2nd Place - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2nd Place

COLT NY

54 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

We do now, but if we had gone for a few more goals in the last two games, instead of fannying aboot with 30 minute s still to go, we could have already overtaken them on GD. Then a 2 goal victory for us over Slovakia would have set them a decent target to try to get against Malta in the event that we didn't quite manage to win in Slovenia. 

We should have been going for more goals against Lithuania and Malta. I just don't think Strachan understood how important GD could be. 

None of us know for sure how the other groups are going to finish but going for more goals in the previous two games has no impact on how we perform in the next two.

If 12 points is enough for a playoff it will be a minor miracle. 

All second place teams apart from Bosnia had 10 points at least before the second round of matches this week.

They should all get at least 3 counting points from their last 3 games or will go into 1st/3rd place and the new 2nd place team will also outpoint us.

Which leaves Bosnia who have 8 counting points, same as us. They've still to play Belgium though so I can't see them finishing second. Greece should beat Cyprus which would give them 13 counting points and and I think they also play Gibraltar so should finish second. 

In the unlikely event that we do finish on 18 points with Slovakia then in all likelihood, Slovakia will not get a playoff. 

If they do and we go out on goal difference then so be it. Wouldn't be the first time we've lost out that way. Even if we had won 5-0 last night, we would still have an inferior GD to Slovakia and unless we also beat them handsomely they would still be above us. 

Our GD is so bad mainly because we lost 3-0 twice, not because of the last 2 games. 

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, GordyA88 said:

If we win 2 games we will definitely be in the play offs. No chance we will miss out. Seen the standings last night, Slovakia are currently the 3rd ranked second place team. Bosnia are the team currently set to miss out, they have basically 8 points. They are last by a long way.

Slovakia have a game against Malta which won't count though.

We are currently on the same 8 points as Bosnia in the comparison between groups.

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

Slovakia have a game against Malta which won't count though.

We are currently on the same 8 points as Bosnia in the comparison between groups.

Aye but if we win 2 games, which we have to do, we will be on 14. That will be enough to get a playoff.

3 minutes ago, GordyA88 said:

Aye but if we win 2 games, which we have to do, we will be on 14. That will be enough to get a playoff.

Should be, but if Bosnia win their last 2 games by the same score as us they'll also have 14 points and be 4 goals better off.

52 minutes ago, GordyA88 said:

If we win 2 games we will definitely be in the play offs. No chance we will miss out. Seen the standings last night, Slovakia are currently the 3rd ranked second place team. Bosnia are the team currently set to miss out, they have basically 8 points. They are last by a long way.

Slovakia are only 3rd best as they haven't played the bottom team twice yet and have played a game more than the three second placed teams that play tonight. 

I haven't checked all possibilities but I'm sure there will be a way for us to win our last two games and go out. There always is with us!

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

According to Sky sports on twitter, if we win our last two, we will finish as the second best runners up, so no problem getting a play-off place.

The World Cup Qualifiers play-off table- Scotland will finish second if they win their final two matches. #SSN

How can they work that out with 2 games left?

4 minutes ago, stocky said:

who do Bosnia play?

3 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Belgium at home in one of their games. 

Aye then away to Estonia.

Belgium have already won the group so it's probably a good time for Bosnia to play them. Hopefully the Belgians won't be slacking.

I think (think) that if we win both games, we will pretty guaranteed second spot. Sweden's group and the one with Greece would miss out.

Honestly though, I'd only worry about this until after the 9th round of fixtures and down, and if, IF, we have beaten Slovakia.

1-0 Scotland will do fine, then let's worry about the numbers.

21 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Slovakia are only 3rd best as they haven't played the bottom team twice yet and have played a game more than the three second placed teams that play tonight. 

I haven't checked all possibilities but I'm sure there will be a way for us to win our last two games and go out. There always is with us!

Wales are now the worst 2nd place team on 8 points with a worse goal difference.

For us to miss out we would need Bosnia to beat Belgium at home and away at Estonia and Wales to win in Georgia and at home to ROI. There is also scenarios where Macedonia play Denmark in the last game for a shootout for 2nd and Sweeden will have a shootout with the Dutch for 2nd place. Of those 6 games there is bound to be a draw or defeat somewhere that would benefit us. History would suggest that there will be at least 1 team with 13 or less points.

5 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

Wales are now the worst 2nd place team on 8 points with a worse goal difference.

