Team v Lithuania - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team v Lithuania

slasher

Not convinced Strachan will quit or be sacked if we don't qualify. Depends on the next 4 results/performances, if we are decent and just miss out I wouldn't be surprised if he's still around for the next qualifiers. Wouldn't bother me too much, I don't see an obvious replacement and have no faith in SFA finding an improvement.

Any thoughts on the next manager? Can't think of anybody all that inspiring, we missed our chance with Lagerback.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we fail to make the play off's, I think Strachan will walk to let someone else take over.

England result has effectively bought him the rest of this campaign (regardless of Friday's result).

Last two results have certainly got the wind back in the sails, but we have never had a comfortable time of it in Lithuania, so expect a hard game out there, but (quietly.....) confident of a 2-0 win, and hopefully rounded off with a nice 4-0 victory at Hampden next week :ok: 

14 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Any thoughts on the next manager? Can't think of anybody all that inspiring, we missed our chance with Lagerback.

If Strachan was to walk just now, the SFA would probably put together the usual scrapping the bottom of the barrel list of usual suspects (Eck, Moyes, Coyle, Davis, Lambert etc.... with McInnes added in to at least get some excitement added in).

With a list like that (which would most likely see Moyes are the clear out and out fav, followed by Lambert) you would hope that the SFA would cast their net a lot further this time.

Edited by wanderer

27 minutes ago, wanderer said:

If Strachan was to walk just now, the SFA would probably put together the usual scrapping the bottom of the barrel list of usual suspects (Eck, Moyes, Coyle, Davis, Lambert etc.... with McInnes added in to at least get some excitement added in).

With a list like that (which would most likely see Moyes are the clear out and out fav, followed by Lambert) you would hope that the SFA would cast their net a lot further this time.

Looking at that list of names that's exactly why it wouldn't bother me if we had Strachan for another campaign. Just can't see the blazers looking any further than the usual suspects and getting someone surprising or innovative, it will be the same as it always is. We'll get someone who's had a bit of success somewhere but whose career has stalled and would take the Scotland job to get them back on track. 

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I'd swap Gordon for any of the other keepers and Forrest swapped for Ritchie but if strachan went with what parklife posted I would accept it because that team should be capable of beating Lithuania and Malta. 

Yes, agree with this. Gordon is off the rails. Forrest and Ritchie are close, but Ritchie looked at the top of his game at the weekend. 

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Graeme sourness would be good.  Or I would take back Walter smith or Alex Mcleish.  Maybe take a punt on derek machines.

What I'd do for a convincing win on Friday.  No one is owed anything in life, but for once I'd LOVE a non-stressful away tie with Scotland.

Strachan will move on - one way or the other - after then eventual end of this campaign.  Happy with Souness, Smith, McLeish, Lambert or Moyes.

Ideally I'd go with a qualified foreign manager, but the suit brigade in Scottish football is so colloquial (a world in which Kris Boyd's opinion of a manager matters), that we could have Simeone and people would claim he knew nothing, as if a provincial backwater was really that hard to understand.

--------------Gordon-------------

Tierney--Martin---Mulgrew-Robertson

------------Brown------Bannan--------

Anya--------Armstrong----------Fraser

----------------Griffiths---------------

We shouldn't need two defensive sitters so I think this game could suit Bannan beside Brown, particularly if we have decent movement from the 4 in front of him. 

On 29/08/2017 at 7:26 PM, andyD said:

Everyone seems to be going for the back 4.. I wouldn't be surprised if we went back 3 like against England.

Gordon
Martin - Berra - Tierney
Anya - Brown - Morrison - Robertson
Fraser - Armstrong
Griffiths

I think the formation makes sense. Solves the problem of having no on-form left midfielder. Solves the problem of getting Robertson and Tierney into the same team.

I don't think Fraser will start though. And I would be surprised if Morrison or Anya starts.

Pretty sure Forest will start. Ritchie can't be far away either.

7 minutes ago, davew said:

I think the formation makes sense. Solves the problem of having no on-form left midfielder. Solves the problem of getting Robertson and Tierney into the same team.

I don't think Fraser will start though. And I would be surprised if Morrison or Anya starts.

With the game tonight on a plastic pitch, it will be a pretty high tempo game, so I can see Strachan going with Anya and Forest for pace (while Ritchie can create something out of nothing, I just do not think he has the pace for a game like this, and will see him on the bench).... Matt Phillips is a good outside bet for a surprise starter tonight I feel.

Edited by wanderer

-------------------------------------McGregor

Tierney------------Berra----------------Mulgrew--------------Robertson

---------------------------Brown----------McArthur

Fraser--------------------------Armstrong--------------------Snodgrass

------------------------------------Griffiths

1 hour ago, davew said:

Fair comments.. i guess the problem with the 343 is competition for places is too high in certain areas.

