Monkey problem - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

So the wee man is two and very good at his animal identifications. Problem is, whenever he sees a gorilla on tv or in a book he insists it's a monkey. The question is, should i continue with telling him he's right and hope he understands the distinction in due course or be tough now and insist he gets it right? The missus keeps saying well done and I want to scream, "a gorilla is not a monkey, its an ape".

Similarly with camels and dromedaries.

2 year old give the wee man a break you'll wanting him to differentiate between species of fish next at that age he sees a primate n thinks monkey hes sorting things into groups in his own head that's how children learn 

Guest flumax

I know how you feel. I was the same with mine. I resorted to saying things like "well done, it is a bit like a monkey". That way not crushing their self esteem, but hoping once they twig they'll lead to ask what it is. 

20 minutes ago, flumax said:

I know how you feel. I was the same with mine. I resorted to saying things like "well done, it is a bit like a monkey". That way not crushing their self esteem, but hoping once they twig they'll lead to ask what it is. 

Is probably about the best thing to do. At the nurturing stage, positive reinforcement is incredibly important for brain development, particularly related to being able to form relationships. The more smiles, cuddles, and encouragement, the better off the child will be in terms of mental and emotional health. So go out of your way to praise praise praise. (Am studying to be a Primary Teacher !)

On 8/26/2017 at 2:50 PM, killiefaetheferry said:

Is probably about the best thing to do. At the nurturing stage, positive reinforcement is incredibly important for brain development, particularly related to being able to form relationships. The more smiles, cuddles, and encouragement, the better off the child will be in terms of mental and emotional health. So go out of your way to praise praise praise. (Am studying to be a Primary Teacher !)

You'll soon realise it's all a load of shite. 

Run while you still can...

48 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I got bitten by a barbary ape (or maybe a Burberry ape the little chav git) in Gibraltar. I still have the scar & tell everyone I was bitten by a monkey. It sounds better.

Looks like a monkey to me <_<

Is this for real? Concerns whether a 2 yr old should be able to tell the difference betwen a monkey and an ape? 

When I was a baby my Uncle was in the Merchant Navy and used to send my gran and granpa presents from places he visited. They used to get all sorts of random stuff through the post.

One day I was at my grans in my pram in the living room and a crate gets  delivered . My gran opens the crate and a monkey jumps out. It ran havoc round the room , puling my granpas hair and drinking his tea.

Now I dont recall thinking ' is this a monkey of an ape?, just 'get me tae fook oot of here '!!'.

Of course at that age I dont actually remember the incident , but  my gran had to go downstairs to the neighbours as we didnt have a phone, and call Calderpark zoo who came and took it away. 

13 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Is this for real? Concerns whether a 2 yr old should be able to tell the difference betwen a monkey and an ape? 

When I was a baby my Uncle was in the Merchant Navy and used to send my gran and granpa presents from places he visited. They used to get all sorts of random stuff through the post.

One day I was at my grans in my pram in the living room and a crate gets  delivered . My gran opens the crate and a monkey jumps out. It ran havoc round the room , puling my granpas hair and drinking his tea.

Now I dont recall thinking ' is this a monkey of an ape?, just 'get me tae fook oot of here '!!'.

Of course at that age I dont actually remember the incident , but  my gran had to go downstairs to the neighbours as we didnt have a phone, and call Calderpark zoo who came and took it away. 

Your uncle sent a real life monkey through the post?!? 

?????

10 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Your uncle sent a real life monkey through the post?!? 

?????

He did. It was the mid 60's right enough, I doubt it would be that easy these days. I tried to post a bottle of whisky to Wick last week and was interrogated at  the post office. 

He was in Africa with the navy and stuck it on a ship which was coming back to the Uk. One of the crew posted it to my gran and granpa when they arrived. My mum said my granpa was swearing the house down, their hearts were roasted with my uncle and his pranks . 

My gran got him back though. She was in the bath one night and pretended she had stuck her big toe  up the tap, the bathroom door was locked. My uncle had to climb up the drain pipe and climb through the bathroom window to help her, only to find her toe perfectly safe in the water. Not sure what else he saw but he wasnt so funny after that ?

• 2 weeks later...

Most adults still generalise them as monkeys so wouldnt worry 

Monkeys have tails though

Apes dont

Thats why we are closer to apes in the evolutionary tree than monkeys

We share 93% of our DNA with the Rhesus monkey (macaque) for example

With Chimpanzees it is 98%