Can the TA board be saved? - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Can the TA board be saved?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

well get them to read and agree to some T's and C's. one of which is behaviour - or else a ban with no refund. tick a box.

Edit to say I think in all the time on here I have only had one warning. And I have been in plenty of heated debates - so wouldn't be an issue for me so why other people?

If I did abuse the rules then id have no qualms about a ban regardless of payment.

I've had loads of warnings/suspensions. Some merited. Some given because the moderators think i'm a bawbag. :lol: 

There's a lot of talk about the money side of things and it seems that there's enough people prepared to help in some way towards that.

I don't think it's that simple though.

Hand over the cash to the current team that own the board and let them continue to run it. I doubt they will. The announcement says their view is that the days of message boards are over. I'd guess that the current team's days of message boards are also over.

So as I see it, the hard bit isn't initially the funding. It's someone putting together an enthusiastic, technically capable team of people that are prepared to give up a significant amount of their own time to build, moderate and administer a new version of the board. Ideally this team would know and like each other. I think they would also need to be intelligent, prolific posters to help the board along. People that want to bring new and diverse threads to the board for discussion and debate. Then, when necessary, switch to mod mode to stop any abuse being hurled around.

Can that be done?

9 minutes ago, Bobster said:

There's a lot of talk about the money side of things and it seems that there's enough people prepared to help in some way towards that.

I don't think it's that simple though.

Hand over the cash to the current team that own the board and let them continue to run it. I doubt they will. The announcement says their view is that the days of message boards are over. I'd guess that the current team's days of message boards are also over.

So as I see it, the hard bit isn't initially the funding. It's someone putting together an enthusiastic, technically capable team of people that are prepared to give up a significant amount of their own time to build, moderate and administer a new version of the board. Ideally this team would know and like each other. I think they would also need to be intelligent, prolific posters to help the board along. People that want to bring new and diverse threads to the board for discussion and debate. Then, when necessary, switch to mod mode to stop any abuse being hurled around.

Can that be done?

I agree, but ..... I think we have the technical ability to administer the site and I know there is a a few on here who would/will make good mods.  It needs someone to bring it all together, with volunteers and as you say, ideas, and move it forward.

1 minute ago, BlueGaz said:

I agree, but ..... I think we have the technical ability to administer the site and I know there is a a few on here who would/will make good mods.  It needs someone to bring it all together, with volunteers and as you say, ideas, and move it forward.

I think we have too but are they prepared to give up their time to do it? Are they able to give up their time to do it?

I've seen plenty offering cash but none offering time.

1 minute ago, Bobster said:

I think we have too but are they prepared to give up their time to do it? Are they able to give up their time to do it?

I've seen plenty offering cash but none offering time.

I suspect there are conversations being had in the background.  

5 hours ago, Mindimoo said:

I don't have a dog :(

Oddly a lot of our would be subscribers don't have dogs either. Hopefully there will  be people with 2 or 3 and we can share.

5 hours ago, Bobster said:

Exactly. Hookers indeed! Blind-side flankers perhaps?

Your idea is indeed a great one and I too have a full inbox of folk wanting to become members. Strangely though, they all want to remain totally anonymous. Something about the name.

Maybe Totally Anonymous Members Board would work? Just two sections - Doggers United and Technical Support. Second thoughts, forget the Technical Support :)

Right, I'm off to find a new avatar. Think I'll search for Dogger Silhouette image. This is going to be great!

Some mentioned anonymity to me, TDYER for one, but I assumed they thought we were planning to make it an elite board and didn't want to upset anyone not allowed to join.

Andymac has mentioned the Glennifer Braes  but Ally Bongo prefers the Cathkin Braes so that may be our first argument. They do agree on evening/nighttime walks though. 

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

?,  you told me it would be anonymous !

At least no-one knows what I look like..

Agree about the fried egg. The crunchy bits round the edge are the tastiest . Yum yum. 

As mentioned before most people want night time walks so it'll be difficult to make out faces anyway. 

