Gutted for Gauld - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gutted for Gauld

andyD

Had gone on loan to Deportivo Aves this season.
Forced his way into the team with some decent cameo appearances..
Played his first 90 minutes last week, and scored the winner to give Aves their first win of the season.

All looking promising, like he's got the opportunity and ability to have a good season in the Portugese top flight.

Started the game at the weekend.. 8 minutes in he has to go off injured, out for 2 months.
Big shame. Hopefully he comes back quicker and can still play a bit part this year.
Aves were using him in more attacking roles that Sporting did, too. Wide left or in a similar role to what Armstrong does for us.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

Still waiting for his career to start really, it's been so frustrating. Was hoping he'd be our star player by now but yet another setback it's hard to see him anywhere near the squad for ages. A guy we were hoping would be a 30 cap player by now has never been further from the squad.

It's frustrating to see, hopefully he can recover quickly and get himself back in the side. I still believe he will become a Scotland regular but it will be a couple of years before that happens. I doubt very much he will become the star we were all hoping for tbh.

26 minutes ago, macy37 said:

I can't believe that folk really still think he has a chance. He's got Peterborough/Donny written all over him.

Not sure if your being sarcastic, he's still only 21 and has played several seasons in the Portuguese second tier as well as the Scottish top flight. I can see him playing at decent level but he probably won't be a big star in a top league which is what alot of ppl hoped for. To say he will be at playing at Peterborough or Doncaster is a little pessimistic. He might well end up at that level but he's still young enough to make it in the Portuguese top flight or a similar level.

Can't help but think of how good wales have got it at the mo and that lad Woodburn. What is he 17/18? Blooded very early for wales.Similar-ish type of player to Gauld and helps Wales to 6 points and on the cusp of the play offs. was Gauld anywhere near the squad at that age? Probably not yet he easily had the same amount of hype if not more than Woodburn.

Edited by JECK

10 hours ago, JECK said:

Can't help but think of how good wales have got it at the mo and that lad Woodburn. What is he 17/18? Blooded very early for wales.Similar-ish type of player to Gauld and helps Wales to 6 points and on the cusp of the play offs. was Gauld anywhere near the squad at that age? Probably not yet he easily had the same amount of hype if not more than Woodburn.

Woodburn was called up at 17 after playing about 3 games. Gauld was a regular at that age and still didn't get called up as we would never call up a 17 year old regadess of hype

12 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Nothing negative about stating that a player who's 21 and barely kicked a ball in over 2 years is likely to end up at some lower league English side.

Maybe Gauld just isn't as good as folk (we) thought?

To be fair there are plenty of 21 year olds in the EPL who don't play much but will end up with good careers and would probably be good enough for our national team.

Just now, er yir macaroon said:

To be fair there are plenty of 21 year olds in the EPL who don't play much but will end up with good careers and would probably be good enough for our national team.

To be fair, they are probably better than Gauld!

There will be folk on here still pinning their hopes on Jack Harper!

I think some underestimate how big Sporting are. Like not walking into their starting 11 is in some way a massive failure.

Their midfield is made up of an Argentine international and 2 portugese internationals, one with 40 caps, the other with a dozen. The 4th guy is a young portugese player who's scored 5 in 6 games, had been called up and will be capped this season. Gauld's route to a starting spot at Sporting is blocked by the likes of Carvalho who West Ham failed to buy for over £30m in the summer. That he's not that good right now is no shame. But seemingly he talked to Jorge Jesus, their head coach, in the summer and was told that they still saw his future at Sporting. So i've no worries about how good Gauld is.

What he does need is regular first team football tho, and he looked all set to get that this season with Aves. So for him to be knocked back 2 months, if just really frustrating. Just as he seemed to be getting going and showing what he could do as well.

49 minutes ago, andyD said:

I think some underestimate how big Sporting are. Like not walking into their starting 11 is in some way a massive failure.

