Best Team Of The Last 50 Years In Scotland - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Team Of The Last 50 Years In Scotland

21 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Nemsadze was some player come to think of it. 

Take away the whole circus behind it, that Dundee team from around 2000 to 2003/4 on their day were brilliant outstanding to watch. Their days were few and far between though

I still remember picking up the paper and a close up of Edgar Davids was backpage with a picture of Dens park was placed in his glasses, why he ended up going to Barca I'll never know

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Take away the whole circus behind it, that Dundee team from around 2000 to 2003/4 on their day were brilliant outstanding to watch. Their days were few and far between though

I still remember picking up the paper and a close up of Edgar Davids was backpage with a picture of Dens park was placed in his glasses, why he ended up going to Barca I'll never know

My first Wife(yep Parkie) had to go to court to give evidence against the Marrs. She was an office chick at the time when the shit was going on. She was shitting it. 

Edited by Ormond

Non Glasgow 11 then Slasher.

Alan Main, Stewart McKimmie, Sergei Baltacha, Craig Levein, Maurice Malpas, Kevin McAllister, Paul Kane, Colin Cameron, Joe Tortolano, Andy Smith, John Robertson.

Obviously not the best players off the top of everyone's head. But I feel this team would work well together. Main was untouchable at his best. Steel from Levein, Soviet class from Sergei. Dig from Kane, trickery from Crunchie and Cameron. Runs from Joe, feeding crosses for big Andy to knock down for Robbo. :ok:

Edited by Ormond

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Non Glasgow 11 then Slasher.

Alan Main, Stewart McKimmie, Sergei Baltacha, Craig Levein, Maurice Malpas, Kevin McAllister, Paul Kane, Colin Cameron, Joe Tortolano, Andy Smith, John Robertson.

Obviously not the best players off the top of everyone's head. But I feel this team would work well together. Main was untouchable at his best. Steel from Levein, Soviet class from Sergei. Dig from Kane, trickery from Crunchie and Cameron. Runs from Joe, feeding crosses for big Andy to knock down for Robbo. :ok:

Can't believe I left out Hans Gillhaus! 

50 years would allow Martin Buchan in. Not sure when he left Dons but he was in 1970 SC final.  And John Blackley who played instead of Buchan against Zaire in 1974.  Some good goalies-what about Bobby Clark though he may have been goalie in centenary match (0v5) against England. Was Baxter still at Rangers at end of 1967? Pat Stanton whether as midfielder or as central defender. Willie Johnston? Canniggia at Dundee?

1 hour ago, ironbrew said:

50 years would allow Martin Buchan in. Not sure when he left Dons but he was in 1970 SC final.  And John Blackley who played instead of Buchan against Zaire in 1974.  Some good goalies-what about Bobby Clark though he may have been goalie in centenary match (0v5) against England. Was Baxter still at Rangers at end of 1967? Pat Stanton whether as midfielder or as central defender. Willie Johnston? Canniggia at Dundee?

Bobby Clark was always regarded as a good goalkeeper. Yes, he was in goal for the infamous 1973 horror show against England but just because we lost five goals does not necessarily mean that the goalie was at fault for all of them, his teammates must bear a greater responsibility. Clark is actually still working in football aged 71. He is the coach of the University of Notre Dame's football team.

Another good goalkeeper to mention would be Jim Cruickshank of Hearts.

Baxter wasn't at Rangers in 1967. He was transferred to Sunderland in 1965 and finally returned to Rangers in 1969.

Surprised Charlie Nicholas hasn't been mentioned more often - he's mentioned time & time again by many managers from the early 80's as one of the most naturally gifted forwards of his generation.

He should have been a 100 + cap & record goalscorer for us, he made the biggest mistake of his career in 1983 by signing for Arsenal when the all conquering Liverpool where after his signature.

Could score from anywhere, superb strength & first touch, braver than you'd expect but sadly no brain and a lure of the bright lights, in my opinion guys up front for us who had more caps & more goals, (McCoist, Mo Johnstone, Archibald etc etc) couldn't lace his boots !!

Goram

McGrain McLeish Mjalby Malpas

Johnstone Collins Albertz Best

Larsson McCoist

probably big Johan raise an eyebrow but trying not to be nostalgic and go for the easy Scots; I think the more modern footballer is generally better than your Willie Millers etc as much as you don't want it to be.  Goram or Klos a toss up.

38 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Goram

McGrain McLeish Mjalby Malpas

Johnstone Collins Albertz Best

Larsson McCoist

probably big Johan raise an eyebrow but trying not to be nostalgic and go for the easy Scots; I think the more modern footballer is generally better than your Willie Millers etc as much as you don't want it to be.  Goram or Klos a toss up.

Best?? As in George? He was, and had been for a long time, washed up when he played in Scotland.

On 25/08/2017 at 10:06 AM, Mox said:

From my era.

Snelders

McNaughton    Sauzee      Mjallby      Numan

Jess        Van Bronckhorst    

Nakamura         Moravcik         Skacel

Larsson

Hard to believe that's the only mention of Van Bronckhorst in this thread.  Played in Scotland till his mid 20s then went on to win the Champions League with Barcelona and captain his country in a World Cup final.  Much better player than Gascoigne for me.

Also Kevin McNaughton's only mention on the thread.  That's ok though.