U21 Squad - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

U21 Squad

Squirrelhumper

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

In today's Scotsman it says that McTominay didn't want to be called up as he wants time to think about it!

You're either committed or your not, this isn't club football where you decide your next career move. 

You would have thought that Gemmill would have maybe kept the reasoning for McTominays exclusion quiet as letting the press know why hes not in puts a lot more pressure on the boy as well as hes going to get a few haters saying he shouldnt ever be considered for Scotland again

You wonder what the chances are of him making it will be, will he be a Fletcher or a Love, Stewart, Rankin etc 

6 minutes ago, borojock said:

You would have thought that Gemmill would have maybe kept the reasoning for McTominays exclusion quiet as letting the press know why hes not in puts a lot more pressure on the boy as well as hes going to get a few haters saying he shouldnt ever be considered for Scotland again

You wonder what the chances are of him making it will be, will he be a Fletcher or a Love, Stewart, Rankin etc 

Probably very slim.  Rashford and Lindgaard are the only two to have made any real progress in the first team in the last couple of seasons.  McTominay could easily go the way of Fonsu-Mensa, McNair, Blackett, Varela, Powell, Januzaj, Borthwick Jackson...  All these players got a game last season and are nowhere near the first team.

It's more likely than not that he'll go the same way as Sam Gallagher of Southampton who knocked us back for England.  Got a few u20 appearances and then disappeared into the Championship.  At 21 he's still got time, but these sort of decisions seem so short-sighted.

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

If he has an English mum he's entitled to think about it, although if i was his dad i'd be going ballistic.

I think his mum is half Scottish as well.

He has been linked with a loan move to Derby of late.

He has actually been in Scotland squads a few times over the years, but never actually played and can go long spells between recalls (yet never received a England call up).

At 20 its a bit of a odd age to do this (he missed out in the U20 World Cup, so England can not dangle that carrot in front of him, and will be interesting to see if he makes England next U21 sqaud) as he is not really in that top category of Man United youth team prospects like Marcus Rashford.

Press making a mountain out of a mole hill maybe or is he trying to get himself promoted straight into the first team squad?

21 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I think his mum is half Scottish as well.

He has been linked with a loan move to Derby of late.

He has actually been in Scotland squads a few times over the years, but never actually played and can go long spells between recalls (yet never received a England call up).

At 20 its a bit of a odd age to do this (he missed out in the U20 World Cup, so England can not dangle that carrot in front of him, and will be interesting to see if he makes England next U21 sqaud) as he is not really in that top category of Man United youth team prospects like Marcus Rashford.

Press making a mountain out of a mole hill maybe or is he trying to get himself promoted straight into the first team squad?

He's grown about a foot in the last 18 months, which completely changes the picture in terms of 1st team football. The EPL love a 6ft 4 midfielder who can control a ball. Fair enough, i suppose.

15 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

He's grown about a foot in the last 18 months, which completely changes the picture in terms of 1st team football. The EPL love a 6ft 4 midfielder who can control a ball. Fair enough, i suppose.

Given the summer of 2017 has been Englands summer at youth tournaments, and that he is 21 in December, he is a bit late for the party, and I doubt he will force his way into Southgate's plans any time soon (at least when Gallagher and Targett jumped ship, they were 16/17)

Edited by wanderer

Was streaming the Stoke game last night and Souttar looked decent. Seemed to be playing at right back!? So is he a CB/RB then?

He's also a giant. I did hear at Dundee United he was 6'6 but he must be more than that.

Souttar & McTominay the players you'd like to see in the squad but all in all pretty exciting.

Be interesting to see how good Greg Taylor gets after his showing in the tournament during the summer.

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

Was streaming the Stoke game last night and Souttar looked decent. Seemed to be playing at right back!? So is he a CB/RB then?

He's also a giant. I did hear at Dundee United he was 6'6 but he must be more than that.

Souttar & McTominay the players you'd like to see in the squad but all in all pretty exciting.

Be interesting to see how good Greg Taylor gets after his showing in the tournament during the summer.

Are you Ricky Sbragia?

2 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yes.

We need to get Kieran Tierney out the squad. He's only 5'10 so shouldn't ever even have made it as a professional footballer.

I'm surprised you can correctly spell the name of a player who plays in Scotland. 

4 hours ago, Mazziessc said:

Appears he was actually selected too. Anyone who needs to “think” about playing for Scotland can GTF IMHO.

Spot on. If he has to think about playing for us he can do one.

If he does play for us now it'll be more to do with his CV than pride in presenting us.

Give me guys like Darren Fletcher, Kieran Tierney any day.