2nd Place - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2nd Place

COLT NY

14 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We were the first European team eliminated from World Cup qualifying 2 years later. What a beamer that was. 

Were we not the first team in the world to get eliminated? Howler of a campaign anyway, although it did produce a feat which must be unrivalled - beating the top seeds home and away, while losing to the bottom seeds home and away.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Were we not the first team in the world to get eliminated? Howler of a campaign anyway, although it did produce a feat which must be unrivalled - beating the top seeds home and away, while losing to the bottom seeds home and away.

Probably.

To be fair we were unlucky getting Wales as our Pot 6 team as they were far better than that but it was just a disaster of a campaign from start to finish apart from the games against Croatia. 

Belgium were the Pot 3 team as well. How unlucky was that?

17 hours ago, irish said:

Rubbish. 

I have more reason as a Republic supporter to knock that team that calls itself a country but leaving aside my own antipathy, their achievement is outstanding and if they avoid a heavyweight in the playoffs, I think they'll qualify. 

What they've done irrespective of world cup qualification or not has been unprecedented under Michael O'Neill. A fifth seeded to team to win their qualification Euro 2016 group is unbelievable and any mention of underperforming rival teams shouldn't take away from their achievement. 

They have a tough finish. If they lose to Germany, they would probably need to win away to Norway to avoid being the worst 2nd place team. They are certainly capable of doing that, but not a formality.

Mind you, I'm well aware of what happened the last time I expected Germany to take an "easy" 3 points off an Irish team.:lol:

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

They have a tough finish. If they lose to Germany, they would probably need to win away to Norway to avoid being the worst 2nd place team. They are certainly capable of doing that, but not a formality.

Mind you, I'm well aware of what happened the last time I expected Germany to take an "easy" 3 points off an Irish team.:lol:

Well I wouldn't worry about Norway as they got hammered 6-0 by Germany the other night. Evidently, they are not the force they once were.

On 08/09/2017 at 10:16 PM, PASTA Mick said:

NI have benefited from under-performing teams in their group. Greece last time. Norway and Czech Rep this time.

They have a good defence but we could beat them over 2 legs. 

Spot on. Weren't Greece even the top seeds in that group?  They totally imploded, even losing home and away to the Faroes.   And whats happened to the Czechs, they've always been decent until nornirn get them! Ditto Norway. They truly are riding their luck with the last two groups. I'd love to get them in the playoffs. 

18 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well they are guaranteed of avoidinga heavyweight I'd say as they will be one of the seeded teams in the draw.

There's a good chance they won't be seeded if Portugal, Wales, Sweden, Iceland and Italy all make the playoffs although I'm sure the rankings will change before the draw is made.

Slovakia are also ranked above them although I'm hoping they don't make it. ?