Phillips - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Phillips

er yir macaroon

I find it quite incredible that a few on here are criticising his performance. He hasn't played much football so was maybe a bit leggy against Malta, but he was superb in Lithuanua. To have fast full backs and wingers completely transforms us and puts the opposition out of their comfort zone. Phillips will be vital in the next 2 games and is a breath of fresh air for us. Wingers come to the fore where the opposition is of a similar level and there are decisive one on one situations, rather than a wall of defenders. Watch him go!

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I find it quite incredible that a few on here are criticising his performance. He hasn't played much football so was maybe a bit leggy against Malta, but he was superb in Lithuanua. To have fast full backs and wingers completely transforms us and puts the opposition out of their comfort zone. Phillips will be vital in the next 2 games and is a breath of fresh air for us. Wingers come to the fore where the opposition is of a similar level and there are decisive one on one situations, rather than a wall of defenders. Watch him go!

I agree. He's already proven his international callibre scoring twice at under 19 level for England. Never managed any for their under 20's though. 

Agreed - thought Phillips was really good across the two games although more so against Lithuania than last night. Has terrific pace and if he could keep a shot down, he'd have had a couple of goals.

Great to have a bit of pace about the team again - haven't really had that since Anya got old overnight.

Was really unlucky not to get a goal, but was good to watch and did what you want wingers to do. Took people on, made space, for himself and others and got involved. My only criticism might be that he did go a little central at times, so when we looked for an outlet on the left, he was up top along side Griffiths and we had to roll it around at the back for a while instead.

They were both big steps up on his performance against Italy last year where he just didn't look very interested and didn't seem to put in any effort, so i'd be happy enough to see him keep the shirt for Slovakia. He's not only quicker, but bigger than the Slovak right back, so fingers crossed he'll be a decent threat there. Would be a fantastic time to get his first goal, just saying. ;)

10 minutes ago, andyD said:

Was really unlucky not to get a goal, but was good to watch and did what you want wingers to do. Took people on, made space, for himself and others and got involved. My only criticism might be that he did go a little central at times, so when we looked for an outlet on the left, he was up top along side Griffiths and we had to roll it around at the back for a while instead.

They were both big steps up on his performance against Italy last year where he just didn't look very interested and didn't seem to put in any effort, so i'd be happy enough to see him keep the shirt for Slovakia. He's not only quicker, but bigger than the Slovak right back, so fingers crossed he'll be a decent threat there. Would be a fantastic time to get his first goal, just saying. ;)

Your description above covers off the Lithuania game but not last night. I think he only beat his man about twice the whole night and when you say he was "unlucky" not to score, are you talking about towards the end when he was clean through and showed an extreme lack of composure by ballooning the ball over the bar? That's not unlucky in my book. It was just crap. Also as Parklife stated earlier, he was hugely frustrating in terms of how often he gave the ball away.

In his caps before the Lithuania game he was always a bit so-so.... would put a good shift in, but no end product, but then showed what he was capable of v Lithuania and looked like we had a genuine contender for Snodgrass place in the team.

I thought a number of players in the team as a whole under performed, but did not feel he had a particularly bad game last night, just did not have the impact he made (especially in the first half v Lithuania) in Vilnius.

I think Phillips has been a revelation.  One of the plus points of the past two games (as well as the actual points!).  He's got pace, strength, height, skill, he can beat his man - fantastic attributes in an attacker.

He should have scored in both games though, to be honest, or at the very least made the keepers work, although I thought he was unlucky to been pulled up for fouling the Maltese defender last night when he otherwise would have been clean through. 

43 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

What do you regard as "not playing much football"? He has played all 3 league games and the League Cup game for WBA this season. There isn't really any more football he could have played this season.

He had a good half v Lithuania on Friday but the second half over there and whole of last nights game it was pretty obvious, to me, that he is very uncomfortable playing on the left hand side of the attack. Don't think he got past his man on outside once last night. I would also add that I thought Tierney also suffered from the same on the right hand side.

