Tambs for the memories - Page 11 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tambs for the memories

24 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

I agree that when the board was at its best (in my time), a good deal of that was down to the way it was run and moderated. Equally though, it was down to both the quantity of posters and, within that, the quality of a good many.

I think it was you who pointed out a day or three back that someone had complained recently that folk who'd signed up had been left hanging for weeks (months?) before being registered. I know that there were occasional delays in the past, but nothing on that scale. Something changed in the running of the board (though 'admin 4' seemed an all right bloke / lass, it also seemed like the will had gone out of it - hence the Jonestown-esque mass suicide note).

I have no clue about the individuals who have run the board over the years, but it certainly hasn't been the same ones. PaulNATA seemed to be in charge when I registered, but he buggered off to Germany and someone else took over. Flat Earth and to an extent Lamia seemed to pretty much pull out of the place after 2014, and the moderation appeared to suffer as a result. Flure also pulled back and I could be wrong, but I felt that he was also involved in the board's running for a fair while.

The place has been barely moderated for well over a year. Take the Rossy v Slasher keyboard face-off. Not so long ago they'd've both got suspensions before things went as far as they did and it would have calmed down. As it was it was left to run its natural course and Rossy painted himself into a corner from which he evidently decided he couldn't return. Dead amusing for us onlookers, but not handled in the most sensible way (indeed not handled at all).

Good, committed admins and mods are important, but so are the members. This board's primary function is for supporters of Scotland to talk about the team and travel, but how often does a national team play these days? Eight times a year? So you get non-TA football, and Anything Goes - and they and those who posted in them sustained the board. I've never followed Rangers' fortunes closely enough to comment knowledgeably about the effect of all that on the non-TA forum, but I've spent plenty of time in Anything Goes and at some point it passed a tipping point where the number of posters declined to the extent that threads just died on their arse that once would've grown legs and danced for days. Without the members, the place is doomed. Toepoke pointed out during the recent double-header that the match thread barely managed three pages - that would've been thirty a few years back.

If a new team who know the board can get control - GMC and others who've offered to help, or whoever (ie: not Rab McDermott  types), I'm sure they'd be good administrators / mods, but it's the members that really make it work, and I don't know how they'll be enticed back from whatever it is that Facebook and Twitter offer.

I cant help but wonder if 2014 in particular was always going to hit this board more than any other due to the large overlap with fans and people who believe in Scottish self determination. After 2014 it was a massive wave of indifference... that and the football, SFA, prices blah blah blah...

But I recall years ago thinking this place is in gradual decline (at least 2011 but probably a couple of years before that as well, hard to remember exactly). Post 2014 that really accelerated. The board changes some time after 2014 seemed to provoke another mass wave of folk leaving. It seemed disproportionate that so many quit over that so maybe many were getting close to jacking it and that gave them the impetus. Does not feel like many if any young posters are joining and the average age of poster is now pretty old. Certainly be some challenges for anyone who would take it on. Maybe starting to think it is irreversible also. For the life of me I cannot fathom why people would rather post in their own little echo chamber bubbles in dozens of fragmented sites on facebook versus the TAMB. It absolutely mystifies me especially when you get guys like Robert running them versus the generally top quality modding you find here. And because it mystifies me so much I am really not sure how to get folk back on here. Even facebook is now having problems attracting the latest young generation as all their parents are all on it... Why is P&B surviving? Countless club sites? But the national team board can't survive. Seems odd. I wonder if the folk doing it all are just scunnered with it. Maybe if we saw what they saw we'd realize the game is up. The 300 quid does look like maybe their way out here. By flogging a dead horse we are also flogging them a bit. We just don't have enough information to know how bad/good it really is. But everyone has noticed how quiet it is now. It is hard to see it suddenly bustling again anytime soon no matter who is in charge. After running it in its heyday to running some scaled down survivor board must be rubbish. Can see why some / all may have lost interest.

However someone could take a chance on it and this could prove to be a post 2014 nadir and it could come back at some point. Never be what it was as that period was also a time when the internet was still relatively new. That 'innocence' is gone forever no matter what.

I think club sites survive simply because clubs play virtually every week and there's always something new to talk about and tickets to arrange etc.

Obviously not the case with the national side, and there's only so many "x amount of sleeps until Slovenia away" threads you can read before losing interest.