For us to miss out we would need Bosnia to beat Belgium at home and away at Estonia and Wales to win in Georgia and at home to ROI. There is also scenarios where Macedonia play Denmark in the last game for a shootout for 2nd and Sweeden will have a shootout with the Dutch for 2nd place. Of those 6 games there is bound to be a draw or defeat somewhere that would benefit us. History would suggest that there will be at least 1 team with 13 or less points.

Wales could win their last 2 though and finish on 14 which is what we would have if we win our last 2. Wales are likely to have a far better goal difference than us as well unless we pump Slovakia and Slovenia.

I doubt Bosnia will finish second. Greece are more likely to win their last two games. That would be good for us though I think as unless I'm mistaken Greece can only get 13 points.

Bosnia v Belgium worries me though since Belgium have already qualified and probably won't be giving a toss. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Wales could win their last 2 though and finish on 14 which is what we would have if we win our last 2. Wales are likely to have a far better goal difference than us as well unless we pump Slovakia and Slovenia.

I doubt Bosnia will finish second. Greece are more likely to win their last two games. That would be good for us though I think as unless I'm mistaken Greece can only get 13 points.

Bosnia v Belgium worries me though since Belgium have already qualified and probably won't be giving a toss. 

Yes you're correct about Greece, though one of their last games is away to Cyprus who just beat Bosnia at home. If the Dutch win both games including a home win v Sweeden they will only have 13 points also. 

I'm not convinced Wales will win both games, Georgia away is a stinker for them.

2 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

According to Sky sports on twitter, if we win our last two, we will finish as the second best runners up, so no problem getting a play-off place.

The World Cup Qualifiers play-off table- Scotland will finish second if they win their final two matches. #SSN

That looks like two seperate statements. If we win our last two matches we'll be second in our group.

Almost impossible for us to be second best runner up.

11 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

Yes you're correct about Greece, though one of their last games is away to Cyprus who just beat Bosnia at home. If the Dutch win both games including a home win v Sweeden they will only have 13 points also. 

I'm not convinced Wales will win both games, Georgia away is a stinker for them.

Yeah I think we would be very unlucky to finish worst runner up. 

Just need to win the games now. Sounds easy doesn't it? ?

Have you seen Group I ? Loads of scenarios Croatia  Turkey  Iceland and Ukraine all very tight. Any of them could be 2nd or winners. That could be the lowest 2nd place.

We are now in a better place to quality than Ireland just now. Who would have believed that this time last week ? Point less than us.

Edited by Doric

26 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah I think we would be very unlucky to finish worst runner up. 

Just need to win the games now. Sounds easy doesn't it? ?

Stick a £1 on the all the results that would see us miss out and you'll get a nice we holiday and them some next summer ?

15 minutes ago, Doric said:

We are now in a better place to quality than Ireland just now. Who would have believed that this time last week ? Point less than us.

Aye they've done a bit of a Scotland. Time will tell if we are in a better position though. They are almost guaranteed to win one of their last games, we're not.

Is going to Cardiff to win easier or harder going to Slovenia? Much harder hopefully.

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

I think (think) that if we win both games, we will pretty guaranteed second spot. Sweden's group and the one with Greece would miss out.

So, that's how those wee lassies have started following Scotland about? Here was me thinking they were in it for the tartan toby as well! 

20 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Aye they've done a bit of a Scotland. Time will tell if we are in a better position though. They are almost guaranteed to win one of their last games, we're not.

Is going to Cardiff to win easier or harder going to Slovenia? Much harder hopefully.

100% harder. As badly as we play against teams like Slovenia, I know who i'd rather play

Sweden to get a point or more at home to the Netherlands

Wales to win away to Georgia and home to Ireland

Bosnia to beat an already qualified Belgium at home

Iceland to pick up a point away to Turkey

If all of the above happened then we'd almost definitely be the worst runner up (if we finished 2ND on 20 points)

Not impossible......I'm pinning my hopes on the Iceland group.

10 minutes ago, dezmondo said:

Sweden to get a point or more at home to the Netherlands

Wales to win away to Georgia and home to Ireland

Bosnia to beat an already qualified Belgium at home

Iceland to pick up a point away to Turkey

If all of the above happened then we'd almost definitely be the worst runner up (if we finished 2ND on 20 points)

Not impossible......I'm pinning my hopes on the Iceland group.

Good summary, also if either Montenegro or Denmark get 4 points from their last 2 games we'll be squeezed out.

The Iceland group is a lottery though, any one of 4 teams could be runner up.