No more Ryanair for me - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

No more Ryanair for me

Nobody else here messed up by this?   Left us stranded abroad 44hr before flight home :mad:   More cancellations to come it seems for other folk.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15539753.Ryanair_to_cancel_up_to_50_flights_a_day_to_improve_punctuality/

Their expenses form seems only to cover a delay (no field on it to claim back flights from another airline), so I guess that will need to be covered by our travel insurance.   Filled in a compensation form instead.

Got back a day late on Easyjet.

Tell me about it.   At night, 44hr before departure, "there are two options available to you".   1. refund, 2. change flight for which they kindly waive their fee.

However next flight was two days later and more expensive than the refund.   Fuggin cheek of them.   The refund button has disappeared now, so don't have that yet.   Makes me appreciate BA's efforts to get us to the Sweden game when the scheduled flight had a mechanical.

Wondering again what the point of travel insurance is (while we are still in the EU) other than flying your deid body home.

Anyway, thanks to the TAMB for letting me let off some steam :lol:

Can't say I've ever had a problem with Ryanair. Flew with them dozens of times. Had the odd delay, but, any delay I've encountered has been minimal. None have been longer than half an hour or so

I have however had major problems with KLM and have been delayed all bar one time that I've flown BA

Ryanair has always served me well, cheap prices to a wide range of destinations 

Edited by DoonTheSlope

45 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Can't say I've ever had a problem with Ryanair. Flew with them dozens of times. Had the odd delay, but, any delay I've encountered has been minimal. None have been longer than half an hour or so

I have however had major problems with KLM and have been delayed all bar one time that I've flown BA

Ryanair has always served me well, cheap prices to a wide range of destinations 

I think Ryanair are fine if everything goes to plan, it's when there's a problem you encounter there unique brand of customer care.

I'm normally a Ryanair defender when folk start moaning about Ryanair. After all, they're a budget, no-frills airline and are pretty much the same as the rest of the airlines in that market.

However, cancelling hundreds and hundreds flight, sometimes just hours before the flight, is an absolute disgrace. They've given no thought to their customers or how they'll cope. An absolute disgrace. 

Just now, Parklife said:

I'm normally a Ryanair defender when folk start moaning about Ryanair. After all, they're a budget, no-frills airline and are pretty much the same as the rest of the airlines in that market.

However, cancelling hundreds and hundreds flight, sometimes just hours before the flight, is an absolute disgrace. They've given no thought to their customers or how they'll cope. An absolute disgrace. 

Exactly my thoughts.

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

Is there a point to the cancellations?

By that I mean, is it to make a point to somebody?

It seems pretty drastic action.

I think i read it was to enable them to reduce the number of backdated holidays their staff were owed. 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

I think i read it was to enable them to reduce the number of backdated holidays their staff were owed. 

Their reason is shi* if you ask me. It's likely to cost them 100M for this. Surely they could have found some solution to keep the flights running and save them some dough at the same time? 

1 minute ago, Mazziessc said:

Their reason is shi* if you ask me. It's likely to cost them 100M for this. Surely they could have found some solution to keep the flights running and save them some dough at the same time? 

Yeah, you'd have thought so. I read they'd lose over 100 pilots to other airlines in the past year, so i assume they don't have enough to cover all the flights they have + holidays. Poor planning. 

It's a shite state of affairs that they have only given the flgihts they'll be cancelling up until Thursday, the more notice they can give, the less of an inconvenience it causes folk affected. 

1 hour ago, wheres the pies said:

PR disaster for them sneaky hunts have only published up until Wednesday the flights that have been cancelled but have now been telt that they must publish all there cancelled flights for the next six weeks avoid 

Where did you see this? Due to fly to Edinburgh on the 4th of October with them

21 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Just found out our insurance co. will not cover this.   Am ragin' again.

mm first off they cancelled your flight - so as a minimum they owe you 250 euro per person

secondly on the eu compensation form I filled out ( attached it when I submitted to Aer Lingus) there is a separate  section on additional expenditure - I didn't have to use it as we got on the next flight but I would imagine its for additional costs

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/transport/files/themes/passengers/air/doc/complain_form/eu_complaint_form_en.pdf

This will certainly cost ryanair big time and can expect a mea culpa from them but TBF in  my experience if it is their fault they pay up pretty quick - within 2 weeks of submitting form

Your travel insurance not paying out is likely because they are expecting the airline to compensate

Edited by Newryrep

The problem is that Ryanair won't care about bad press etc. They know most people fly with then through necessity rather than choice; whether that be price, convenience or direct access etc. I've also never had any issue with them but I suppose this is the risk you take when booking with them. 

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Is there a point to the cancellations?

By that I mean, is it to make a point to somebody?

It seems pretty drastic action.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Yep.  Basically they're Resource Planning Team (my line of business) seem to have spectacularly ballsed this up.  I think they were changing their Holiday year from something like November - October to be January - December and they'd basically not kept an eye on the amount of leave still to be taken and allowed too many people to apply for (and have authorised) holidays at the same time.  I'd assume someone, somewhere is getting their jotters over this.  I have however stored this tale for the next time I get someone in here moaning about us being 1-2 people short on a weekend!!

1 hour ago, Exglasgowasc said:

Am with Parkie and squirrel. I just booked Ryanair flights to Valencia last night. £60 return from Glasgow. Never been and always fancied going. 

In the next six weeks?   Be aware that either or both of those flights could be cancelled.

It was only a matter of time before something like this happened IMO. RyanAir is all about the money even at the expense of customer satisfaction - if you book with them, you are implicitly buying into their aggressive pricing and business practices. It's part of the risk when booking with them and if there's any justice they'll lose an absolute fortune because of it. As someone else said, part of problem is they're apparently losing large number of pilots to rivals who are offering better packages. Trouble with pinching every penny is that you eventually start pissing off your own staff - seen it in many companies before.

Just back from 10 days in Fuertaventura and flew return with Jet2 - fantastic in comparison. Helpful pleasant staff and comparably better leg room.