Gonna miss this place - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gonna miss this place

bonny78

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This site was so much better than FB for specific topics, either travel or game info or non football topics.

During the referendum, I got most of my information from this site, as to what was going on back home.

It will be sorely missed, been reading it for many years before finally joining.

3 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Just thinking aloud here, but could one of our teams have a Scotland section on their message boards. Not wanting to blow our own trumpet, but Hibs.net is one of the oldest, pishiest, cliqueyist and biggest non OF message board.

FTFY

Edited to add; Don't worry, no one will think that your blowing any trumpets promoting NorthKorea.net

:moon::moon::moon::moon:

aye, I am banned from it

:lol:

Edited by DoonTheSlope

Farewell TAMB.

You served a decent purpose  - as others have said Travel Info was always surprisingly useful and Anything Goes came into its own during the indyref.

There's no obvious substitute for folk to use once you go.

Thanks to all the Moderators and Administrators that kept it going for this long.

The Facebook pages are decent but there's no structure to it. At least on here if you want to find something out then you head straight to designated section, on Facebook it's all over the place 

What's the only other alternative? pie & bovril? At least they have MILF threads on it if nothing else 

Just a thought but why does it need to end?

Okay those that run the forum have their reasons which I respect but at the end of the day it could be resurrected on a free software forum quite easily. The same type of topics could be recreated and same banter, invaluable info and latest news etc. Just needs somebody tech savvy to set it up. Any takers?

36 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

FTFY

Edited to add; Don't worry, no one will think that your blowing any trumpets promoting NorthKorea.net

:moon::moon::moon::moon:

aye, I am banned from it

:lol:

You a bounce boy? I know there was some fall out, however I seemed to sail through the middle.

J

5 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

You a bounce boy? I know there was some fall out, however I seemed to sail through the middle.

J

I prefer the bounce but there's next to no traffic on it, I find the bounce much more laid back whereas .net is far too wanky for my liking. Post anything even slightly critiscing the club and your pounced upon and called a yam

37 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Just a thought but why does it need to end?

Okay those that run the forum have their reasons which I respect but at the end of the day it could be resurrected on a free software forum quite easily. The same type of topics could be recreated and same banter, invaluable info and latest news etc. Just needs somebody tech savvy to set it up. Any takers?

Considering it at the moment.. will try and yay or nay by the end of the month.

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

A few weeks ago (was it?) we discovered from a poster that new registrations to the board had not been approved for six months plus or something like that. That was a real bad sign and I said so at the time saying we will try to view the tamb one day and it will just be gone....

About a day or two later I coincidentally had this weird internet problem where I could not connect to the TAMB - site not found or some pish - like a fool I managed to convince myself for about a day that that was the end and they had jacked it.

Finally after a day I decided to connect via a VPN and lo and behold the tamb was still there. Problem solved itself after a day or two. 

But during that little spell I did realize that I did not know how much it was worth until it was gone. Seeing this for real is very sad.

...you are gonna miss it.

Is it just the cost, or are the folk running it going to chuck it for other reasons ? The suggestion of monthly subs might be unworkable but a yearly  fundraiser might raise  enough....about £3600..maybe ask for £20 donations ? 

1 minute ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Is it just the cost, or are the folk running it going to chuck it for other reasons ? The suggestion of monthly subs might be unworkable but a yearly  fundraiser might raise  enough....about £3600..maybe ask for £20 donations ? 

300 a month but maybe the board earns 250 or 200 or 150 so the shortfall could actually not be that bad. I am worried they may have sold it to the guys that trademarked Tartan Army. They should give us the chance to save it first before shutting it down or doing that. I think they underestimate the support for this place. C'mon mods and admin... 

Just now, thplinth said:

Seems crazy expensive. You could rent a flat for that. Ok not a very nice one but just to host a message board?!

Can only assume it's the bandwidth usage that's really expensive for some reason. Hosting itself if very cheap, but if lots of people want the data then it ramps up pretty quick.

Just checked the currently inline users and it was up around 200 which surprise me. thought there was only a couple of dozen of us grumpy f**ks on here. :D

6 minutes ago, andyD said:

Can only assume it's the bandwidth usage that's really expensive for some reason. Hosting itself if very cheap, but if lots of people want the data then it ramps up pretty quick.

Just checked the currently inline users and it was up around 200 which surprise me. thought there was only a couple of dozen of us grumpy f**ks on here. :D

Bandwidth prices seem insane - the data volumes on here are minuscule.

Can't believe this is happening. I have been going on this site for about 13years. It is a good message board with high calibre of poster imo. Surely the admins on here could set up a donation scheme where by we could all contribute a few pound(literally) to keep the site going. I personally would be willing to give a few quid a year to keep the site going.

Even with the depleted state of the board surely we can form a fan consortium to save the place. Fan ownership would I think attract back many. This board has always been so opaque and mysterious about who owns it. Even in death we are guessing at what is going on behind the scenes. C'mon folks let us help you help us.