Can the TA board be saved? - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Can the TA board be saved?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, jailender said:

I notice a few of the mods have been on over the last week or so, and think they might be getting a bit of undeserved stick as to whether they are monitoring threads, or in contact with folk interested in seving/changing the way the TAMB is run.

I'm not giving them stick. In most of my recent posts I've done the opposite.

It's just that there seems to be so many threads talking about saving the board that it's difficult for anyone to keep up and important stuff could get missed. I also think that anyone that's serious about trying to take on the board in whatever way should take the responsibility of contacting the board owners directly.

3 hours ago, scotsmanarizona said:

I could keep this board exactly as it is and have it moved over to my server in a couple of hours.  Just waiting to hear back from admin.

Good on you man. There should be no reason for the board closing considering this offer, someone with an existing server and the skills to go with it. That sounds like a reasonable offer to say the least.

1 hour ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Are they not even monitoring these threads to facilitate handover/recovery discussions?

The people who are dealing with them by PM will know by now how truly keen they are to hand over or not. If you are serious you should contact the mods directly and take it off board. To those attempting to save the board, if you get the impression they are not serious about saving it you should say so sooner rather than later, give folk a chance to find another solution before its too late. But I doubt that would be the case, I think it will be saved, but I am not sure. And even if it is saved this is as natural a quit-point as you can find versus the relatively trivial board changes a while ago...and so I suspect longer term it will only provoke another wave of TAMB suicides not TAMB resurrections. I personally think this is the end of TAMB as we know it no matter what happens next. I am not feeling particularly positive about the situation at this point. :( November 1st seems an age away strangely...

19 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Good on you man. There should be no reason for the board closing considering this offer, someone with an existing server and the skills to go with it. That sounds like a reasonable offer to say the least.

The people who are dealing with them by PM will know by now how truly keen they are to hand over or not. If you are serious you should contact the mods directly and take it off board. To those attempting to save the board, if you get the impression they are not serious about saving it you should say so sooner rather than later, give folk a chance to find another solution before its too late. But I doubt that would be the case, I think it will be saved, but I am not sure. And even if it is saved this is as natural a quit-point as you can find versus the relatively trivial board changes a while ago...and so I suspect longer term it will only provoke another wave of TAMB suicides not TAMB resurrections. I personally think this is the end of TAMB as we know it no matter what happens next. I am not feeling particularly positive about the situation at this point. :( November 1st seems an age away strangely...

Im curious rather than serious for reason that I'm not sure I'd have enough time to contribute in any technical sense. And it just seems daft to me to have a number of people PM admin with same/similar questions and for them having to answer same stuff over and over. Would have thought it was easier to open a new sticky FAQ summarising questions that have been asked. Will dump questions into a PM though.

Would be good to also ask questions of IPB but that should really come from existing owners or an caretaker committee who explore what can happen.

IMHO it will not work like that. If the current group judge 'you' (any of you) as a serious potential new owner / custodian they will give you much more info as they see fit (but by no means all, ever) and that is it. This is not going to be an open discussion. It was all done privately by a group of pals. If you have a plan write to them and put it to them. I am sure they would be reasonable if it made sense to them. If not we will know on Nov 1st or sooner. 

Even modest VPS hosting is cheap:

https://uk.godaddy.com/hosting/vps-hosting

£25 per month for Ultimate package and all packages include unmetered bandwidth. I think the disk space usage would be a far bigger issue (after some time) than bandwidth. thplinth alone talks enough nonsense to consume the Deluxe disk space. ;)

From what I can tell, the Invision self-hosted license has no usage/user limitations and can be purchase for £100 with a £25 quid renewal every 6 months. Another £100 with a £35 quid renewal gets you the Commerce functionality that would enable subscription based membership. This works out to be significantly cheaper than the figures quoted currently. Can only assume Invision are currently hosting the forum which would explain the expense and the various usage limits. Kinda makes sense if that has been done due to lack of technical experience of behalf of the owners but such arrangements can be financially crippling.

I can't believe the throughput or footprint of this forum is huge enough that a decent VPS or even dedicated server couldnt cope. The latter would even be cheaper than current costs.

2 minutes ago, thplinth said:

IMHO it will not work like that. If the current group judge 'you' (any of you) as a serious potential new owner / custodian they will give you much more info as they see fit (but by no means all, ever) and that is it. This is not going to be an open discussion. It was all done privately by a group of pals. If you have a plan write to them and put it to them. I am sure they would be reasonable if it made sense to them. If not we will know on Nov 1st or sooner. 

Sure. Can only ask the questions and see what happens. If information isnt forthcoming, it either dies, gets transferred in a private sale or a new group build a new forum from ground up. Open market and all that and a TAMB is some form will be driven by market forces and how much we all want one.

Hardest part is pulling various people together who know what they are doing and working out an ownsership and IT strategy.

15 minutes ago, Admin4 said:

We note a couple of posters have claimed that they have contacted Admin about stuff.

May we ask by what method they have done this, because it's not immediately apparent to us.

You need to open a thread.

I re-posted your original announcement but you need to post it yourselves in an open thread and then reply to people!

You seem to be making this very hard. 

You disallowed replies on your announcements and now you don't seem to be getting PM's... Coincidence?

Just now, thplinth said:

You need to open a thread.

I re-posted your original announcement but you need to post it yourselves in an open thread and then reply to people!

You seem to be making this very hard. 

You disallowed replies on your announcements and now you don't seem to be getting PM's... Coincidence?

Aw, f**k off.

3 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Are they not even monitoring these threads to facilitate handover/recovery discussions?

I have made contact with admin, just waiting to hear back.  Ideally the current forum can just be moved. That would be the most simple thing to do, however, I will happily create a platform for all the people that still want to keep a message board going.