Team for Malta - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for Malta

The Black Bra

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only change I would make is Ritchie in for Forrest. Would like to see Ryan Fraser on at some point.

If we start the same as we did the other night and can be a couple (or more) goals up by half time, I'd get Brown off, in the hope he hasn't been booked. He's not a daft wee lad and will know himself a booking rules him out of the Slovakia game, but if we're looking comfortable no need to keep him on. Was it McArthur and Berra that are also a booking away from suspension?

Yes I agree if we go a couple up, get Brown off. We really need him for the Slovakia game and hopefully if we are in contention for second spot for the final game as well.

In fact I would I would almost be tempted not to play him but I think the same team that beat Lithuania deserves to start again.

He does get booked a lot, but I think a lot of it is down to his competitive nature, but he is a very important player for us.

Most likely the exact same starting line up (at most Ritchie or Anya in place of Forest) with probably more lenient subs in the 2nd half if winning by a comfortable margin (i.e. Naismith, Fraser and Hanley to give them a run out, when chances are they probably would not get close to game time against a stronger opposition).

If Brown can go the first half without getting a booking I think he will be subbed pretty early in the 2nd half to avoid any needless bookings (especially if game is effectively won by half time)

5 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Most likely the exact same starting line up (at most Ritchie or Anya in place of Forest) with probably more lenient subs in the 2nd half if winning by a comfortable margin (i.e. Naismith, Fraser and Hanley to give them a run out, when chances are they probably would not get close to game time against a stronger opposition).

If Brown can go the first half without getting a booking I think he will be subbed pretty early in the 2nd half to avoid any needless bookings (especially if game is effectively won by half time)

Dont see much point giving Hanley or Naismith a run out.

2 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Dont see much point giving Hanley or Naismith a run out.

If 3 or 4-0 up at half time I can see him being more generous (as Malta are the bottom seeds goals against count for very little at the end of the day as they are removed for deciding the play off'a)

5 minutes ago, wanderer said:

If 3 or 4-0 up at half time I can see him being more generous (as Malta are the bottom seeds goals against count for very little at the end of the day as they are removed for deciding the play off'a)

Goals against Malta do count. We need to score as many as possible just in case we end up up the same number of points Slovakia. I think there is a decent chance that we could both end up on 18 points. I just hope Strachan and the players know this.

11 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Goals against Malta do count. We need to score as many as possible just in case we end up up the same number of points Slovakia. I think there is a decent chance that we could both end up on 18 points. I just hope Strachan and the players know this.

I said for the play off's.....

Also Slovakia end at home to Malta, so effiectly anything goalwise we take off Slovakia they will most likely add it back on v Malta.

While we need to improve our goals ratio, unfortunately the way fixtures work out we are relying way more on results going out way a lot more than who scores what against whom.

22 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

we need to win our last three games

Guest MorayCupMan

Agree with giving Scott Brown a rest in this game...he was lucky no to be booked on Friday and we definitely need him for last 2 games.

Would imagine Fraser will get a run out at some point in this game which will be good to see.

40 minutes ago, Bino's said:

we need to win our last three games

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Would it not be down to head to head results if we are level on points with Slovakia?

Dependent on everyone is fit and has the energy to go again i would make two changes. I'd take Forrest out and replace him with Fraser as i think he got a better final ball and overall a better player. I would also change McArthur for a more attack minded player i would have said Bannan for his passing ability but as he's out would probably go with McGinn, good experience for him

I'm very confident that we'll get the win just don't think it will be a 4 or 5 nil that will help the GD but personally i don't think GD will come into matter at the end so i would be happy with 3 points and whatever score it is.

I notice a lot of Malta's goals conceded in this campaign are in the last 15 mins dont know if this is fitness wise (i dont know if they are part time footballers) or they lose concentration / motivation. But worth getting fresh legs on in the last 25 mins or so to try and expose this