Just for old times sake - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Just for old times sake

shaggycoo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm in that video when it cuts tot he away end  (official away end not that you'd know!) and can still remember the disbelief all round the support!

Do you remember at the end of the game, when the vast majority of the French fans left the ground, there were pockets of hundreds of Scotland fans all over the place.  And if I remember correctly, a lot of french fans outside the stadium clapping as we left - certainly at the official away bit.  

Great night.  

Edited by BlueGaz

It is the only Scotland game that I was unable to attend because of work. Watched it with family, I turned away from the TV before he hit is, so even missed it 'live'. Everyone else was going mad, it's not the same on replay. 

Still my favourite Scotland player. McFadden is a legend imo, what a player for us he was. 

47 minutes ago, Parklife said:

My biggest Scotland supporting regret that i didn't go to Paris. A magical night. 

The Paris part on the David Begg documentary is wonderful, makes me fill up, even now. 

Whats that exactly? :S never heard of it before. Cheers

EDIT: I cant watch any videos on work PC's grrr

Edited by Mazziessc

3 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

Whats that exactly? :S never heard of it before. Cheers

EDIT: I cant watch any videos on work PC's grrr

When Begg retired they made a Radio Scotland documentary with him about his career, memorable games he'd commented on, etc. Well worth a listen :ok: 

It doesn't last the 2.5 hours that the Youtube video is, i think that just loops the 45 minute (i think) documentary 3 times, for some weird reason. 

1 hour ago, BlueGaz said:

Do you remember at the end of the game, when the vast majority of the French fans left the ground, there were pockets of hundreds of Scotland fans all over the place.  And if I remember correctly, a lot of french fans outside the stadium clapping as we left - certainly at the official away bit.  

Great night.  

Aye, brilliant times.

Watch this video, it gets me teary eyed every time.

Richard Gordon is superb.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

For those on facebook

#MyScotland: Paris 2007

We've been speaking to fans, players, pundits and more about their favourite Scotland moments. There has been one answer that nearly everyone has said: 2007, Paris and James McFadden. What are your memories of that night?

Posted by Scotland National Team on Tuesday, 12 September 2017

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

My biggest Scotland supporting regret that i didn't go to Paris. A magical night. 

The Paris part on the David Begg documentary is wonderful, makes me fill up, even now. 

It was the game I missed to my eternal regret (no mates going so didnt go alone,,,eejit).

Barely missed a game since.

3 hours ago, Bobster said:

What a day! On my birthday too.

Flure's as well I believe. Happy birthday old chap.

My better half's too.  And her first away trip.  Had to tell her afterwards that it wasn't always like this!  :lol::(

We were diagonally opposite the "official" Scotland section and even had a few French folk in beside us.  I'll never forget them coming up the stairs to get to their seats, looking around and seeing nothing but Scotland tops and just p1ssing themselves laughing.  Great laugh we had with them.  Even though they were gutted afterwards they still shook hands with as many of us as they could.  Just a magical day and that wacky screeching commentary will never be beaten!

We were mixed in with French fans too, although it was mainly Scotland supporters. When the goal went in, there was a moment of disbelief then someone said, "fk me. Is that a goal?" Then the place went tonto. There were so many of us there that night, it was like a home game. And the noise? I will never forget the sound as long as I live. France pumped us after the goal, but couldn't score. Gordon was magnificent that night and definitely kept the score at 1-0.  Without doubt, the happiest away game I have been to. We walked down the champs Elysee next day to handshakes and smiles from the French. A great trip...

7 minutes ago, Boboblanko said:

We were mixed in with French fans too, although it was mainly Scotland supporters. When the goal went in, there was a moment of disbelief then someone said, "fk me. Is that a goal?" Then the place went tonto. There were so many of us there that night, it was like a home game. And the noise? I will never forget the sound as long as I live. France pumped us after the goal, but couldn't score. Gordon was magnificent that night and definitely kept the score at 1-0.  Without doubt, the happiest away game I have been to. We walked down the champs Elysee next day to handshakes and smiles from the French. A great trip...

:lol: I don't think there was an angle in the ground where it was obvious it went in straight away.  There was a delay, not sure if it was disbelief at the time or genuine, did it go in or not?

Not sure if i remember correctly, but was there not something regarding Trezeguet and a t-shirt at the time?  something like we wont get beat twice etc. 

4 hours ago, shaggycoo said:

10 years to the day:

I must have been the only person gutted when I found out the result

Id recently started a new job and was on the backshift so planned to tape it and avoid the score. This was in the days before everyone had smart phones so you'd think it would have been a doddle to avoid the score, especially as my work was full of middle aged women who took no interest in football.

I found myself a desk way away from everyone and put my Sony Ericsson mobile Walkman in and was listening to the same 13 songs over and over. 

I still watched the game back and still went radge when the goal went in and went radger when the whistle went. I was doing cartwheels around the living room at 2 in the morning

I ended up 2 rows in front at the goal ?. Late drinking session that was properly euphoric. Actually savouring the victory and talking about the game instead of the usual drowning of sorrows and creating a party. Some good sing songs though....the Scots are having a paaaa-aarty...................................the French are going tae work !

I also seem to remember that watching the game back home, something happened that you don't see often. As the teams lined up for the anthems the French players were visibly distracted and looking at the crowd. Was like they sensed something strange was going on ☺