Best Team Of The Last 50 Years In Scotland - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Team Of The Last 50 Years In Scotland

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Goram

McGrain, Miller, McNeill, Greig

Johnstone, Gascoigne, McStay, Laudrup

Dalglish, Larsson 

McStay was one I thought of too. Earlier on someone mentioned Butcher too and for some reason I forgot about him. I would've paired him with Miller instead of McLeish I think.

34 minutes ago, Ormond said:

McStay was one I thought of too. Earlier on someone mentioned Butcher too and for some reason I forgot about him. I would've paired him with Miller instead of McLeish I think.

Was trying to think of someone more "defensive" in the centre of the park but nothing really stands out and good player he may have been, couldn't really pick someone like Lambert over him. 

16 hours ago, Toepoke said:

He went to Italy with wan leg IIRC...

That was my first thought.

I don't remember him doing much in Italy, he went injured, but hadn't realised he was there 3 years. He should've been at his peak then, but played 40 odd games in 3 years.

45 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

That was my first thought.

I don't remember him doing much in Italy, he went injured, but hadn't realised he was there 3 years. He should've been at his peak then, but played 40 odd games in 3 years.

He was too busy burping in to microphones and making jobby pies for Five Bellies.  #bantz

I'd say Gazza probably played some of the best football of his career while at Rangers, both at club and international level.

10 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

He was too busy burping in to microphones and making jobby pies for Five Bellies.  #bantz

I'd say Gazza probably played some of the best football of his career while at Rangers, both at club and international level.

I think so too.

Gascoigne, Laudrup and Larsson have to be in any XI I'd think, although many of us will be weighted towards 90s onwards due to our age.

I notice Andy Goram is pretty Unanimous, do Stefan Klos or Theo Snelders come into the reckoning at all? Perhaps I'm being swayed by Klos's CV rather than their ability? (Which would also bring in likes of Canniggia, De Boer and the likes).

19 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I think so too.

Gascoigne, Laudrup and Larsson have to be in any XI I'd think, although many of us will be weighted towards 90s onwards due to our age.

I notice Andy Goram is pretty Unanimous, do Stefan Klos or Theo Snelders come into the reckoning at all? Perhaps I'm being swayed by Klos's CV rather than their ability? (Which would also bring in likes of Canniggia, De Boer and the likes).

I remeber when Goram was leaving Rangers a lot of people were really worried that we wouldn't be able to replace him but after about 6 months with Klos we'd more or less forgotten all about him.  I wouldn't say Klos was as good as Goram but he was probably the most consistent and dependable keeper I've seen in my time watching Rangers.

Won't go as far as naming a team coz I'd be here all night and probably still not get it right. 

Some observations though. 

In goal, as much as they were both very good keepers, I'd go for Leighton over Goram every time. Part of me thinks that if they are the two best goalies to play in the Scottish league in the last 50 years, then it seems a bit disappointing. Can't think of better though. Maybe Campbell Money ;)

McGrain and Jardine are without any of a shadow of a doubt the two full backs. No one else even close. 

Centre back there is more competition and most people have covered off the main contenders. 

To suggest Gascoigne was past his peak for me is nonsense. On the contrary I would say his very best days were at Rangers (including that effin goal!).

Laudrup not being included in the 11 is completely unthinkable. 

Equally Larsson is an absolute shoo in for the main striker role. Untouchable. Other than possibly Dougie Somner.

All other positions are open to much debate. 

13 minutes ago, Marky said:

In goal, as much as they were both very good keepers, I'd go for Leighton over Goram every time. Part of me thinks that if they are the two best goalies to play in the Scottish league in the last 50 years, then it seems a bit disappointing. Can't think of better though. Maybe Campbell Money ;)

@Tartantruck's cousin. 

9 hours ago, Marky said:

Won't go as far as naming a team coz I'd be here all night and probably still not get it right. 

Some observations though. 

McGrain and Jardine are without any of a shadow of a doubt the two full backs. No one else even close. 

Centre back there is more competition and most people have covered off the main contenders. 

To suggest Gascoigne was past his peak for me is nonsense. On the contrary I would say his very best days were at Rangers (including that effin goal!).

Laudrup not being included in the 11 is completely unthinkable. 

Equally Larsson is an absolute shoo in for the main striker role. Untouchable. Other than possibly Dougie Somner.

All other positions are open to much debate. 

You think Jardine was that much better than John Greig? I personally don't. I swithered over Jardine, great player, like McGrain could play either full back role equally as well but Greig was named "Greatest ever Ranger" and that suggests the Rangers support viewed him as the better player. I think he was too.

14 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

You think Jardine was that much better than John Greig? I personally don't. I swithered over Jardine, great player, like McGrain could play either full back role equally as well but Greig was named "Greatest ever Ranger" and that suggests the Rangers support viewed him as the better player. I think he was too.

In their hay-day Jardine and McGrain were considered to be two of the best three full backs in the world. The other one was Bertie. John Greig wasn't really a full back, he only moved to that position towards the end of his career when he was getting past his best. At his peak he played right half for Rangers. He played in loads of positions for Scotland. He was versatile enough to play anywhere on the park. But Jardine was a far better full back than Greig, IMO.