Celtic v PSG - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Celtic v PSG

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

And he got clapped off field by GB. Booed [and punched] by the normal supporters though. Greeting Brigade. 

10 hours ago, Mox said:

No he didn't, the whole section was booing him and giving him pelters as soon as he got onto the pitch. 

10 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

Ok, they were clapping the stewards for getting him. Possible I suppose. But they were clapping either or. 

If you don't know, just make it up, eh? :lol: 

5 hours ago, Ormond said:

The only guys who actually have a clue about reality are Slasher, Reevesy and Dalgety to name a few. 

F you :(

5 hours ago, Ormond said:

:ok: Sick of hearing guys who know nothing about the years of following a team from the bottom to the top know nothing about football at all. Pasta is terrible for that. When I started following Saints they were the worst in the country. The bottom of division 2. Guys like Pasta, Mox, etc. tell us all about the failings of McInnes, Wright et al, then bleat about the gulf between PSG, England or Spain. The only guys who actually have a clue about reality are Slasher, Reevesy and Dalgety to name a few. 

:lol: You are one of the most clueless posters on here. 

7 hours ago, dandydunn said:

You could almost make that a like for like assessment of what celtic are doing to Scottish football. There's no point moaning that Celtic can't compete, just accept it, like every other fan the length and breadth of the country has had to do for nigh on 30 years now. Football as a competition is over, domestically and on the continent. 

That's why international football is my favourite. Whilst money can help (facilities, bonuses, managers etc), it doesn't have anywhere near the same impact.

I'm reminded of the Frankie Boyle joke about drugs in athletics. 'Just give them all the drugs they want, I'd pay good money to see a man race a cheetah over 100 metres'. That's pretty much where we are in fitba.

Mibbe we should all chuck it and go watch the juniors? ?

2 minutes ago, slasher said:

I'm reminded of the Frankie Boyle joke about drugs in athletics. 'Just give them all the drugs they want, I'd pay good money to see a man race a cheetah over 100 metres'. That's pretty much where we are in fitba.

One thing I do religiously is go to a game on a Saturday/weekend - if I don't I have to go shopping.  If on the odd occassion I don't get an away ticket, I always go to watch the juniors, or a lower league team - always enjoy it.  

7 minutes ago, slasher said:

Yep. Least it's competitive. Fitba is ####ed, has been for a long time. 

19 minutes ago, slasher said:

It's fecked as well.  As is the Highland League. 

Wage caps - it's the only way. Domestic football has become dull as.

11 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Getting to the CL group stage is important to Celtic as it brings in serious money we don't get from other avenues that other teams get, like TV. It allows us to keep players like Dembele and Tierney a little longer. 

However, in the era of a handful of mega rich super teams, the Champions League has become an awful competition until the later stages. This rounds of matches has seen a 6-0, a 5-0, a 4-0 and several other one sided matches. 

The Champions League has resulted in almost every league in Europe being dominated by the same teams and it is killing top level football. 

I agree with your point on the group stages of the Champions League, it doesn't start getting interesting until knockout stages.  Too many one sided meaningless games and too few upsets.  The group setup means that the vast bulk of the seeded teams make it into the knockout rounds.  It gives guaranteed income though and that's what the clubs want.  

Your final point is wrong though.   On the whole, it's the same teams that dominate their domestic leagues now that dominated 20 years ago when the CL was expanded to include non-league winners.

Real Madrid still dominate in Spain, AC Milan and Juventus dominate in Italy, Bayern Munich are the pre-eminent team in Germany, Holland it's still Ajax, PSV Eindhoven and Feyenoord, Belgium ,Anderlecht, France PSG and Marseilles.  I could go on.  England, if anything, has bucked the trend and is more competitive with Chelsea and Man City joining Man United and Arsenal.

Have to say that PSG side, first half especially, were outstanding. One of the ways that Celtic, and Scotland, try to compete with opponents on a higher level than them is by getting in their faces, harassing them, lots of energy etc. Tuesday was the first time I have seen that not even having an effect on a team as, quite simply, Celtic couldn't even get close to PSG to try and harass them! Teams like Barca and Real Madrid are great on the ball, keep it well, but I don't think I have seen a team who move the ball as quickly, and as accurately, as that PSG side did on Tuesday. Celtic looked about 2 yards off the pace all through the first half but I think that was due to the speed of movement of PSG. Tierney looked out of position a fair bit but again that was due to the speed and movement of Mbappe down the right. The midfield struggled to keep the ball for any length of time to take the "sting" out of PSG, Griffiths never seen the ball as we had lost it by the time we got that far up the park and Sinclair, who at times can look unstoppable in the SPL, never once managed to have any sort of impact on Dani Alves. It was an eye opener. One of the most impressive displays I have seen for a fair while. How much of it was PSG and how much of it was Celtic is debatable, probably a bit of both. They will take a fair bit of stopping though.

The only thing that I can think of as comparable was Celtic v Dynamo Kiev in 1987. Kiev had about 9 of the players from the USSR 1986 World Cup side, who were also outstanding, and played with a pace and accuracy that was simply amazing to watch. Even in warm up, the played a one touch 5 a side across the park while big Roy and Tom McAdam were charging about like dafties hammering balls here there and everywhere in the other half. Big difference from Tuesday was we managed to scrape a draw (1-1, 2-2, can't remember now) that night and a narrow gubbing in Kiev in the second leg. But speed of movement and players was like PSG on Tuesday.

