Team v Lithuania - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team v Lithuania

slasher

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gordon all day long. Hes flawed but miles better than mcgregor.

All the Celtic players should start. It's really just about filling in the gaps

Hoping Celtic's unbeaten run coming to the end the other night doesnt shatter the belief and verve with which their Scottish players have been playing.

McGregor not exactly had a strong start to the season with Hull, and no chance Strachan will chuck Archer straight into the deep.

Fair to say there there has been a number of prone to howlers crept into Gordon's form over the last year or so, but he is still arguably the best we have got & have no issue with him keeping the No1 jersey, which I expect him to do over the remainder of the campaign.

17 minutes ago, slasher said:

I wouldn't have Gordon in goal for a start! He keeps losing stupid goals at his near post and his decision making has gone to pot again! McGregor for me ?

I'd keep him goals. I'm really not convinced that McGregor would do any better plus I'd play the Celtic players.

Center backs best of a bad bunch.

Snodgrass should be on the bench.

I'm suggesting Cairney but could also swap him for McArthur.

Gordon

Tierney Martin Mulgrew Robertson

Brown Armstrong

Forrest Cairney Fraser

Griffiths

Obviously depends on how the game is going but I hope he'd go 2 up top early in the second half if we're not winning.

3 minutes ago, drew said:

Gordon

Tierney Martin Mulgrew Robertson

Brown Armstrong

Forrest Cairney Fraser

Griffiths

Do not think you are far away with that.

I think he will most certainly go back to 4 across the back, with probably Cairney filling in for Morrison.... as much as people knocking Snoddy just now, I can not see Strachan dropping him, and will play Forrest and Snodgrass behind Griffiths (I would actually have been tempted to give Matt Phillips a run out v Lithuania)

1 minute ago, wanderer said:

Do not think you are far away with that.

I think he will most certainly go back to 4 across the back, with probably Cairney filling in for Morrison.... as much as people knocking Snoddy just now, I can not see Strachan dropping him, and will play Forrest and Snodgrass behind Griffiths (I would actually have been tempted to give Matt Phillips a run out v Lithuania)

I have a funny feeling he might drop Snodgrass for Fraser.

It's who replaces Morrison I have question marks on. Cairney or McArthur would be my choices. Wouldn't be surprised if Darren Fletcher comes back in but that would be to negative for my liking.

Would like to see Matt Phillips play a game in the future.

1 hour ago, drew said:

I have a funny feeling he might drop Snodgrass for Fraser.

It's who replaces Morrison I have question marks on. Cairney or McArthur would be my choices. Wouldn't be surprised if Darren Fletcher comes back in but that would be to negative for my liking.

Would like to see Matt Phillips play a game in the future.

It's hardly negative in a midfield including Armstrong, Forrest and Snodgrass.

1 minute ago, Reevesy said:

It's hardly negative in a midfield including Armstrong, Forrest and Snodgrass.

I'm just thinking for a game where we need to win you probably want an extra player in there who could get you a goal or create one from midfield. For that reason I wouldn't start Fletcher but he might be needed if we're holding onto a lead.

If you think of Celtic they often play 4 midfielders who can get them a goal or assist + Brown even in Europe.

With the form Celtic are on, really you need to squeeze as much of that into the Scotland team as possible (granted, this brings up the McGregor argument) and fully expect Gordon, Tierney, Brown, Armstrong and Griffiths to start in Vilnius, so that is effectively half the team on the teamsheet already, with Robertson, Mulgrew and Martin making up the rest, with just question marks on will Snodgrass get the call and who will slot into Morrison's role..... but then, Strachan does enjoy a curveball or two in his team selection, so would not overly shock me if he found a place for Anya or Bannan into his starting line up.

15 minutes ago, slasher said:

Wouldn't mind having a look at Tierney at centre back. Not for Lithuania but Malta at home definitely. We desperately need options there.

I think that will be tried out one day, but Malta were a pretty physical side when we played them last year (especially up front), and do not think it should even be considered against them.

17 minutes ago, slasher said:

Wouldn't mind having a look at Tierney at centre back. Not for Lithuania but Malta at home definitely. We desperately need options there.

I get what you're saying about options but he'd be wasted at centre back for me, especially against Malta. One of his strong points is getting up the line to support the winger and putting balls into the box. 

I also don't expect Malta to be in our box much at Hampden and a quiet night for him won't tell us much about whether he's a capable CB or not.

6 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

I get what you're saying about options but he'd be wasted at centre back for me, especially against Malta. One of his strong points is getting up the line to support the winger and putting balls into the box. 

I also don't expect Malta to be in our box much at Hampden and a quiet night for him won't tell us much about whether he's a capable CB or not.

Yeah I love him at full back but we have good options particularly at left back. Berra, Martin, Hanley and Mulgrew all have a limited life span. It's something we need to look at sooner rather than later.

1 minute ago, slasher said:

Yeah I love him at full back but we have good options particularly at left back. Berra, Martin, Hanley and Mulgrew all have a limited life span. It's something we need to look at sooner rather than later.

We wish Hanley had a limited life span. He's only 25/26.

21 hours ago, Reevesy said:

It's a fair point.  I'd expected there to have been a great chance if Paterson was available at right back.  Unfortunately Whittaker is the only other option, and I'd far rather have Tierney at RB than Whittaker.

If Ralston can make the RB spot at Celtic his, then we'd have more options.  Gary Medel and Mascherano have developed into fantastic CBs at international level and are tiny, so I have no problem with Tierney playing there for Scotland as we search for a decent CB.

I haven't seen much of Lithuania in a while, but they didn't look great shakes at Hampden.  IMO we can't afford to start with Snodgrass, who's unlikely to be match fit (never mind being in form).

Gordon

Tierney - Martin - Mulgrew - Robertson

Brown - McArthur

Forrest - Armstrong - Anya

Griffiths

Gordon doesn't seem to be a man who likes to take risks.  I'd prefer Phillips/Fraser to start but they have very little international experience...  Also a chance of Cairney getting a game.  

D.Fletcher still more than capable of doing a job, playing 90mins in EPL every week without letting anyone down. Toss up between him and McArthur.

Next two games Bannan should step up, otherwise he's had his chance.

Armstrong has lost his Celtic place so misses out despite looking good when ge's played for Scotland. 

I'd go for 

Gordon

Tierney   Martin   Mulgrew   Robertson

Brown     Bannan

Fraser    Armstrong    Phillips

Griffiths

I cant wait for these two games i really think we can win both games and if we do and results go our way in the other two games we could be in with a real shot for 2nd place. However final two games could be tricky more so Slovakia than Slovenia. My fear is we somehow manage to get second place but by some cruel twist were 9th best runner up and miss out on the playoffs - that would be gutting