Best Team Of The Last 50 Years In Scotland - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Team Of The Last 50 Years In Scotland

If they were all still alive and it matters not a jot what team they played for or whether they were Scottish or not. Stars like Souness, Gazza, etc won't really count as they were way past their peak when playing in Scotland. I picked the last 50 years because past that not many people on here could have seen them play. 

In my time who I can remember play(and from extensive tv coverage) I'd have....

Goram, McGrain, Miller, McLeish, Malpas, Sturrock, Collins, Strachan, Johnstone, Dalglish, Larsson.

It's harder than you think. Especially leaving out guys like Leighton, Gough, Cooper, Laudrup, etc.

Edited by Ormond

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

40 years ago he was playing with Shelbourne......if we were going to include a LL I'd include Lennox who was still turning out against he likes of Real Madrid in the 1/4 Final of the European Cup!

It's from the last 50 years though. Which definitely captures Jinky at his peak, but not quite the likes of Baxter.

I'll go with

Lekovic (had to get a Killie player in ;) )

McGrain

Malpas

Miller

Butcher

Lambert

Gascoigne 

Moravcik

J.  Johnstone 

McCoist

Larsson

Bit of a tough one leaving out King Kenny but I think he played his best stuff in England.

Davie Cooper was my hero growing up but I'd have to put him on the bench too. Lubo's all round game and influence on midfield would be stronger, and Jinky is already in there as a tricky winger.

Left back is a toughie, Mo Malpas was Mr Consistent there without being a true great. Maybe Tierney will take that place in a season or two if he keeps progressing, and stays in Scotland!

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

40 years ago he was playing with Shelbourne......if we were going to include a LL I'd include Lennox who was still turning out against he likes of Real Madrid in the 1/4 Final of the European Cup!

It was Jinky. Like Toepoke has said, it was the last 50 years. Obviously I can't remember him playing at his peak but we all know from media that he was something else. Lennox, yes. Good shout. It is harder than you think though.

Yves Ma-Kalambay

Maurice Ross

Du Wei

Rafael Scheidt

Mo Camara

Yassin Moutouakil

Bob Malcolm

Ross Chisholm

Capucho

Filip Šebo

Christian Nade

Subs: Lionel Letizi, Davide Grassi, Zander Diamond, Edson Braafheid, Emerson, David Witteveen, Jean-Claude Darcheville

Cracking team of players there.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Yves Ma-Kalambay

Maurice Ross

Du Wei

Rafael Scheidt

Mo Camara

Yassin Moutouakil

Bob Malcolm

Ross Chisholm

Capucho

Filip Šebo

Christian Nade

Subs: Lionel Letizi, Davide Grassi, Zander Diamond, Edson Braafheid, Emerson, David Witteveen, Jean-Claude Darcheville

What, no place for Matthias Pogba?

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Yves Ma-Kalambay

Maurice Ross

Du Wei

Rafael Scheidt

Mo Camara

Yassin Moutouakil

Bob Malcolm

Ross Chisholm

Capucho

Filip Šebo

Christian Nade

Don't think JCD belongs in that list.  He had a semi decent scoring record for us and was an OK player.  If you wanted to put in a scheidt Rangers forward you could have went for Jeffers, Ostenstadt, Gayle, Salenko, Kyle, Sandaza etc etc etc.

45 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Don't think JCD belongs in that list.  He had a semi decent scoring record for us and was an OK player.  If you wanted to put in a scheidt Rangers forward you could have went for Jeffers, Ostenstadt, Gayle, Salenko, Kyle, Sandaza etc etc etc.

yeah i thought Darcheville was decent

Klimek, Beniusus and Tullberg were far worse strikers for Hearts than Nade and Witteveem