Porridge - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Right we've all been told milk in porridge is soft and English etc etc. and true Scots eat it with manky salt and water

Assuming our starving ancestors made it, I really doubt they wouldn't use milk for extra nutrition, I mean if you are desperate enough to add blood and invent black pudding, adding milk wouldn't be a stretch.

So can any oldies remember if porridge was made with milk before the war years and milk shortages?

Yes it would appear I don't have much to worry about!

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I quite fancy they oat so simple pots for the work. I seen them in the store when I was getting the messages 

Anyone recommend them? Seemingly all you do is add hot water in and stir. Most of these easy and simple 2 minute jobs though are absolute toley 

Full of sugar, avoid them. Though be better than cheerios i suppose

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I quite fancy they oat so simple pots for the work. I seen them in the store when I was getting the messages 

Anyone recommend them? Seemingly all you do is add hot water in and stir. Most of these easy and simple 2 minute jobs though are absolute toley 

If you've got access to a microwave at work I'd take my own oats, healthier and considerably cheaper.

Guest flumax

Just enjoying the oats as you want.

Although I will say in the week I go for Tesco value oats with water in the microwave, weekends a spirtle stirred  full fat milk farmers market provided oats. 

Loads of folk in my work microwave their porridge and seem to like it - probably cos they've never had my sweet sweet milky stirred from the start porridge extravaganza.

My kids always moan when poor mammy makes her poor relation version.  It is bogging though.

Love a good spurtle but its no the best for dishing out - serious design flaw

On 01/09/2017 at 7:58 AM, thistle do nicely said:

Loads of folk in my work microwave their porridge and seem to like it - probably cos they've never had my sweet sweet milky stirred from the start porridge extravaganza.

The power of the tamb, had a horrible dream last night where I was being followed by someone who looked like the child catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and he was whispering "sweet sweet milky"  Creepy basteward. 

On 31/08/2017 at 7:35 PM, DoonTheSlope said:

"Getting the messages".

Retro phrase ??

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

The power of the tamb, had a horrible dream last night where I was being followed by someone who looked like the child catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and he was whispering "sweet sweet milky"  Creepy basteward. 

If you are old enough to have watched the mary whitehouse experience its just your subconscious flashing back to the milky milky man, don't think he was child catcher scary though... 

On 02/09/2017 at 4:40 PM, thistle do nicely said:

If you are old enough to have watched the mary whitehouse experience its just your subconscious flashing back to the milky milky man, don't think he was child catcher scary though... 

Looked up the Mary Whitehouse programme and I recognise the people who were in it but not the programme. So it's you that the nightmare maker. "Lollipops lollipops." :yikes3:

Great I'm scaring myself now. :cry:

On 02/09/2017 at 4:55 PM, Mindimoo said:

Made with water and salt, then cold milk to serve.  Only other alternative is to throw some blueberries in for last minute then add honey to serve.  No argument, these are the only ways to eat it.

We sing from the same page...... no salt tho ....

My father, who was pre-war generation, would have porridge made with salt and water and cold milk to serve.  He died several years back but iirc he told stories of a there being a 'porridge drawer in the house.  I'm guessing that any porridge thus stored would store better if not made with milk.  I could experiment to find out which would store (porride wih or without milk)best but I supect if I started putting cold porridge in the drawers my wife might have something to say.

20 minutes ago, thistle do nicely said:

Well that answers my question then!  Thanks!

I think the broons might have had a porridge drawer as well..

They definitely did! I distinctly mind Paw Broon cracking his falsers on the twins toy car that he didn't know was in the drawer when pouring the porridge in ?