Can we come up with some new Chants/Songs - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Can we come up with some new Chants/Songs

GordyA88

14 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Ironically... this is actually one of the (many) reasons board is close to dying. User posts opinion on something that interests them, other users have nothing to contribute but post telling them their posts aren't welcome. Variety of debate ensures there's something for everyone; instead some would rather make them feel completely unwelcome. How hard is it to bite lip on threads you aren't interested in? :P

Short of banning mobile phones which clearly wont ever happen, I don't see any harm in fans sharing ideas for improving atmosphere. Each to their own.

100% spot on 

however this isn't unique to the tamb, most board are going the same way. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 15/09/2017 at 9:17 PM, Texas Pete said:

Good luck with that mate.

In a crowd of 50,000 at Hampden you'd be lucky if 500 of them spoke Gaelic. 

Well I don't speak Gàidhlig (much to my shame), but it doesn't stop one appreciating the sheer power and haunting beauty of the language however. 

One simple word (Scotland - Alba) would not be hard for people to learn. :ok:

I don't speak Cymraeg either but I like listening to Dafydd Iwan's songs.

Here's one highly appropriate to supporting the Scotland national team since the turn of the century.

Cher's "If I Could Turn Back Time" :lol:

"If I could turn back time
If I could find a way
I'd take back those words that hurt you
And you'd stay
If I could reach the stars
I'd give 'em all to you
Then you'd love me, love me, like you used to do, oh"

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Well I don't speak Gàidhlig (much to my shame), but it doesn't stop one appreciating the sheer power and haunting beauty of the language however. 

One simple word (Scotland - Alba) would not be hard for people to learn. :ok:

I don't speak Cymraeg either but I like listening to Dafydd Iwan's songs.

It's a dead language that is spoken by about 1% of the population and was never spoken where I come from. 

I think more speak Urdu in Scotland than speak Gaelic

I don't have anything against the language and if people want to speak it then fair play to them but I don't identify with it and have no interest in singing/chanting it at Scotland games any more than I would sing in Welsh or French. 

11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It's a dead language that is spoken by about 1% of the population and was never spoken where I come from. 

I think more speak Urdu in Scotland than speak Gaelic

I don't have anything against the language and if people want to speak it then fair play to them but I don't identify with it and have no interest in singing/chanting it at Scotland games any more than I would sing in Welsh or French. 

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

One example of what is wrong with modern Scotland right there.

On 15/09/2017 at 8:41 PM, Texas Pete said:

When it's the folk that never miss a game that make up the support there are typically about 15,000 - 20,000 inside Hampden.

No amount of singing would create an atmosphere in that situation. I'd prefer to blame the people that didn't bother going. 

You're blaming people that aren't there for not singing???? :blink:

3 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

You're blaming people that aren't there for not singing???? :blink:

No, I would blame the lack of atmosphere on people who don't bother their arse to turn up and then complain about the atmosphere they are seeing on television. 

Edited by Texas Pete

10 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

If you think people not speaking Gaelic is a major problem in our country then you should watch the news more often. 

It's your sneering attitude to an integral part of our culture and heritage I'm getting at. 

You should educate yourself about the efforts made years ago to eradicate Gàidhlig completely. Kids were getting belted at school as late as the 1960s if they were being caught speaking it. Or how many of your local palcenames, even in the Lowlands, are derived from Gàidhlig.

It's one single little word I'm asking for people to learn and chant, I'm not asking for them to learn a ballad or waulking song.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

1 minute ago, dandydunn said:

How do you know these people exist? Seems a bit of a sweeping generalisation to me.....

I know these people exist because I've spoken to them and have also read their drivel on here. 

It's not a generalisation as I'm not saying everyone who doesn't go to games complains about the atmosphere or not everyone cherry picks the games they go to but you do get people who do. 

The point I was making is there is only 15,000-20,000 at Hampden, the atmosphere is going to be pish regardless of songs/chants and it's the fault of the people who can magically be bothered going to see us play England/Germany/Spain etc. but don't bother going to games against Malta or Gibraltar etc. for there being a small crowd and therefore a crap atmosphere. It's not the fault of all people who go to every game. 

8 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It's your sneering attitude to an integral part of our culture and heritage I'm getting at. 

