TAMB CLOSURE ANNOUNCEMENT - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

TAMB CLOSURE ANNOUNCEMENT

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BlueGaz said:

If the information required is not forthcoming, in terms of the financials, why not just start afresh?  They have said they would pass on the URL if necessary, so that is all that is really required.  And if it doesn't happen, what is to stop a new URL working just as well?  Re-brands are often very successful.  There is only one real thing that matters and that is the members of the site.  If they have the appetite to keep it going, then it will work, simple as that.  The costs involved are not as expensive as people think, so it should be easy to cover without putting anyone out of pocket bar a few quid.

We could call it TheTaranarmymessageboard :-)

4 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Could I keep my old posts? Like little trophies all of them. 

I was thinking the other day if somewhere all the archives of the TAMB are stored somewhere and if you could restore the entire posting history if you had the money and inclination. I suspect they just erased it all to save money. I always found it very sad the way they wiped the posting histories so regularly and so brutally. Strange thing is you could usually find the old threads via google but not via the tamb itself. Pre 2009/ late 2008 is a post holocaust. You cant find a thing. And that was the golden age... Anything Goes when I first joined and for years after was considered a bit dodgy. Folk were accused on the basis of posting only or too much in AOB versus TA specific. It was a very tight and cliquey place as well as being great. It was like walking into The Slaughtered Lamb making your first post god forbid starting a thread.

3 minutes ago, thplinth said:

It was like walking into The Slaughtered Lamb making your first post god forbid starting a thread.

:lol: You made that same analogy when I started my first thread and got attacked by Flat Earth.

You were good to me thplinth. I'm sorry for calling you splints when people were talking about lisps.

6 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I was thinking the other day if somewhere all the archives of the TAMB are stored somewhere and if you could restore the entire posting history if you had the money and inclination. I suspect they just erased it all to save money. I always found it very sad the way they wiped the posting histories so regularly and so brutally. Strange thing is you could usually find the old threads via google but not via the tamb itself. Pre 2009/ late 2008 is a post holocaust. You cant find a thing. And that was the golden age... Anything Goes when I first joined and for years after was considered a bit dodgy. Folk were accused on the basis of posting only or too much in AOB versus TA specific. It was a very tight and cliquey place as well as being great. It was like walking into The Slaughtered Lamb making your first post god forbid starting a thread.

And there you have the thing that makes us special B)

7 minutes ago, Bobster said:

:lol: You made that same analogy when I started my first thread and got attacked by Flat Earth.

You were good to me thplinth. I'm sorry for calling you splints when people were talking about lisps.

I recall it! (God we really are just repeating ourselves over and over on here...:lol:)

And I am (or at least was a long time ago) 'splints'. But I don't have a lisp so don't feel bad. (edit: Jonny I think also worked that one out ages ago but I just blanked and it was forgotten. B))

Always enjoyed your posts too Bobster while this big massive love-in lasts!

Edited by thplinth

One owner of last resort who might save the tamb... Or more accurately invent a new one as this one is going down. Someone who has got funds, has a successful website already, is single minded when they set a goal, is impervious to criticism, is a Scotland fan, is political self determination fan. Step up the Reverend Stuart Campbell. Oh yeah. :o

10 hours ago, thplinth said:

One owner of last resort who might save the tamb... Or more accurately invent a new one as this one is going down. Someone who has got funds, has a successful website already, is single minded when they set a goal, is impervious to criticism, is a Scotland fan, is political self determination fan. Step up the Reverend Stuart Campbell. Oh yeah. :o

:lol: 

Judging by how many folk h has blocked on twitter, dissenting voices wouldn't last long on a board run by him! 

Sad times.

Been on and off for over 10 years and has always been first port of call for all kinds of chat. Been a real low recently however but that seems down to poor management but also self-inflicted by current users. Far too much abuse and entrenchment meant it was ridiculous to even waste yer time contributing. Used to spend hours on here a few years back but only drop in irregularly now.

Needs a stronger public facing committee as well as a stronger moderating team. Committee needs to be a more open and democratic structure taking the board forward (IT issues, over-seeing moderation strategy, etc) while moderation needs to be completely revisited - IMO, it's a lack of decent moderation that's allowing threads to die on their ar$e and as a consequence people think it's a waste of time re-visiting the board. 

From IT perspective, a review of requirements and costs is clearly needed. £300 is crazy money is this day and age. And if money is needed, shouldn't be difficult to introduce small membership fee (£1/month) to access enhanced features/vote on committee proposals/get access or contribute to premium forums/etc. Would have no problem paying a small fee if I felt it was being run openly and democratically. Would take a small percentage of members to join to more than cover costs. 

Board has tonnes of potential. Should be a far greater influence within the Scotland support generally but is in serious need of a reboot.

Would be happy to help contribute in any way from an IT/software/moderation but it depends how and when that support is needed. This is why a decent sized committee is needed. It's not an easy job by any means.

Just to say i will  back any plan to save the TAMB. 

It's invaluable. We all know that.

As an aside, i play a board game, Diplomacy, online, at a site called PlayDip.  That has a very simple funding method. Free to play basic games. Or £25 pa to play fun multiple variations on the basic game. The payment process was very easy. Contact them for help if wanted on how its done. (Or i can).

Maybe the TAMB can be free to read for anyone and subscribe a small annual amount to be a poster.

I also the the Scotland Travel fees should dole out a small percentage to the TAMB.