Current Strikers/Celtic's schedule - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Current Strikers/Celtic's schedule

JECK

Am sure you'll all agree the Celtic bunch are imperative for the current team at present. They have 7 fixtures to play between now and the game including 2 champs league and an old firm match.

I can't be the only one worried about Griffiths dodgy calf? (Not to mention the other players.)

If any one ever doubted griffiths as first choice striker...3 goals and 3 assists in his last 3 games. The thought of going into the Slovakia game with Chris Martin as lone striker doesn't fill me with much confidence, which brings me on to my next point - we seem to be lacking in quality strikers at the moment? You never know what your going to get from Fletcher, Naismith does a power of work but just isn't clinical enough. Who is else is there at the moment if griffiths gets injured in the next month?

It's a huge worry.  What's Rhodes up to these days - is he playing let alone scoring?  Our striking talent pool is so shallow you couldn't drown a fkin slater in it.  No Griffiths = no chance.

You're as well with empty space as Chris Martin.  I know he sclaffed in the winner against Slovenia but he's absolutely honkingly awful.

Russell?  May?

Steven Fletcher is playing and scoring. I think he's the only other one who is.

Rhodes is in and out of the side a bit, and has been struggling for goals, but most fans would tell you that's as much due to really poor service as Rhodes performances.

If we were to have a replacement for Griff, then for me it has to be Fletch. Purely because he knows where the goal is right now.

One of the biggest losses if Griff was out would be set pieces tho. Freekicks aside, his corner deliveries have been top notch and we could have had another couple of goals from them over the weekend. We don't seem to really have anyone else who's got that quality of delivery just now.

Totally, the others do not hold a candle to Griffiths. This is why I had to highlight the potential problem of him being out next month.He brings so much to the fold he's been a revelation since the Slovenia home game where he hit the post and bar.(should have scored obvs. I would have fletcher as his replacement but I wouldn't be that enthused by that.(straight away you lose the running in behind, free kick prowess, shooting from distance and delivery from corners)

An on fire Stevie May could be an option as he is all-action in a similar fashion to Griff. Naismith too. Burke's untried as a CF, Fletcher is a decent shout but is far too languid for the style that has been working so well for us in these last 4 games, same goes with Martin (as a starter anyway). Rhodes needs to get his form back on track before he can even think about a recall and he's in the too slow/not dynamic enough category as well.

Anyway, I expect Rodgers will be rotating and resting his best men for Celtic's benefit, so I doubt they'll all be run into the ground by this time next month.

Edited by Rude Gullit

9 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Griffiths is hardly maradonna...  he is on a good wee run at the moment but did nothing for many games before.  We are in a bad way if we are terrified that griffiths is going to be injured.

He's by far our best striker.

Edited by fringo