U21 Squad - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

U21 Squad

Squirrelhumper

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Too many midfielders around, not enough central defenders, right backs and strikers ;)

At the time of posting under one of the photographs there is this caption:

"Hamilton boss Martin Canning picked up the phone to see why Scot Gemmill was not selected" :lol:

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Wee roaster...  tell him to foxtrot oscar.  In fact I would do worse than that.  Full international cap him for two minutes and never call him again.  Really sick of all these plastic Irish players.

32 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Wee roaster...  tell him to foxtrot oscar.  In fact I would do worse than that.  Full international cap him for two minutes and never call him again.  Really sick of all these plastic Irish players.

FFS that post was like something off FollowFollow. Nae need for that kind of pish.

Let's take a wee moment to look at the players they have "knicked fae us" - Owen Coyle and Bernie Slaven were absolutely no loss to Scotland whatsoever. It's debatable whether Tommy Coyne was a short term loss. Ray Houghton was perfectly entitled to play for them seeing as it was his father's homeland. Aiden McGeady never wanted to play for us. And James McCarthy very probably would have played for Scotland if only Archie Knox hadn't been such a fücking stupid cünt.

As I've said before, some people actually want players to switch to Ireland just so that they can have a moan, with thinly veiled sectarian overtones, about "them" taking "our" players. 

Were you this outraged when South Africa approached Callum Paterson a couple of years ago or when Arfield switched to Canada ?

Before his first Scotland cap, Charlie Mulgrew openly said he'd consider playing for the USA if Scotland didn't come calling. Never heard any outrage then.

If Ziggy Gordon declares for Poland tomorrow or Islam Feruz for Somalia, I won't be losing any sleep.

20 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Eh ? It's Canning doing the agitating. Leave the player alone unless you know different ..

Precisely. Docherty could have expressed himself better but he did say that he's still committed to Scotland and wants to get back in the U21 team. 

Sadly it would appear that oor Malc has rather a nasty 19th century view of the Irish. 

Edited by ErsatzThistle

There is absolutely nothing sectarian in my post and I resent the implication.  As you point out there is a long history of Ireland taking Scottish players.  I  couldn't care less if it was any country.  A player should nominate his country within the existing rules at the time of signing first professional contract and that would put an end to this.  What are you talking about with 19th century view of the irish?  What are you actually talking about?? No relevance to anything in my post.

19 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

There is absolutely nothing sectarian in my post and I resent the implication.  As you point out there is a long history of Ireland taking Scottish players.  I  couldn't care less if it was any country.  A player should nominate his country within the existing rules at the time of signing first professional contract and that would put an end to this.  What are you talking about with 19th century view of the irish?  What are you actually talking about?? No relevance to anything in my post.

There is a clear xenophobic tone to your post. Any nation other than Ireland and I'll bet you'd shrug your shoulders, but "them" on the other hand .....

And as I've posted. Coyle and Slaven were no loss at all. Coyne is debatable but had no long term effect. Houghton was perfectly entitled to play for them. McGeady never wanted to play for us, also his big youthful potential was only partially fulfilled. McCarthy was ignored by a stupid, negligent coach who was then in charge of our youth teams, again his youthful potential has only partially been fulfilled. It's hardly the rich haul of players the Irish have torn from oor poor dear bosom like your portraying is it ? 

Why don't you put your unfortunate prejudiced aside and actually read the article ? The lad wants to play for us and is keen to get back into the U21 team. 

Can just imagine poor old Malc taking a flakey when he found out Owen Coyle was going to play "fir them" :rollsmile:

Edited by ErsatzThistle

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

There is a clear xenophobic tone to your post. Any nation other than Ireland and I'll bet you'd shrug your shoulders, but "them" on the other hand .....

And as I've posted. Coyle and Slaven were no loss at all. Coyne is debatable but had no long term effect. Houghton was perfectly entitled to play for them. McGeady never wanted to play for us, also his big youthful potential was only partially fulfilled. McCarthy was ignored by a stupid, negligent coach who was then in charge of our youth teams, again his youthful potential has only partially been fulfilled. It's hardly the rich haul of players the Irish have torn from oor poor dear bosom like your portraying is it ? 

Why don't you put your unfortunate prejudiced aside and actually read the article ? The lad wants to play for us and is keen to get back into the U21 team. 