11 minutes ago, wanderer said:

In his caps before the Lithuania game he was always a bit so-so.... would put a good shift in, but no end product, but then showed what he was capable of v Lithuania and looked like we had a genuine contender for Snodgrass place in the team.

I thought a number of players in the team as a whole under performed, but did not feel he had a particularly bad game last night, just did not have the impact he made (especially in the first half v Lithuania) in Vilnius.

Agreed. No one really came out of last night with much credit.

Agreed the criticism is over blown rubbish. 

His performance across both matches was significantly better than what Snodgrass had been offering. Room for improvement? Obviously and so what. 

We have another player who has proved himself capable of fitting into the squad and performing well. That is nothing but a positive thing. 

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

I thought the final ball was poor from both wide men, Phillips and Forrest, last night.

Fraser to come into contention for Slovakia?...

I think that unless something significant happens player form wise over the next 4 weeks then he will be aiming for the same starting 11 for Slovakia game at least. Only injuries will change the starting 11 IMO.

My gut feeling is he just wasn't that great. Good but nothing special and we're going to need better to beat Slovakia. Honestly the sooner Snodgrass gets his finger out and sorts himself out the better. Granted he's been well below par this year but on form could be match winner next month. Confident Steve Bruce will get him going the next 4 weeks.

54 minutes ago, andyD said:

He wasn't really unlucky, he showed zero composure, same with his chance last night.

Did well to get into the position but really need to be taking those chances.

Jury still out for me. Was brilliant in Lithuania but rank rotten yesterday IMO.

24 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I think that unless something significant happens player form wise over the next 4 weeks then he will be aiming for the same starting 11 for Slovakia game at least. Only injuries will change the starting 11 IMO.

I can see Morrison pushing McArthur with a run of games over the next 3 weeks at West Brom. One of Fraser, Ritchie, Snoddy (again with a run of games) should be ousting Forrest. 

The inverted winger system just doen't work against teams like Malta, it may well work better against the likes of Slovakia and Slovenia where there should be a bit more space. 

Edited by bossman4

2 hours ago, Marky said:

He was as bad against Malta as he was good against Lithuania. So my jury remains out.

I was very pleasantly surprised with his performance against Lithuania, but he was absolutely honking last night.

Correct. The amount of times he ceded possession easily last night was astounding. 

1 hour ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

What do you regard as "not playing much football"? He has played all 3 league games and the League Cup game for WBA this season. There isn't really any more football he could have played this season.

He had a good half v Lithuania on Friday but the second half over there and whole of last nights game it was pretty obvious, to me, that he is very uncomfortable playing on the left hand side of the attack. Don't think he got past his man on outside once last night. I would also add that I thought Tierney also suffered from the same on the right hand side.

Agreed. No one really came out of last night with much credit.

Does Philips normally play on the right?

If so, play Fraser on the left and put Philips on the left instead of Forrest. Forrest seems to get into good positions then hasn't got a clue what to do.

A lot depends on players club form between now and Slovakia game. Snodgrass will have to be playing out of his skin to come back into contention.

Not convinced by McArthur, would start Brown, Armstrong and Morrison.

36 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Correct. The amount of times he ceded possession easily last night was astounding. 

Same goes for the other winger who seems to be undroppable. 

forrest could boot the ball into the opposition net for a laugh and he'd still start the next game.

He had a good game against Lithuania but wasn't great last night.  However think he's shown over two games that he has strength, good workrate, speed and ability - although needs to improve shooting, placement rather than blasting & he should have had goal in each game. Offers up much more than Forrest & should definitely get nod ahead of him in Slovakia game.  

6 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Agree strongly. Big asset needs more games for us. 

Would like to have seen Fraser replace Forrest though. 

5 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I would agree with that. The only change that there may be is James McArthur. Possibly he may be replaced by Darren Fletcher but that aside I can't see any other changes.