Motor Homes - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Does anyone own one of these? Looking at buying one for semi retirement when I hit 55 in just over two years. We are going to the caravan show at NEC in October to carry out a bit of research. I know they are marketed an the idyllic retirement toy but would appreciate first hand knowledge in terms of the pros and cons. 

New?   You'd be covered by warranty I expect.   2nd hand, I'd want a habitation report.   This will do gas safety checks, etc., but mainly you want to know that it does not leak in rain.   They can have dampness problems at certain weak points and that will be expensive to repair.

Aye, I spent a lot more than I intended on a 2nd hand one.   They are fragile too (to save weight), so need treated gently as wee fiddly fixes cost ££.   Fridge door catches, skylight blinds and so on.

Thing to do at the NEC is to pick the layout you want.   i.e. beds & seatbelts: how many and where.

Not owned one myself but a few friends have.

Neighbour retired and spent a fortune on one. It was brand new.Used it for 2 summers and then got rid. I asked him about it and he said the hassle of having this huge thing parked on his driveway plus the costs and hassle associated with something that spent the majority of it's time parked up. Battery had to go on a trickle charger for example.

Friend got one a bit smaller - VW T4 i think. The problem was every time they used it, it generated so much condensation it was always damp and smelly. 

Have you used one before? I'd try renting on first to see how you get on.

1 hour ago, Big Col said:

Not owned one myself but a few friends have.

Neighbour retired and spent a fortune on one. It was brand new.Used it for 2 summers and then got rid. I asked him about it and he said the hassle of having this huge thing parked on his driveway plus the costs and hassle associated with something that spent the majority of it's time parked up. Battery had to go on a trickle charger for example.

Friend got one a bit smaller - VW T4 i think. The problem was every time they used it, it generated so much condensation it was always damp and smelly. 

Have you used one before? I'd try renting on first to see how you get on.

Similar to owning a static caravan then.  Unless you've got cash to burn possibly not the best idea.

Edited by Toepoke

Hired a big motorhome a couple of times but didn't enjoy driving it around small Scottish roads or trying to park it. Bought a 2014 VW camper van and it's fantastic. Pop up roof so plenty of head room when parked up, beautifully kitted out by Hillside and no condensation although always leave side window open a wee notch and can fit in normal car parking space. No toilet obviously but has shower head in boot and boiling hot water after a drive so perfect to wash after a swim, albeit still in swim suit as it's open air. Longest trip so far was Outer Hebrides last October and it was best way to travel.