28 minutes ago, G-Man said:

:lol::lol: good night last night? :beer2:

So that's you Mindi to the right if the picture wearing light blue T? My memory is crap, that is not how I remember you, albeit only one meeting years ago. 

Feck me there's a frog in my roses.

No it's on the window sill outside, got all excited there thinking I had a new pal to replace my 'imaginary' tamb ones.  

.:lol::lol:

Nor me, lots of recognisable faces on it. Jen, Lamia, FE, Reeky and a phished man with grey hair kissing a phished bald man.:wub::wub:

Nope, I'm the one in the black blouse near the end chatting to Mick North Croy

15 minutes ago, thplinth said:

For the life of me I cannot fathom why people would rather post in their own little echo chamber bubbles in dozens of fragmented sites on facebook versus the TAMB. [...]

[...] By flogging a dead horse we are also flogging them a bit. We just don't have enough information to know how bad/good it really is. But everyone has noticed how quiet it is now. It is hard to see it suddenly bustling again anytime soon no matter who is in charge.

Just highlighting those two bits, but I generally agree with it all. Does feel a bit like we're picking over the bones here.

9 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

I think club sites survive simply because clubs play virtually every week and there's always something new to talk about and tickets to arrange etc.

Obviously not the case with the national side, and there's only so many "x amount of sleeps until Slovenia away" threads you can read before losing interest.

All true, but the Non-TA forum seems to be part of the general decline - I wonder if a fair few of the Rangers posters just chucked it as threads seemed to end up down a 'zombie' cul de sac.

As for Anything Goes ... as thplinth says, the average age is going up, and there's only so many times you can have the same discussions. I certainly feel that I'm just repeating myself half the time, and my TAMB holidays have been increasing in length and frequency.

1 hour ago, Lamia said:

Ohhh I don't dispute that she exists I dispute that it was her posting all the time.

1 hour ago, Mindimoo said:

I know exactly where you are going with that.  I raised the same concern at the time.  It was like a completely different person posting under her username

Perhaps a reflection of the many web sites that she visited?

Any 'change' would have come from the real change in her life.

Jude e-mails me and talks in person the same way that she posted.

1 hour ago, Reevesy said:

We need more threads asking if anyone found their sentimental feather or Glengarry that they dropped in the street in a city of 600k. They are always crackers 

Edited by iainmac1

10 hours ago, Jimmy`s Lassie said:

Was with him last week in Lithuania, he's his usual self ?

Hello ya tall skinny lurker. :hug:

1 hour ago, Mindimoo said:

Nope, I'm the one in the black blouse near the end chatting to Mick North Croy

10/10 that is definitely you and I'm relieved my memory is not as sheite as I thought. 

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

Perhaps a reflection of the many web sites that she visited?

Any 'change' would have come from the real change in her life.

Jude e-mails me and talks in person the same way that she posted.

So she had a dramatic style and personality change in her emails to you as well did she?

11 hours ago, andymac said:

Well done. Can't believe I spent 15 minutes to find a post that I put there to say you have identified one of my mates.Anyone else recognised?

1-2 others I think I recognised from the Heb Bar TA but I'd need to go back and check again (blurry memory from late last night )

32 minutes ago, fringo said:

1-2 others I think I recognised from the Heb Bar TA but I'd need to go back and check again (blurry memory from late last night )

I got to about 30 without trying to hard.

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

The board changes some time after 2014 seemed to provoke another mass wave of folk leaving. It seemed disproportionate that so many quit over that so maybe many were getting close to jacking it and that gave them the impetus.

It didn't half! Almost overnight too.

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

I never noticed a dramatic change.

(Were there any posts in particular?)

All of them after a particular point in time. If it wasn't a different person she had some sort of personality transplant. At the time I thought its might have been her other half.

Edited by Lamia

11 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

I wonder if a fair few of the Rangers posters just chucked it as threads seemed to end up down a 'zombie' cul de sac

Being completely honest, that's the main reason I kept away. I'm not overly sensitive, really, but felt that I couldn't engage in those particular threads because they were too subjective and unpleasant.

It's our own fault really!

9 hours ago, Orraloon said:

10/10 for recognising her own face?:huh: That's a fairly generous marking system you have got there.

She's gone from a cat to a scary green lass overnight so I think it's great she recognises herself from a few years ago. 

(Sshh Orraloon don't upset the shape shifter she's mental. Photo with Mick NC and one question, when was last time anyone heard from him?)