3 hours ago, bonzo said:

I was thinking of starting a fishing club called hookers, maybe we could combine the two and call it dogging with hookers :ok:

Fabulous idea Bonzo. I honestly think this could be the start of a whole new era. You, Bobster and myself can be mods, Bluegaz and Manchestercity will be the hosts and Flure and Fringo can provide the laughs. 

10 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Oddly a lot of our would be subscribers don't have dogs either. Hopefully there will  be people with 2 or 3 and we can share.

Some mentioned anonymity to me, TDYER for one, but I assumed they thought we were planning to make it an elite board and didn't want to upset anyone not allowed to join.

Andymac has mentioned the Glennifer Braes  but Ally Bongo prefers the Cathkin Braes so that may be our first argument. They do agree on evening/nighttime walks though. 

As mentioned before most people want night time walks so it'll be difficult to make out faces anyway. 

Fabulous idea Bonzo. I honestly think this could be the start of a whole new era. You, Bobster and myself can be mods, Bluegaz and Manchestercity will be the hosts and Flure and Fringo can provide the laughs. 

Magic I've already got a scooter. 

5 hours ago, ShedTA said:

well get them to read and agree to some T's and C's. one of which is behaviour - or else a ban with no refund. tick a box.

Edit to say I think in all the time on here I have only had one warning. And I have been in plenty of heated debates - so wouldn't be an issue for me so why other people?

If I did abuse the rules then id have no qualms about a ban regardless of payment.

I'm sure there are plenty of organisations where if you break the rules you can be suspended irrespective of whether you've paid a subscription. As it is I don't think any individual would be stumping up a fortune so they'll be more likely annoyed by the ban rather than the fact they've paid.  And as you say there's an easy answer, keep the rules and don't abuse people on the board.

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I'm sure there are plenty of organisations where if you break the rules you can be suspended irrespective of whether you've paid a subscription. As it is I don't think any individual would be stumping up a fortune so they'll be more likely annoyed by the ban rather than the fact they've paid.  And as you say there's an easy answer, keep the rules and don't abuse people on the board.

Could also keep the board running just from some of the numerous trolls with multiple identities.

PGB alone could have shares in the new TAMB.

21 hours ago, Mindimoo said:

I don't have a dog :(

Don't worry Mindi. If truth be told, I don't either. I'm not that keen on fried eggs and don't wear pyjamas. I'm not even called Bob. :)

Keep quiet and G-Man won't notice. She's lovely but a bit slow. I remember she had 2 gerbils and it wasn't until one gave birth for a second time that she realised they weren't the same sex! :lol:

9 minutes ago, Bobster said:

Don't worry Mindi. If truth be told, I don't either. I'm not that keen on fried eggs and don't wear pyjamas. I'm not even called Bob. :)

Keep quiet and G-Man won't notice. She's lovely but a bit slow. I remember she had 2 gerbils and it wasn't until one gave birth for a second time that she realised they weren't the same sex! :lol:

:lol:

On 14/09/2017 at 11:24 AM, TDYER63 said:

I dont think for 1 minute the SSC would take this on , but surely to god they could help promote it a bit. FFS they send out ( or did send out) wee booklets for every away trip, recommending pubs etc to go to, surely to god they could help promote a website run by the team's own fans. 

Why do they hate the website? Is it basically just because they dont want to hear criticism ? 

And when was the last time they sent out information leaflets? 

2 hours ago, Lamia said:

And when was the last time they sent out information leaflets? 

Good point, but it would not be particularly difficult or costly for them to post links to Scotland supporters' chat forums on   emails when people are joining the supporters club.

You would think It was within their remit  to encourage conversations about the national team, whether it was what they wanted to hear or not. They wouldnt need to associate themselves with any one forum, just give people the link/s.

I definitely wouldnt want them being involved in the running of this board , for reasons already mentioned. But I do think they have a duty to help promote it. 

17 hours ago, Bobster said:

Well well well, the truth comes out. I'm not going to lie Bob (or is it Sally?) I was disappointed when I read your post but luckily Bonzo had sent me an email about the Dogging with Hookers club asking if I want to see his big Red Snapper before the first meeting. I'm not sure if it's stuffed and mounted or just a photo but I guarantee you'll regret not being there when he unveils it up the Cathkin Braes. 

