TAMB CLOSURE ANNOUNCEMENT - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

TAMB CLOSURE ANNOUNCEMENT

3 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

True. This £300 mentioned is running costs but what's the shortfall once advertising is taken off that?

My understanding is that the max total cost is £300/month. Advertising would have covered that (or most of it until now)

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

There might be 80k members but how many different people post here regularly over the course of a say a month though? Would it even be as high as 50. Wonder how many people visit it regularly. 

Moderation shouldn't be a problem if you could get 10 or so mods that should cover things. Posts can't be reported that often. 

I would like mods to be public though so they are more accountable and there won't be accusations of different rules for people etc which has happened in the past.

Aye cos that never happens to football referees.....

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

Nae cvnt, and I mean nae cvnt will allow you to be a mod. :lol:

I don't want to be a mod but...I'd be the ideal mod. I'd never ban anyone. I'd be totally transparent and happy to have my real name attributed to everything I did. :ok: 

A lot of people seem to have forgotten the threads in the past about how various mods were threatened on trips - someone even got one of them against a wall if I remember rightly. Maybe had something to do with it....

24 minutes ago, Lamia said:

A lot of people seem to have forgotten the threads in the past about how various mods were threatened on trips - someone even got one of them against a wall if I remember rightly. Maybe had something to do with it....

9 minutes ago, Mindimoo said:

On other message boards I think mods being public is fine, but on the TAMB it's likely you'll bump in to people you'll have banned or cautioned at some point.

Agreed.

Quite honestly I'd be prepared to take over the board no problem for a Craig Whyte pound with a promise to personally fund it for a year in the hope it could be turned around that is how sure I am it is a good bet but I am literally the last person for this job. You need someone who is well liked and not an idiot. ;)

Time is a ticking and there is a need to be getting things done.

Dave78(? was it) with the software company - how about you take over the board IT running for some free IT advertising? Sounds like you know what needs done tech wise for sure. Step up man if you can.

Problem is going to be who currently owns it... Can that (i assume private ownership) be made into fan ownership? Probably looking at a trust or some similar shit so would need a lawyer with experience in this fan ownership pish to make it all formal. And that assumes they (current owners) would be willing to let it go... I hope so if a 'non bawbag' scenario is organized. (Craig Whyte is probably actually reading this...) 

The best solution is they (current owners) wind their neck in and don't give up the ghost. The last few days should be evidence enough they are over the top giving up so soon. There have been enough TAMB suicide threads on here with the TAMB itself posting one. 

Edited by thplinth

Having seen just a small amount of the crowing and gleefulness on P&B (cant imagine what rangersmedia must be like) are the mods & admins on this board really going to roll over like this and give these whanks the satisfaction?

fuuuuhk that! 

Once that realization hits what this will be like you'll have old tambers bequeathing their entire estate just to pay your feckin server costs into perpetuity as a final GIRFUY.

Closing this board is bigger beamer than the NO if you do it. (Don't do it!)

9 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

Regarding the mods. Having them anonymous hasn't been overly successful as there have been many occasions where the rules have been blatantly different for other people. Make it clear what the rules are and have the mods public so there can be no ambiguity.

What makes you think knowing who the mods are would make moderating any easier? Truth is it would make it ten times harder. There wasn't one single suspension or ban I gave out that wasn't argued about - usually by a total fudrick who totally deserved the ban/suspension. If people had known who to focus their grievances on the board would be unmoddable. 

You seriously haven't a scooby pal...

4 hours ago, fringo said:

There's two main things to overcome to keep the TAMB going

1/ Money

2/ Willingness of Owners/Mods/Admins to give up their time to maintain it 

No. What you need to keep the TAMB going is a small group of people who can do stuff, rather than talk about it on the internet. People with the time and skills and motivation to take an off-the-shelf message board, do all the techy stuff to get it working, agree how the new team are going to run the board - including all the admin and mod stuff, find a host/server, and then, if you can do all that you THEN you only have to worry about funding it. 

9 minutes ago, Flat Earth said:

What makes you think knowing who the mods are would make moderating any easier? Truth is it would make it ten times harder. There wasn't one single suspension or ban I gave out that wasn't argued about - usually by a total fudrick who totally deserved the ban/suspension. If people had known who to focus their grievances on the board would be unmoddable. 

You seriously haven't a scooby pal...

I've missed you FE :)

For what it's worth, I agree with you.

11 minutes ago, Flat Earth said:

No. What you need to keep the TAMB going is a small group of people who can do stuff, rather than talk about it on the internet. People with the time and skills and motivation to take an off-the-shelf message board, do all the techy stuff to get it working, agree how the new team are going to run the board - including all the admin and mod stuff, find a host/server, and then, if you can do all that you THEN you only have to worry about funding it. 

You know man... I think you have to save the TAMB. I cant see anyone else capable of pulling it all together. I'll help in any way I can if you decide to save her.

1 hour ago, phart said:

I'm not doubting the veracity of the threats, just commenting on the craziness of having to keep the Moderation Team secret cause the members they moderate may physically attack them. Wha's like us.

The physical threats aren't a factor to be honest. But you'd never get a minutes peace trying to post on here and would get every single decision you ever made thrown back in your face with bells on. Every time anyone disagreed with you about ANYTHING you would be accused of double standards and hypocrisy.

And the truth of it is there would always be a certain level of double standards and hypocrisy, because we are all human. But you can only do your best, with genuine good intention, and try to be as fair as you can, and second guess yourself on every single decision you ever made - and it still wouldn't be good enough. 

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

Problem is going to be who currently owns it... Can that (i assume private ownership) be made into fan ownership? Probably looking at a trust or some similar shit so would need a lawyer with experience in this fan ownership pish to make it all formal. And that assumes they (current owners) would be willing to let it go... I hope so if a 'non bawbag' scenario is organized. (Craig Whyte is probably actually reading this...) 

There's nothing tangible to "own". All you need are the domain names, and if you get a new test board up and functional I'm pretty sure that if its a "run by the fans for the fans not-for-profit" set up the current mods/admin would happily pass over those domains.

14 minutes ago, Flat Earth said:

There's nothing tangible to "own". All you need are the domain names, and if you get a new test board up and functional I'm pretty sure that if its a "run by the fans for the fans not-for-profit" set up the current mods/admin would happily pass over those domains.

Seriously? Who holds the domains for example? Does the board have a bank account? If yes in what name? If not how how do 'you' the TAMB pay your bills?

Even if you are a club status you are an entity and someone is the 'owner' of sorts.

So what is the script in your view how can this be moved to new custodians if it comes to it?

edit: sorry none  of my business really.. Think I am getting the picture. It was probably all just done between a group of you personally... bless you all.

So someone on here is going to have to front a new tamb and not a baw bag neither. :lol:

Edited by thplinth

10 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

In the most recent post it said about using the name but not the current web address and server. Why not? If they are closing it down it shouldn't matter a jot to them who takes it on. Would be simpler to take over this board and keep it going without having people re-register elsewhere which would see others drift away. 

I would happily pay a small amount a month and help out to keep things going.

I think we could condense the board a bit to help increase traffic. Most people don't read every section. We don't need a ta specific and a home games section. They are pretty much the same thing so start by combining them into one ta section. The ta club's section is also very sparsely used to add that in with them as well in one section. 

Regarding the mods. Having them anonymous hasn't been overly successful as there have been many occasions where the rules have been blatantly different for other people. Make it clear what the rules are and have the mods public so there can be no ambiguity.

Agree with this in every respect, Iain. Makes absolute sense

32 minutes ago, Flat Earth said:

Again, solid stuff. It's why I said what I said on another thread.

I think most people had/have an idea of who most of the mods and admin are and I think I've met quite a few of you. It's easy to see why the board was run in what I think was a business like way. People that had different strengths, good communication skills, technical skills, a sense of fairness, completer finishers. Diverse skills and an appreciation of the part each other had in the running of the place. It's what every successful business has.

This is why I'm surprised at how it's seemingly ending. Surely the team can still see that the board is still of great benefit and interest to many Scotland fans, if not them. It might not be financially viable and their interests may now lie elsewhere but...

... Where's the succession planning? All good business have succession plans in place.

@Flure Where's the succession planning?

Why no earlier communication about the financial problems? Why no requests for new mods and admin?

Apologies if there were and I've missed them. I hope for the people that will miss this place that there's a team as thick skinned, talented and committed able to take over.

5 hours ago, Flat Earth said:

still, its extremely dissapointing that it is closing

that it cant be hnaded on

pie and bovril is absilutely hash and it survives

no one apart from the die hards ever had any idea who you lot were, or cared

we just just plugged in and occasionally commented

the sfa should provide funding, christ knows, elect a successor group

its  a symbiosis with the ongoing demise of our national game... that we cannot sustain a national team supporters message board

5 hours ago, Flat Earth said:

That's what I said/meant but maybe should have put them the other way round but thought I'd explained it.

7 hours ago, thplinth said:

Dave78(? was it) with the software company - how about you take over the board IT running for some free IT advertising? Sounds like you know what needs done tech wise for sure. Step up man if you can.

I know my way around webhosting, from single wordpress sites to cloud based applications that we pay thousands per month to Microsoft Azure for. 

I'm more than willing to volunteer what i can, for free (never mind any advertising... it wouldn't be effective anyway ;)). 

You're asking the right questions BTW thplinth. Are the Admin's willing to transfer the license for Invisionboard? Will they allow someone to FTP (File Transfer Protocol, not the other one!) into their server and download the board databases? Are they willing to point the domain name towards the new host?

Also, we need OLAS in all of this. He has more tech knowledge than anyone on the board i suspect.

7 hours ago, thplinth said:

Having seen just a small amount of the crowing and gleefulness on P&B (cant imagine what rangersmedia must be like) are the mods & admins on this board really going to roll over like this and give these whanks the satisfaction?

fuuuuhk that! 

Aye, it crossed my mind that they'd be celebrating this. Kunts.

Have the admin here said what is currently brought in in advertising a month? It has been asked a number of times. What is the real shortfall that has to be covered a month. The £300 mentioned could be considerably less.

Would a Wings Over Scotland style crowd funder work that could be run when funds are needed? 

If the information required is not forthcoming, in terms of the financials, why not just start afresh?  They have said they would pass on the URL if necessary, so that is all that is really required.  And if it doesn't happen, what is to stop a new URL working just as well?  Re-brands are often very successful.  There is only one real thing that matters and that is the members of the site.  If they have the appetite to keep it going, then it will work, simple as that.  The costs involved are not as expensive as people think, so it should be easy to cover without putting anyone out of pocket bar a few quid.

42 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

If the information required is not forthcoming, in terms of the financials, why not just start afresh?  They have said they would pass on the URL if necessary, so that is all that is really required.  And if it doesn't happen, what is to stop a new URL working just as well?  Re-brands are often very successful.  There is only one real thing that matters and that is the members of the site.  If they have the appetite to keep it going, then it will work, simple as that.  The costs involved are not as expensive as people think, so it should be easy to cover without putting anyone out of pocket bar a few quid.

Could I keep my old posts? Like little trophies all of them.