Just for old times sake - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Just for old times sake

shaggycoo

On 13/09/2017 at 7:59 AM, bossman4 said:

Brilliant day, really doesn't feel like 10 years ago ?.

As a mate said yesterday, could write a book about this trip alone. Arrived on the Monday, 2 days of swally, Tuesday night ended up in some bar/restaurant which was owned by some local TV chef, had a nose bleed which I never get and havn't had since, chefs wife proceeded to help me out, great night had with the staff and punters in the place. Day of the game was just mental from start to finish. Just remember sitting outside some cafe bar at the big roundabout near the ground thinking what the f*ck just happend. Best trip ever.

David Dickson did write a book about it called 'We'll Always Have Paris'  - I have a chapter in it :cheers3:. Weirdly enough I had initially bought 'French end' tickets but when they increased the official allocation from 4,000 to almost 8,000 both me and my son in law got one. I put them up for sale on the TAMB and it was David Dickson who bought them and then later on he wrote the book. He only printed about 3 or 400 copies but if you can get one it is brilliant and comprises of numerous supporters writing their stories of those 2-3 days which David then put together :ok:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember buying tickets for the game on a french website. I dont understand a word of French, I got German at school. I had no idea what I was doing or what I was going to end up with, I was clicking on everything and anything. It took me an hour to get to the end and just as I clicked the button to submit I noticed a wee union jack at the top right hand side of the page. There had been a translate button there all the time.

The day of the game we were sitting outside a wee bar at the Eiffel Tower. I stopped  the waiter and pointed to the patio heater above us. I was roasting and wanted it turned down, so said 'off'off, off ' as I had no idea what 'off' was in French.  He shook his head and said, in perfect English,  'it is not on', and pointed over to the big yelllow sun in the sky ?

We walked to the game, though not on the official march.  We stopped off at a convenience store to replenish our carry oot. This was my first experience of Desperados. They were not sold in the uk at that time but were sold in big cans in Paris. I liked the sound of the name , but at 5 '4 and 9 stone I was absolutely steaming  by the time I got to the stadium. The game is a bit of a haze but not the goal. I had a free picture that I got from a newspaper up in my kitchen for about 2 years after the match.  

After the game we travelled back to our hotel as it was out the way a bit and  a few tube stops away from the centre. We decided to go for a night cap in a bar next to the hotel. When we walked in everyone got up and cheered and clapped us . It was amazing and so unexpected. 

Thank you James McFadden for possibly the best Scotland experience to date, and for making me a celebrity for a night. 

7 hours ago, j b lyons said:

David Dickson did write a book about it called 'We'll Always Have Paris'  - I have a chapter in it :cheers3:. Weirdly enough I had initially bought 'French end' tickets but when they increased the official allocation from 4,000 to almost 8,000 both me and my son in law got one. I put them up for sale on the TAMB and it was David Dickson who bought them and then later on he wrote the book. He only printed about 3 or 400 copies but if you can get one it is brilliant and comprises of numerous supporters writing their stories of those 2-3 days which David then put together :ok:

Certainly is. :ok:

On 15/09/2017 at 1:20 PM, TDYER63 said:

I remember buying tickets for the game on a french website. I dont understand a word of French, I got German at school. I had no idea what I was doing or what I was going to end up with, I was clicking on everything and anything. It took me an hour to get to the end and just as I clicked the button to submit I noticed a wee union jack at the top right hand side of the page. There had been a translate button there all the time.

The day of the game we were sitting outside a wee bar at the Eiffel Tower. I stopped  the waiter and pointed to the patio heater above us. I was roasting and wanted it turned down, so said 'off'off, off ' as I had no idea what 'off' was in French.  He shook his head and said, in perfect English,  'it is not on', and pointed over to the big yelllow sun in the sky ?

We walked to the game, though not on the official march.  We stopped off at a convenience store to replenish our carry oot. This was my first experience of Desperados. They were not sold in the uk at that time but were sold in big cans in Paris. I liked the sound of the name , but at 5 '4 and 9 stone I was absolutely steaming  by the time I got to the stadium. The game is a bit of a haze but not the goal. I had a free picture that I got from a newspaper up in my kitchen for about 2 years after the match.  

After the game we travelled back to our hotel as it was out the way a bit and  a few tube stops away from the centre. We decided to go for a night cap in a bar next to the hotel. When we walked in everyone got up and cheered and clapped us . It was amazing and so unexpected. 

Thank you James McFadden for possibly the best Scotland experience to date, and for making me a celebrity for a night. 

And I went to my bed coz I was emotionally exhausted :lol:

On 15/09/2017 at 0:41 PM, j b lyons said:

aye ive got a bit in it and a copy of it, cracking read, so many folk missed the goal :lol:

On 17/09/2017 at 10:37 AM, Kirk said:

aye ive got a bit in it and a copy of it, cracking read, so many folk missed the goal :lol:

Exactly!   Just a goal kick, and happy at 0-0 coming up for half time.   Just remember a blur of white and thinking, "Is that the net moving?"

Get shivers every time I see a picture of the scoreboard clock.   Spent more time looking at it than the game.

Edited by Grim Jim

10 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Exactly!   Just a goal kick, and happy at 0-0 coming up for half time.   Just remember a blur of white and thinking, "Is that the net moving?"

Get shivers every time I see a picture of the scoreboard clock.   Spent more time looking at it than the game.

McFadden scored in the 64th minute

How drunk were YOU :lol:

On 18/09/2017 at 1:16 PM, Grim Jim said:

? you eere defos steaming but i get  what you mean