As to the gerbils, my friendship with Andymac and Ally Bongo has opened my eyes to alternative lifestyles and I just assumed they were gay and following in Elton and Ronaldo's footsteps by adopting. :cheers3::cheers3:

10 hours ago, G-Man said:

Well well well, the truth comes out. I'm not going to lie Bob (or is it Sally?) I was disappointed when I read your post but luckily Bonzo had sent me an email about the Dogging with Hookers club asking if I want to see his big Red Snapper before the first meeting. I'm not sure if it's stuffed and mounted or just a photo but I guarantee you'll regret not being there when he unveils it up the Cathkin Braes. 

As to the gerbils, my friendship with Andymac and Ally Bongo has opened my eyes to alternative lifestyles and I just assumed they were gay and following in Elton and Ronaldo's footsteps by adopting. :cheers3::cheers3:

Well well well. You've got me wrong G-Man (or is it G-Woman?) While you were busy handing out your email address and arranging private get togethers with Bonzo the hooker, I was trying to make Mindi feel better about not having a dog and boost our membership.

The gerbil story is one of my favourites and I've been looking for a way to get it out there again. Still makes me laugh. 

14 hours ago, G-Man said:

Whoa just to be clear, the big red snapper is a Russian photographer who is going to take the official club photo :lol:

1 hour ago, bonzo said:

Whoa just to be clear, the big red snapper is a Russian photographer who is going to take the official club photo :lol:

Who was the green girl that turned up at the last meet and took this?

perverted-puppies.jpg?w=660

23 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Good point, but it would not be particularly difficult or costly for them to post links to Scotland supporters' chat forums on   emails when people are joining the supporters club.

You would think It was within their remit  to encourage conversations about the national team, whether it was what they wanted to hear or not. They wouldnt need to associate themselves with any one forum, just give people the link/s.

Except they don't want to encourage that unless everyone agrees not to criticise them

I would be more than happy to keep the board up and running. I have the server and software already so it would be a simple transition. Having run a small forum since 2001 (fifefootball.co.uk/forums) I am very familiar with the invision software.

Although I am now based in the US (Arizona), I am still a travel club member and continue to make a couple of games a year................will be back again in November for the play-offs ;-)

I have reached out to admin to hear their thoughts.

On 16/09/2017 at 0:11 PM, Bobster said:

Well well well. You've got me wrong G-Man (or is it G-Woman?) While you were busy handing out your email address and arranging private get togethers with Bonzo the hooker, I was trying to make Mindi feel better about not having a dog and boost our membership.

The gerbil story is one of my favourites and I've been looking for a way to get it out there again. Still makes me laugh. 

Okay I'll let you away with it Bob, I've met the lovely Mindi so fully appreciate you feeling her. 

On 16/09/2017 at 3:32 PM, bonzo said:

Bonzo 2 questions, 1- when looking for a photographer did you mention Cathkin Braes and 2- does he advertise on Grindr? If yes to both these questions this may become the tamb Calendar Girls moment. 

I'll need a wide angle lens. Walked into the pub to meet friends the other night and barman walking by said "are you with the Weight Watchers party?" He didn't think he deserved " No, are you with the baldy ugly group." because there really was a weight watchers group in.  

I only cheered up in the chippy on way home. 

15 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Okay I'll let you away with it Bob, I've met the lovely Mindi so fully appreciate you feeling her. 

Bonzo 2 questions, 1- when looking for a photographer did you mention Cathkin Braes and 2- does he advertise on Grindr? If yes to both these questions this may become the tamb Calendar Girls moment. 

I'll need a wide angle lens. Walked into the pub to meet friends the other night and barman walking by said "are you with the Weight Watchers party?" He didn't think he deserved " No, are you with the baldy ugly group." because there really was a weight watchers group in.  

I only cheered up in the chippy on way home. 

:lol: