Best Team Of The Last 50 Years In Scotland - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Team Of The Last 50 Years In Scotland

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

In their hay-day Jardine and McGrain were considered to be two of the best three full backs in the world. The other one was Bertie. John Greig wasn't really a full back, he only moved to that position towards the end of his career when he was getting past his best. At his peak he played right half for Rangers. He played in loads of positions for Scotland. He was versatile enough to play anywhere on the park. But Jardine was a far better full back than Greig, IMO.

Fair points. I didn't realise he had played in as many positions across the park, I had just always thought, and vaguely remembered him as a full back and between that and his achievements for Scotland and Rangers I felt he was a shoe-in for full back. I remember McGrain being lauded as a world class full back but didn't realise Jardine had the same stature, not doubting your comments, just wasn't aware of it myself.

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

In their hay-day Jardine and McGrain were considered to be two of the best three full backs in the world. The other one was Bertie.

The problem (for this team) is both McGrain and Jardine were primarily right backs.

3 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

Snelders

McGrain, Miller, McLeish, Numan

Laudrup, Strachan, Collins

Dalglish, Harper, Larrson

Good shout re Arthur Numan, I'd forgotten about him, unlike the HMRC.

On 8/22/2017 at 11:17 AM, Fairbairn said:

I remeber when Goram was leaving Rangers a lot of people were really worried that we wouldn't be able to replace him but after about 6 months with Klos we'd more or less forgotten all about him.  I wouldn't say Klos was as good as Goram but he was probably the most consistent and dependable keeper I've seen in my time watching Rangers.

I think that was also the case with Aberdeen with Leighton and Snelders. Was Snelders not player of the year in his 1st season at Aberdeen??

19 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

I think that was also the case with Aberdeen with Leighton and Snelders. Was Snelders not player of the year in his 1st season at Aberdeen??

I had an Italia 90 sticker book and just mind thinking it was cool that Aberdeen got a mention for Holland next to his name at the time.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

The problem (for this team) is both McGrain and Jardine were primarily right backs.

Wasn't a problem in 1974.;)

We haven't had a better left back than McGrain. So he gets that place easy. The only one that I think would come close to Jardine for the right back spot would be Gough. But a lot of that would be down to his threat in the opposition penalty box.

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Wasn't a problem in 1974.;)

We haven't had a better left back than McGrain. So he gets that place easy. The only one that I think would come close to Jardine for the right back spot would be Gough. But a lot of that would be down to his threat in the opposition penalty box.

Did he not play as a central defender for much of his career though (after Utd) ?

That's the thing about the McGrain/Jardine combo. Is that they could both play either position but particularly McGrain. I never gave a monkeys if Danny was playing left or right back. Even growing up as a Buddies fan and hating The OF with equal passion I absolutely adored Danny McGrain as a Scotland player. The guy was an unbelievably talented player and at his peak, comfortably the best full back in the world for me. I also have an abiding memory of greetin my eyes out as an 8 year old watching Sandy Jardine waving to the Scotland fans after the Yugoslavia game in 1974. He looked so sad and as a wee kid I felt like he shared my pain.

As a wee aside, my faither in law played as a winger for Morton. He's no shy at blowing his own trumpet (in a good way) and likes to wax lyrical about playing in a pre season friendly against Leeds Utd during which he put World Cup winner Terry Cooper on his arse several times. But he maintains that in his entire career which includes playing against him even at school, the only player he could never ever beat was Danny McGrain.

13 hours ago, fringo said:

Did he not play as a central defender for much of his career though (after Utd) ?

Aye, but he wasn't good enough in that position to get into this team. He was a much better right back than central defender. Jim McLean agrees with me.

14 hours ago, Marky said:

As a wee aside, my faither in law played as a winger for Morton. He's no shy at blowing his own trumpet (in a good way) and likes to wax lyrical about playing in a pre season friendly against Leeds Utd during which he put World Cup winner Terry Cooper on his arse several times. But he maintains that in his entire career which includes playing against him even at school, the only player he could never ever beat was Danny McGrain.

I'm sure the story's true but the bit in bold isn't.

Edited by Toepoke

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I'm sure the story's true but the bit in bold isn't.

To be clear the story is my father in laws, but I added the WC winner bit, simply because I thought he was. I can see now his England career didn't start until 1969. Don't know why I thought that.

I stand corrected.

4 hours ago, Marky said:

To be clear the story is my father in laws, but I added the WC winner bit, simply because I thought he was. I can see now his England career didn't start until 1969. Don't know why I thought that.

I stand corrected.

No worries. Jackie Charlton was the Leeds man who won the World Cup, although Norman Hunter was in the squad too. Cohen and Wilson were the full backs.

13 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Russell Latapy would be in there

Voted as 33rd best player in the world by his fellow professionals while playing for Hibs

Was that not purely off the back of Pa Broon getting a vote as he was Scotland boss at that time???

I gave up at trying to pick the wide players in a 4-4-2.

How do you pick from Brian Laudrup, Gordon Strachan, Davie Provan, Ralph Milne, Peter Weir, Ian Scanlon, Eammon Bannon, Davie Cooper, Andy Ritchie and many more.

1 minute ago, slasher said:

I gave up at trying to pick the wide players in a 4-4-2.

How do you pick from Brian Laudrup, Gordon Strachan, Davie Provan, Ralph Milne, Peter Weir, Ian Scanlon, Eammon Bannon, Davie Cooper, Andy Ritchie and many more.

You stop at the first one! :wink2:

From my era.

Snelders

McNaughton    Sauzee      Mjallby      Numan

Jess        Van Bronckhorst    

Nakamura         Moravcik         Skacel

Larsson

Slow work day, so here's a non Glasgow 11.

Niemi

McKimmie.   Miller.  McLeish.  Kopel.

Latapy.   Nemsadze.  Hartley.  Weir.

Arnott.    Sturrock.

Almost impossible. 

Players I'd be looking at:

Leighton - 45/91 shut outs at international level 

Danny McGrain

Willie Miller

Lubo Moravcik 

Henrick Larrson

Arthur Numan

Jim Bett

Paul McStay

Ally McCoist

Sandy Jardine

Jimmy Johnstone

Alex McLeish

Gordon Strachan

Stefan Klos

Theo Snelders

Charlie Nicholas

Davie Cooper

Mo Johnston

Roy Aitken for leadership qualities

John Greig - see above

Peter Weir

Paul Sturrock

David Narey

3 hours ago, slasher said:

Niemi

Arnott.    Sturrock.

Nemsadze was some player come to think of it. 

3 hours ago, slasher said:

Niemi

Arnott.    Sturrock.

Non Glasgow 11 ???