You should educate yourself about the efforts made years ago to eradicate Gàidhlig completely. Kids were getting belted at school as late as the 1960s if they were being caught speaking it. Or how many of your local palcenames, even in the Lowlands, are derived from Gàidhlig.

It's one single little word I'm asking for people to learn and chant, I'm not asking for them to learn a ballad or waulking song.

I don't have a sneering attitude mate. I just have no interest in speaking Gaelic. You appear to be intolerant of others people's opinions on this. 

As I stated earlier, I have no problem with Gaelic or the people who speak it but that doesn't mean I'm going to sing in it at the football. 

If you and others want to chant Alba at Scotland games then fair play to you. 

I'll be chanting Scotland as I always have and always will. 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

I don't have a sneering attitude mate. I just have no interest in speaking Gaelic. You appear to be intolerant of others people's opinions on this. 

As I stated earlier, I have no problem with Gaelic or the people who speak it but that doesn't mean I'm going to sing in it at the football. 

If you and others want to chant Alba at Scotland games then fair play to you. 

I'll be chanting Scotland as I always have and always will. 

An Anti-Gàidhlig calling someone else intolerant :lol:

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

An Anti-Gàidhlig calling someone else intolerant :lol:

Are you hard of understanding or something?

I am no more anti-Gaelic than I am anti-German or anti-Latin. 

It's just not my language mate. I don't speak it and have no interest in speaking it. 

If you want to speak it then fire away. I have no problem with people speaking any language they like. I do have a problem with people trying to make me speak it and calling me a bigot because I won't. 

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Are you hard of understanding or something?

I am no more anti-Gaelic than I am anti-German or anti-Latin. 

It's just not my language mate. I don't speak it and have no interest in speaking it. 

If you want to speak it then fire away. I have no problem with people speaking any language they like. I do have a problem with people trying to make me speak it and calling me a bigot because I won't. 

:lol: :lol:

It's a cornerstone of your countries culture and heritage. You need to educate yourself a bit.

Just now, ErsatzThistle said:

:lol: :lol:

It's a cornerstone of your countries culture and heritage. You need to educate yourself a bit.

*country's

Maybe it's you that needs a better education?

I know all about Gaelic mate. Reading up on the history of it isn't going to make me want to speak it.

If you want to speak it then feel free. You'll need to learn it first though. ????

*country's

Maybe it's you that needs a better education?

I know all about Gaelic mate. Reading up on the history of it isn't going to make me want to speak it.

If you want to speak it then feel free. You'll need to learn it first though. ????

Oh great, the classic doesn't have an argument so resorts to pointing out sspeling and punktuation mishtakes.

Lol you "know all" about Gàidhlig, aye sure ye do pal.

As I said you don't need to be a fluent speaker to appreciate the glory of a language. A lot of people on the TAMB love their Gàidhlig music but don't speak the language. How is that hard for you to understand ?

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Oh great, the classic doesn't have an argument so resorts to pointing out sspeling and punktuation mishtakes.

Lol you "know all" about Gàidhlig, aye sure ye do pal.

As I said you don't need to be a fluent speaker to appreciate the glory of a language. A lot of people on the TAMB love their Gàidhlig music but don't speak the language. How is that hard for you to understand ?

I just don't appreciate being told to educate myself by someone that doesn't know when to use an apostrophe.

If you hadn't been such a self righteous, pompous know all, I wouldn't have mentioned it.

I understand that just fine mate. As I have said countless times, I don't have a problem with any language or with anyone that wants to speak it (or just listen to it for that matter). 

I just don't want to. How is that hard for you to understand?

I just don't appreciate being told to educate myself by someone that doesn't know when to use an apostrophe.

If you hadn't been such a self righteous, pompous know all, I wouldn't have mentioned it.

I understand that just fine mate. As I have said countless times, I don't have a problem with any language or with anyone that wants to speak it (or just listen to it for that matter). 

I just don't want to. How is that hard for you to understand?

:rollsmile: :rollsmile:

Now he's all wound up. :wave:

1 hour ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Goin' on up to the spirit in the sky,

Its where I'm gonna go when I die,

When I die and they lay me to rest,

I'm gonna go on the p*ss with Leigh Griffiths

(Repeat)

Man U fans started singing that when George Best died I think.