2nd Place - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2nd Place

COLT NY

13 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Good summary, also if either Montenegro or Denmark get 4 points from their last 2 games we'll be squeezed out.

The Iceland group is a lottery though, any one of 4 teams could be runner up.

My head started hurting trying to work out all of the permutations for that group....hopefully a few draws.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, dezmondo said:

Sweden to get a point or more at home to the Netherlands

Wales to win away to Georgia and home to Ireland

Bosnia to beat an already qualified Belgium at home

Iceland to pick up a point away to Turkey

If all of the above happened then we'd almost definitely be the worst runner up (if we finished 2ND on 20 points)

Not impossible......I'm pinning my hopes on the Iceland group.

The Holland v Sweden game is in Amsterdam. They drew 1-1 in Sweden last year.

Also if Turkey beat Iceland they can actually make it to 14pts themselves. They go to Finland on the final day.

I think the best options are Sweden losing in Holland, Bosnia failing to beat Belgium or Ireland getting something in Wales.

7 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Aye they've done a bit of a Scotland. Time will tell if we are in a better position though. They are almost guaranteed to win one of their last games, we're not.

Is going to Cardiff to win easier or harder going to Slovenia? Much harder hopefully.

They need to win 2 same as us or both out. Even if they win the 2 and we also they are 1 point worse off than us. Georgia did the damage and hopefully they can kill off Wales also.

2 hours ago, magicTs said:

The Holland v Sweden game is in Amsterdam. They drew 1-1 in Sweden last year.

Also if Turkey beat Iceland they can actually make it to 14pts themselves. They go to Finland on the final day.

I think the best options are Sweden losing in Holland, Bosnia failing to beat Belgium or Ireland getting something in Wales.

I'd say based on last nights matches there is more chance of Wales dropping something away to Georgia than there is at home to Ireland.

6 hours ago, dezmondo said:

Sweden to get a point or more at home to the Netherlands

Wales to win away to Georgia and home to Ireland

Bosnia to beat an already qualified Belgium at home

Iceland to pick up a point away to Turkey

If all of the above happened then we'd almost definitely be the worst runner up (if we finished 2ND on 20 points)

Not impossible......I'm pinning my hopes on the Iceland group.

What about adding N Ireland avoid  loseing to Germany at home and Norway away ?

Edited by Doric

4 minutes ago, Doric said:

What about adding N Ireland avoid  loseing to Germany at home and Norway away ?

Good point. I thought they were safe but it's only second in their own group they've guaranteed. They're on a great run but it's not inconceivable for NI to lose both those games.

I'd just like to restate how rubbish a system it is, to eliminate a team based on group v group comparisons. Especially when the final matches are played days apart.

I'm not even going to try and work out what needs to happen in other matches for us to secure the playoff spot. We've got two teams who are in with the same chance as us to overcome first. Despite the glimmer of hope the last three matches have given us, this is still a massive mountain for us to climb

3 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Aw feck.   We go first anaw.

Well at least we'll not need to take calculators with us.

We go first but its the first round of matches that could dictate it, for example if Bosnia dont beat Belgium in the first round of matches our 'two wins'  will guarantee it regardless of results on the Monday and Tuesday.

1 hour ago, hamilton wanderer said:

This is interesting, it's the first place I've seen to confirm that play-offs will be seeded by FIFA rankings.

Doesn't clarify what FIFA rankings they will use though (September/October 2017 or ranking from when the groups were drawn?) - we would expect to be unseeded if we do get to the play-offs, but a run of 3 wins in 4 should surely boost our ranking ahead of the draw?

At present Portugal, Italy, Sweden and Iceland are the seeds, that could all change obviously.

I personally think the seedings in the play offs are unethical. Its like playing Street Fighter with your big brother and you always get the controller the dog chewed with the dodgy button. It should be how your team performed over the campaign to get you into the play off. If Italy were drawn with Portugal then so be it. IF we made the play offs currently those would be the only two teams I would wish to avoid.

Edited by romanticscot

1 hour ago, Manno said:

This is interesting, it's the first place I've seen to confirm that play-offs will be seeded by FIFA rankings.

Doesn't clarify what FIFA rankings they will use though (September/October 2017 or ranking from when the groups were drawn?) - we would expect to be unseeded if we do get to the play-offs, but a run of 3 wins in 4 should surely boost our ranking ahead of the draw?

At present Portugal, Italy, Sweden and Iceland are the seeds, that could all change obviously.

Portugal, Italy, Wales and Sweden actually.

7 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I personally think the seedings in the play offs are unethical. Its like playing Street Fighter with your big brother and you always get the controller the dog chewed with the dodgy button. It should be how your team performed over the campaign to get you into the play off. If Italy were drawn with Portugal then so be it. IF we made the play offs currently those would be the only two teams I would wish to avoid.

FIFA and all of the World Cup sponsors want all the big teams in Russia next year. That's why the groups are seeded in the first place.

It makes sense to keep the big teams apart. It does give them an unfair advantage though. 

To be honest I would just be happy to make the playoffs and take our chances in the draw. We could get lucky and get Wales or something (I assume they'd be seeded?).

22 minutes ago, stocky said:

So NI would be seeded, rather get them than Italy of Portugal     

Heard Michael O Neil on Sportsound tonight saying he would like to avoid Scotland.

57 minutes ago, Doric said:

Heard Michael O Neil on Sportsound tonight saying he would like to avoid Scotland.

7 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Ah the old double bluff ^_^

But, I'd bite his hand off for that right now.

To be fair we probably are a tough draw for them, given the baggage that goes with it.

They seemed to have mastered picking up results against middle of the road teams, but the "Derby" element of a match against us would benefit us more than them in my eyes.

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

To be fair we probably are a tough draw for them, given the baggage that goes with it.

They seemed to have mastered picking up results against middle of the road teams, but the "Derby" element of a match against us would benefit us more than them in my eyes.

Shoosht, or you'll blow my tripple buff B)

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

He was probably just trying to be polite and modest. He probably does not fear us that much, if at all, and with good reason.

Out of the possible unseeded teams they could get they would probably want to avoid us. Hampden is a very difficult place to come and get a result.