Scotland vs Malta - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Malta

Clyde1998

There's no pleasing some folk. After the position we were in in November we now have it in our own hands with two games to go. Can't really ask for much more.

The team and, yes, the manager have done well this year to get us back into contention.

Good results, generally decent performances and quite honestly I don't care how rank rotten we look against the likes of Malta or anybody else as long as we take the three points. England have been at for donkeys but churn out the results in qualifying.

Win our next two games and were in the playoffs. I'll take that.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Job done. Brutal to watch - the sort of "entertainment" that makes you think football will die on its arse soon. Just sell all the man uniteds, celtics and barcelonas as franchises to the Chinese and concentrate on the PlayStation or politics or something.

Anyway, I digress. The Lithuania result tonight and the table itself probably show you where we are in relation to Slovenia and Slovakia - we're all much of a muchness. If we do the job, it won't be a huge surprise. Similar story if we don't. It will probably come down to who wants it more and whether Strachan picks Forrest.

I think I'm getting sick of football.

8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Lithuania / France?

France away, Ukraine home i think.

Edit: Scratch that. Just looked it up and yer right Toepoke.

Edited by Dave78

We weren't great tonight, but got the job done. Thought a few were off the boil - Robertson's final ball was poor, but his positing and runs were excellent ; Forrest was poor ; Tierney did alright ; Griffiths did well in doses but a bit greedy on at least two occasions but he is a striker and glad he got a goal even if there was a bit fortune about it.

Malta very rarely get humped, and they are a tough side to break down. Like a few have said, it wasn't a brilliant performance but we looked very much in control from the get go and even at 1-0 I felt confident we would still win the match.

We've done well to get back in to it and its between the three of us for the second spot. Slovakia have the easiest run in out the three of us and if you said to me, Scotland would be in with a shout in the final double-header of making the playoffs (after November last year) well, that'd just be mental.

I think we'll fall just short. We played the two poorest sides in the group this week and fair dues, 5-0 is a decent return over the weekend, we don't have any booking worries for Slovakia and we played excellent in one game, and decent-ish in another. We have the momentum of 3 wins and a draw out of our last four, and we will have a sold out Hampden for a huge game which if we can win would possibly barring a Slovene win at Wembley, put us in 2nd place going in to the last round of fixtures!

It's not impossible to imagine it, and I am fairly looking forward to it ; but it's going to be a very tough ask, and here's hoping we can do it.

Of course those dropped points - especially against Lithuania at Hampden - would have helped a lot , but we might not have beaten Slovenia, if we had beaten Lithuania at home.

Looking forward to Slovakia. It'll be a tough game, and this approach of one game at a time is what we need to do. Let's see if we can beat Slovakia, and if we can - then it'll be time to dream.

A month to go.

49 minutes ago, ironbrew said:

Unfortunately it seems like 2v0 was considered ok. A 5v0 would have given us some hope to get through with draw in Slovenia but looks unlikely now 

There's a good chance being tied on 18 points with Slovakia won't be enough to secure a play-off, it would be a dug's chance I suppose but I think we really need 2 wins.

On another note it's time for James Forrest 'gump' to be dropped. He just isn't good enough. Offers nothing going forward or defensively. Surely Fraser is a better option. Or Burke if he starts getting games. 

I also think Tierney at right back hampers us. I really like him as a player but we need someone who can at least go down the right at right back I think. Would maybe see how Tierney goes as a left sided CB after this campaign.

10 minutes ago, GordyA88 said:

I also think Tierney at right back hampers us. I really like him as a player but we need someone who can at least go down the right at right back I think. Would maybe see how Tierney goes as a left sided CB after this campaign.

Needs to spend more time in training on his weaker foot, that's how Danny McGrain used to do it anyway...

41 minutes ago, GordyA88 said:

On another note it's time for James Forrest 'gump' to be dropped. He just isn't good enough. Offers nothing going forward or defensively. Surely Fraser is a better option. Or Burke if he starts getting games. 

Agree with this. It was very obvious tonight that he was not in his favoured position. Offered very little in an atracking sense in comparison to when he plays on the left. 

Edited by Marky

An adequate performance. No more, no less. 

Matt Phillips is probably the most annoying player I've ever watched. He must've given the hall away about 60% of the times he had it. 

7 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Slovenia win. England draw. Lithuania win. Malta win. 

There's no half a bunch of zoomers on here needing to stick their dummy back in and wake up to the fact that we're winning games and have every chance of winning more.

Although the last two were the weaker teams, it's all good for momentum. Slovakia have lost some, we have gained some.

3 minutes ago, Mee said:

Good performances and results.

Shocking turn out for a must win qualifier at home.

Not really. That's what the SFA's pricing strategy will get you. I actually thought the turnout was decent considering the £36 to see Malta on a Monday night ?

It was poor all round but the result was the most important.  Once again though, the pitch looked absolutely murder, and this killed our approach and energy. Do wonder if we'd be more suitable to plastic pitches like Lithuania. 

Special mention to Scott Brown - 9 times he needlessly gave the ball away.  That will be picked up on and punished by the Slovaks

12 minutes ago, Mee said:

Good performances and results.

Shocking turn out for a must win qualifier at home.

Monday night is difficult for many to get to, and makes it difficult to compare with previous attendances.

Aren't turnouts always likely to be low against the smaller teams like Malta - and those are almost always 'must win' games.

6 minutes ago, Debian said:

It was poor all round but the result was the most important.  Once again though, the pitch looked absolutely murder, and this killed our approach and energy. Do wonder if we'd be more suitable to plastic pitches like Lithuania. 

Special mention to Scott Brown - 9 times he needlessly gave the ball away.  That will be picked up on and punished by the Slovaks

Armstrong was the stand out by a mile. Other than that I don't think anyone played particularly well last night.

23 minutes ago, slasher said:

Not really. That's what the SFA's pricing strategy will get you. I actually thought the turnout was decent considering the £36 to see Malta on a Monday night ?

My ticket was £17 and the kids were a fiver.  Two adults and two kids, I paid £44, can't argue with that. How cheap do you want it to be?

7 minutes ago, slasher said:

Armstrong was the stand out by a mile. Other than that I don't think anyone played particularly well last night.

Armstrong was outstanding again. It looked like some of the players were holding back last night. Broony definitely was (although he was still lucky not to be booked). If there were no threats of suspensions hanging over certain players, I guess we would have seen a different team last night.

We will need to get stuck into Slovakia, which is where some players will have to tread carefully again or they will miss Slovenia. We need full team for both games.....

18 minutes ago, adamntg said:

My ticket was £17 and the kids were a fiver.  Two adults and two kids, I paid £44, can't argue with that. How cheap do you want it to be?

Bully for you. I paid double that (season ticket) and that's too much. Frankly the cut price tickets are a piss take imo but good luck to you ?