I would have exactly he same views if it was England.  And how dare you misrepresent me by stating otherwise.  There is not one note or hint of xenaphobia, sectarianism, 'unfortunate prejudice' or anything else you accuse me of in my post.  You are very good at reading between the lines and coming to your own (wrong) conclusion on some hidden meaning behind my post.  My thoughts are straightforward...  Ireland have a long history of picking Scots, as you yourself have pointed out.  The quality of these individuals is irrelevant.  I blame he individuals for turning their back on their country rather than fighting for a place in the team.  I know that I could never pull on the shirt and represent Ireland... or any other country for that matter as I'm not Irish.  As I stated in my last post - you nail your colours to the mast when you turn professional and you stick to it.  And what's all this pish about it being on 'follow follow'...?  This is the ta website... nothing to do with club football.

27 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I would have exactly he same views if it was England.  And how dare you misrepresent me by stating otherwise.  There is not one note or hint of xenaphobia, sectarianism, 'unfortunate prejudice' or anything else you accuse me of in my post.  You are very good at reading between the lines and coming to your own (wrong) conclusion on some hidden meaning behind my post.  My thoughts are straightforward...  Ireland have a long history of picking Scots, as you yourself have pointed out.  The quality of these individuals is irrelevant.  I blame he individuals for turning their back on their country rather than fighting for a place in the team.  I know that I could never pull on the shirt and represent Ireland... or any other country for that matter as I'm not Irish.  As I stated in my last post - you nail your colours to the mast when you turn professional and you stick to it.  And what's all this pish about it being on 'follow follow'...?  This is the ta website... nothing to do with club football.

Hope you enjoy languishing in the 19th Century moaning about the Irish coming over here and stealing oor jobs, oor wummin and oor fitba players :rollsmile:

Sad

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Can just imagine poor old Malc taking a flakey when he found out Owen Coyle was going to play "fir them" :rollsmile:

WTF are you on about. How is there a clear xenophobic tone in his post. Seems to me he merely wants an end to the ambiguity of international football representation regardless of whether it's Ireland or Iceland who are 'poaching ' our players. You are packaging his argument into what you believe it to be rather than what it is. 

Xenophobic? Jesus Christ! 

This is my second run in with him...  the last being over the poppy debacle.  I'm amused by the conclusions he jumps to on the basis of an opinion on something else.  The last time I was accused of being a Rangers fan, etc, as I personally support wearing a poppy.  I'm not a rangers fan btw, not that there is anything wrong with that if I was.  

Back on the subject of the u21s victory, I thought both teams were very poor technically and couldn't string two passes together. The positives were the defence with souttar and McKenna looking solid. Stevie Mallan looks like a good player but it's strange why he is not playing for Barnsley at all so far this season.

17 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Back on the subject of the u21s victory, I thought both teams were very poor technically and couldn't string two passes together. The positives were the defence with souttar and McKenna looking solid. Stevie Mallan looks like a good player but it's strange why he is not playing for Barnsley at all so far this season.

To claim the teams were poor technically is nonsense. This generation of players are miles ahead technically compared with the last 20 years or so. Whether they have the desire and will to win, something that previous generations had, remains to be seen. Take Tom Boyd for example, technically limited but would run all day and put his body on the line, compared with Greg Taylor - technically miles better but currently unproven in other aspects.

12 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

To claim the teams were poor technically is nonsense. This generation of players are miles ahead technically compared with the last 20 years or so. Whether they have the desire and will to win, something that previous generations had, remains to be seen. Take Tom Boyd for example, technically limited but would run all day and put his body on the line, compared with Greg Taylor - technically miles better but currently unproven in other aspects.

I agree with the point you are making but Taylor loves a tackle too!

Image result for greg taylor joey barton

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

They couldn't string two passes together and just lumped long balls up to Burke for him to chase. Poor defending from Holland allowed us a win against an average Dutch u21 team. You must of been watching a different match from me as the ability of both teams was pretty poor imo. On the positive side our defence was solid and we finished the chances well.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

They couldn't string two passes together and just lumped long balls up to Burke for him to chase. Poor defending from Holland allowed us a win against an average Dutch u21 team. You must of been watching a different match from me as the ability of both teams was pretty poor imo. On the positive side our defence was solid and we finished the chances well.

I can't agree. They played out from the back and played quick one twos in the middle of the park. Some long passes were played to Burke because he's one of the quickest players in world football, and i admit that tactic lost possession often, except for the second goal.