11 minutes ago, Chesney Hawkes TA said:

Unfortunately international football matches (and tournaments) are mostly horrendous to watch.

I disagree.  Obviously many international teams aren't as full of riches as some of the top CL teams, however, i think international football regularly highlights that money isn't everything and that pride and playing for your country mean many international teams become more than the sum of their parts.

I'd argue that many more CL and EPL games are horrendous to watch.

Edited by SMcoolJ

2 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

I disagree.  Obviously many international teams aren't as full of riches as some of the top CL teams, however, i think international football regularly highlights that money isn't everything and that pride and playing for your country mean many international teams become more than the sum of their parts.

Without doubt.

The worst thing about International football is the pot 1 v pot 6 teams but even most of those games aren't as bad as some CL matches. 

16 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Agree 100%. 

31 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

There's no way international teams are as fluent and as good to watch as the best club teams. International tournaments are so bad because there are so few good teams and the rest just make themselves hard to beat which makes for a poor spectacle. The Champions League group stage is a joke but so are qualifying campaigns for international tournaments.  As has been mentioned elsewhere, the Champions League is only worth watching from the quarter-finals, before that goal highlights suffice.

International qualifying tournaments may have important games because of what's at stake but the standard of game is terrible.

4 hours ago, aaid said:

I agree with your point on the group stages of the Champions League, it doesn't start getting interesting until knockout stages.  Too many one sided meaningless games and too few upsets.  The group setup means that the vast bulk of the seeded teams make it into the knockout rounds.  It gives guaranteed income though and that's what the clubs want.  

Your final point is wrong though.   On the whole, it's the same teams that dominate their domestic leagues now that dominated 20 years ago when the CL was expanded to include non-league winners.

Real Madrid still dominate in Spain, AC Milan and Juventus dominate in Italy, Bayern Munich are the pre-eminent team in Germany, Holland it's still Ajax, PSV Eindhoven and Feyenoord, Belgium ,Anderlecht, France PSG and Marseilles.  I could go on.  England, if anything, has bucked the trend and is more competitive with Chelsea and Man City joining Man United and Arsenal.

Real Madrid have only won the league twice in 9 years and AC Milan havent won the scudetto for 7 years, domination?

25 minutes ago, Chesney Hawkes TA said:

There's no way international teams are as fluent and as good to watch as the best club teams. International tournaments are so bad because there are so few good teams and the rest just make themselves hard to beat which makes for a poor spectacle.

Disagree. There's nothing wrong with defending. It seems to be more and more common for folk to describe games as "boring" unless there are lots of goals. To me, watching games like Celtic vs PSG, where one team absolutely shags another is boring, even if there are 5 goals. 

A closely fought, tight game, even if one team is doing the vast majority of the attacking is much more interesting and entertaining to me. 

As an aside, what's your view on the Spain team from 2008-2012? 

4 hours ago, aaid said:

The point now is that domestically the same sides are winning their leagues by much larger margins and with much less defeats (England is probably the exception to this). There's no way for the non-CL teams to even get close to the CL teams, due to the massive gulf in finances. England is probably the exception, due to the very equitable way that the Premier League shares the massive TV wealth it generates. 

You may be right in saying that it is the same, traditionally more successful, teams that are winning the titles. However, they are doing so much, much more easily as competition is stifled domestically due to the massive difference in spending power between them and the rest of the division. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

The point now is that domestically the same sides are winning their leagues by much larger margins and with much less defeats (England is probably the exception to this). There's no way for the non-CL teams to even get close to the CL teams, due to the massive gulf in finances. England is probably the exception, due to the very equitable way that the Premier League shares the massive TV wealth it generates. 

You may be right in saying that it is the same, traditionally more successful, teams that are winning the titles. However, they are doing so much, much more easily as competition is stifled domestically due to the massive difference in spending power between them and the rest of the division. 

If you're saying the bigger clubs are getting further ahead of the other clubs, then I'd agree to you to an extent but I don't think the Champions League is the sole reason.  Wealthy owners has an even bigger impact than CL revenue.

Scotland's a bad example in this respect as there is currently one club - the richest - that is currently miles ahead of everyone else and is hoovering up all the revenue but I don't think that's across the board.   That's made even worse Scotland only has one place in the CL so whoever qualifies gets the lot.

It's be interesting to know how UEFA work out how much money is allocated to Scotland in the CL.   One of the factors in calculating prize money is what the call "market value" which is essentially what the TV rights for that country was sold for.  That's fairly straightforward for everyone else but of course for England and Scotland, its two countries one TV deal.   Anyone know any more on this?  There's a complete breakdown for 2014/15 but unfortunately no Scottish team qualified for the group stages.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Disagree. There's nothing wrong with defending. It seems to be more and more common for folk to describe games as "boring" unless there are lots of goals. To me, watching games like Celtic vs PSG, where one team absolutely shags another is boring, even if there are 5 goals. 

A closely fought, tight game, even if one team is doing the vast majority of the attacking is much more interesting and entertaining to me. 

As an aside, what's your view on the Spain team from 2008-2012? 

Decent international teams like that Spain one are generally very good because they have a significant amount of players from one club, so play like that club. That is very much the exception in international football though and hence why that Spain team sticks out and to a lesser extent the recent Germany team did.

Watching defence v attack in countless games in that ludicrously expanded Euros last year was tedious beyond belief.