Not beating Lithuania at hampden - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Not beating Lithuania at hampden

bonny78

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree with you here bonny. That game has cost us badly. However, the way it went we can be thankful we got a point with a late equalizer. However, it is the result that cost us. We created plenty of chances but lacked the cutting edge in front of goal and it cost us. The missed chances are the key and what cost us.

12 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Considering we just hammeted them at their bit its very pivotal. Why do we fk up the easy ones?   

Only one player who started against Lithuania at Hampden also started on Friday night. 

Strachan picks the team so if he is now picking our strongest team give or take a couple of players then he was so far off the mark at the start of the campaign it's laughable. 

We could and should have been four points better off and almost out of site as winners or runners up in the group, the home game against Lithuania, and hate to say it but the injury time goal v England.

But hey this is Scotland and we do it the hard way every time we try to qualify so lets hope we can beat Slovakia and then all to play for in the final match.

16 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Only one player who started against Lithuania at Hampden also started on Friday night. 

Strachan picks the team so if he is now picking our strongest team give or take a couple of players then he was so far off the mark at the start of the campaign it's laughable. 

Laughable

Just now, robbo cop said:

We could and should have been four points better off and almost out of site as winners or runners up in the group, the home game against Lithuania, and hate to say it but the injury time goal v England.

But hey this is Scotland and we do it the hard way every time we try to qualify so lets hope we can beat Slovakia and then all to play for in the final match.

But on the other side of the coin we could have lost at home to Lithuania and drawn at home to Slovenia but for two late goals - swings and roundabouts. I say where we are now in the group is a fair enough assessment of where we are. 

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

But on the other side of the coin we could have lost at home to Lithuania and drawn at home to Slovenia but for two late goals - swings and roundabouts. I say where we are now in the group is a fair enough assessment of where we are. 

Disagree. Beating Lithuania at home is a must for us.  It shud be an easy game.

15 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Disagree. Beating Lithuania at home is a must for us.  It shud be an easy game.

We have no god given right to beat anyone. 

Havent you been watching us play for the last 16 years or so? We could struggle to beat anyone. 

Hopefully those days are passed now.......

1 hour ago, bonny78 said:

Has come back to haunt the old team.  Lucky not to lose the game but not winning that in 90 min has really killed our hopes.

Is worse than bricking it v england actually. 

You're probably right but the England two points dropped at home will haunt me for a long time unless we qualify. We are where we are now and on Friday's evidence Lithuania are piss-poor which further highlights your point. I am really very glad we did not well and truly hump Malta last night otherwise it would have been Ally's Tartan Army all over again. A wee bump back to earth will do us good as Slovakia and Slovenia are very good sides IMO. Not sure if the Celtic 'spine' players being into their champs league campaign come October is a negative or positive. Hopefully a good thing. And then there will be the playoffs -  against Portugal no doubt.............

9 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

You're probably right but the England two points dropped at home will haunt me for a long time unless we qualify. We are where we are now and on Friday's evidence Lithuania are piss-poor which further highlights your point. I am really very glad we did not well and truly hump Malta last night otherwise it would have been Ally's Tartan Army all over again. A wee bump back to earth will do us good as Slovakia and Slovenia are very good sides IMO. Not sure if the Celtic 'spine' players being into their champs league campaign come October is a negative or positive. Hopefully a good thing. And then there will be the playoffs -  against Portugal no doubt.............

I don't buy into the England two points dropped thing. I was there and we looked odds on to lose with seven minutes left to play and I would have ripped your arm off at the shoulder if you had offered me a point at that stage. From nowhere Griffs scored two great free-kicks and we were ahead. There was total euphoria and then...BANG...England were level. For me, personally, it all happened so quickly, it never computed with me about the possibility of winning but there you go. We are all different.

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

It's our Georgia moment. Anyone dissing that fact is a fud.

If Wee Chicken Baws hadn't shat it in Dublin and taken a forward of for a defender when we were battering them and settled for the draw, we may well have got a winner and Tbilisi would have been irelivent 

Yet people celebrated that draw like we had all but qualified 

3 hours ago, robbo cop said:

I had this conversation today. If we had beaten Lithuania and Armstrong had pumped the ball up the pitch, we would have been closing in on England who could lose to Slovenia... instead, we are back to the same old same old 

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yup, that's they way we need to look at it. The last few minutes in three of our games have produced goals for and against us. Win our remaining two games and we're second. That's it in a nutshell. 

13 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I don't buy into the England two points dropped thing. I was there and we looked odds on to lose with seven minutes left to play and I would have ripped your arm off at the shoulder if you had offered me a point at that stage. From nowhere Griffs scored two great free-kicks and we were ahead. There was total euphoria and then...BANG...England were level. For me, personally, it all happened so quickly, it never computed with me about the possibility of winning but there you go. We are all different.

Thats part of the problem though. We do not have bottle to hold onto a lead against a decent opposition. We moan about all the things that go against us but when we get a bonus we blow it. In my eyes, not being able to hold onto a lead for 2 mins is as much to blame as the Lithuania home game. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Thats part of the problem though. We do not have bottle to hold onto a lead against a decent opposition. We moan about all the things that go against us but when we get a bonus we blow it. In my eyes, not being able to hold onto a lead for 2 mins is as much to blame as the Lithuania home game. 

Agree totally. The reality of the situation is that we were closer to beating England at Hampden than we were to beating Lithuania, but we couldn't see out the last 3 mins.

It was the same in the last campaign too, lots of focus on the Georgia result away and highlighting of that as the reason we didn't qualify but I would say that the two Poland games had a much bigger impact. Leading 2-1 in both games and we couldn't see the games out. Had we beaten Georgia we would have gotten into the playoffs, had we held on twice v Poland we would have qualified automatically.

15 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

If Wee Chicken Baws hadn't shat it in Dublin and taken a forward of for a defender when we were battering them and settled for the draw, we may well have got a winner and Tbilisi would have been irelivent 

Yet people celebrated that draw like we had all but qualified 

Exactly. Made the same monumental  feck up by not playing Griffiths in all the games of this campaign. 

Edited by ankles