It need 2 defensive mids, so our attacking mids are competing for the inside forward position. We also have a bunch of wide men who are not really good enough for the 'wingback' roll, so also have to fit into the inside forward role. That means all these guys are fighting for just 2 positions:

Armstrong, Bannan, Crainey, Forest, Fraser, Philips, Ritchie, Snodgrass.
8 players for 2 positions.

Probably also true for Oli Burke and Jamie Murphy too, tho Murphy does work pretty hard defensively so he might manage the wide role.

The problem with this heavy competition is that these are are most of our better players.. These are the guys we would most like on the pitch.

So while I like the 343 and it shields our less than stellar defense well, and uses our fullbacks attacking strengths well, it also leaves a lot of talent on the bench.

So while I think i'd probably go with the 343 right now, it'd also be very valid to go with a 433/451 like:

Gordon
Anya - Martin - Tierney - Robertson
Bannan - Brown - Armstrong
Forrest  -  Griffiths  -  Fraser

With Bannan and Armstrong pushing on, linking play and putting balls thru. It's very much a 'front foot' way to set up, and I think we'll be a little more cautious against Lithuania as they have shown they can actually play a bit of football. Honestly I think a 4231 is most likely, but I don't see any benefit of that over 343. 433 Potentially does have some benefits for these two games, but it does require us to believe in ourselves and take a bit of a risk, trusting that we've got enough to go and beat them. I think caution will be the chosen path tho.

13 minutes ago, andyD said:

Fair comments.. i guess the problem with the 343 is competition for places is too high in certain areas.

The problem with this heavy competition is that these are are most of our better players.. These are the guys we would most like on the pitch.

Good point. If we start Tierney out-of-position at right-back in a 4-2-3-1 then it allows us to play 3 of our creative players instead of just 2.

But it means we need to play someone out of position at left-midfield (even Fraser has been playing on the right this season).

Another slight problem with 3-4-3 is that we only really have Anya and Whittaker that can play as right wing backs.

25 minutes ago, davew said:

Another slight problem with 3-4-3 is that we only really have Anya and Whittaker that can play as right wing backs.

Patterson's not far away, these two games just came a touch too soon for him to be in the squad. He'd be pretty perfect for that right back spot, with Anya as the back up player. Chris Cadden could be a possibility in the future, or Tony Ralston at Celtic.

Interestingly Donald Love was using in defensive mid by Sunderland recently, which might not be the worst positional change for us given we're not currently blessed with a lot of up and coming defensive mids.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

It need 2 defensive mids, so our attacking mids are competing for the inside forward position. We also have a bunch of wide men who are not really good enough for the 'wingback' roll, so also have to fit into the inside forward role. That means all these guys are fighting for just 2 positions:

Probably also true for Oli Burke and Jamie Murphy too, tho Murphy does work pretty hard defensively so he might manage the wide role.

So while I like the 343 and it shields our less than stellar defense well, and uses our fullbacks attacking strengths well, it also leaves a lot of talent on the bench.

So while I think i'd probably go with the 343 right now, it'd also be very valid to go with a 433/451 like:

Gordon

With Bannan and Armstrong pushing on, linking play and putting balls thru. It's very much a 'front foot' way to set up, and I think we'll be a little more cautious against Lithuania as they have shown they can actually play a bit of football. Honestly I think a 4231 is most likely, but I don't see any benefit of that over 343. 433 Potentially does have some benefits for these two games, but it does require us to believe in ourselves and take a bit of a risk, trusting that we've got enough to go and beat them. I think caution will be the chosen path tho.

That team would get slaughtered at set pieces. 

On 8/30/2017 at 7:57 PM, Malcolm said:

Graeme sourness would be good.  Or I would take back Walter smith or Alex Mcleish.  Maybe take a punt on derek machines.

Souness has been out of the game (coaching wise) since 2006..... he is clearly happy working with Sky these days (replacing Eck in 2007 is probably the closest he was ever going to get to the job)

26 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

Won a trophy with them mind 

When Eck had the job last time, it was clear he was only in it until a offer from down south came along (Carson Yeung had just taken over at City and promise of £50m to use in the transfer market).... while Eck has became something of a joke down south after his spells at Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest, I was actually surprised to find out how well he did at Ghent.

Would I take him back now?...... He would probably be 3rd-ish on my list behind Lambert and Moyes (based on what is available for the foreseeable future)

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Gordon

No chance will Strachan go into a game without a recognized central defender playing!

While Celtic tried out Tierney in the cup, no chance will Strachan do anything like that tonight.... remember Gibraltar where he tinkered with a new formation and idea's, and we could not string two passes together which left us exposed at the back and resulted in Gibraltars goal).

Mulgrew will most certainly start tonight, with most likely Berra along side him.

Gordon

Tierney                              Robertson

Martin           Mulgrew

Brown

Ritchie      Armstrong     Bannan    Snodgrass

Griffith

Edited by robbo cop

1 hour ago, robbo cop said:

Gordon

Tierney                              Robertson

Martin           Mulgrew

Brown

Ritchie      Armstrong     Bannan    Snodgrass

Griffith

Brave formation.  Gordon at striker is a bit of a risk imo.