Their midfield is made up of an Argentine international and 2 portugese internationals, one with 40 caps, the other with a dozen. The 4th guy is a young portugese player who's scored 5 in 6 games, had been called up and will be capped this season. Gauld's route to a starting spot at Sporting is blocked by the likes of Carvalho who West Ham failed to buy for over £30m in the summer. That he's not that good right now is no shame. But seemingly he talked to Jorge Jesus, their head coach, in the summer and was told that they still saw his future at Sporting. So i've no worries about how good Gauld is.

What he does need is regular first team football tho, and he looked all set to get that this season with Aves. So for him to be knocked back 2 months, if just really frustrating. Just as he seemed to be getting going and showing what he could do as well.

Seems fair. I'd hoped he'd have progressed a bit more by now but folk writing off a 21 year old who couldn't get in the Sporting team need to catch a grip of themselves. There's still plenty of time for him. 

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

File under Feruz, then G...

You're equating a 21 year old who was playing in the Portuguese top division and has gotten injured, to a guy who's made less than 30 senior appearances and seems like a waster? Seems sensible :rolleyes: 

48 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Seems fair. I'd hoped he'd have progressed a bit more by now but folk writing off a 21 year old who couldn't get in the Sporting team need to catch a grip of themselves. There's still plenty of time for him.

Aye, fingers crossed he can have a solid last 6 months of the season and at that point who knows he could be pushing for a squad place.

A good way to look at the quality of the Sporting side is maybe to think whch Scottish internationals would actually make it into their starting line up..

Gordon's not getting in ahead of Rui Patricio, much as I like Gordon.
Coates and Mathieu are better than Mulgrew and Berra.
Piccini would easily be a first choice right back.
Left back is our best shout, but they have Fabio Coentrao who has 60+ games for Real Madrid.
Carvalho's better than Brown and McArthur's passing is frankly embarrassing compared to Bruno Fernandes.
Gelson Martins, quick direct, skillful.. makes Forrest look like a clown.
Acuna is now a starter for Argentina and crosses a ball better than anyone we have.
Dost is a €12m 6'5" Dutch striker who scored 34 in 31 league games last season.
Doumbia is an Ivorian, African Cup of Nations winner that a couple of clubs have paid over €15m for.

So basically.. if Gauld was in the Sporting starting 11, then he'd have a very good case for starting for us.

38 minutes ago, andyD said:

Aye, fingers crossed he can have a solid last 6 months of the season and at that point who knows he could be pushing for a squad place.

A good way to look at the quality of the Sporting side is maybe to think whch Scottish internationals would actually make it into their starting line up..

Left back is our best shout, but they have Fabio Coentrao who has 60+ games for Real Madrid.
Carvalho's better than Brown and McArthur's passing is frankly embarrassing compared to Bruno Fernandes.
Acuna is now a starter for Argentina and crosses a ball better than anyone we have.
Doumbia is an Ivorian, African Cup of Nations winner that a couple of clubs have paid over €15m for.

So basically.. if Gauld was in the Sporting starting 11, then he'd have a very good case for starting for us.

Usual top info Andy.Appreciated.

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Nothing negative about stating that a player who's 21 and barely kicked a ball in over 2 years is likely to end up at some lower league English side.

Maybe Gauld just isn't as good as folk (we) thought?

How has he barely kicked a ball, he's been playing in the Portuguese second tier for the last two years and played in the Scottish top flight the year before. Would you say the same about someone like Jason Cummings or Stevie mallan who have played in the Scottish second tier for the last couple of seasons. It's silly to write off a 21 year old just because he has failed to get into the sporting first team. He will probably not be the star we were hoping for but he's still got plenty time on his side to make it at a decent level.

Edited by mccaughey85
Grammar

5 hours ago, andyD said:

Cheers mate you are about the only person on here who could get a way with finishing your posts with "FACT"

On 18/09/2017 at 10:26 PM, JECK said:

A large part of woodburn I think was to ward off the English.realistically he hadn't done much to merit a place in an international team but fair play to them he made an instant impact but I reckon it was mostly to tie him in.

As much as I want Gauld to succeed he has never merited a call up( possibly at united you could've made a minor case at the time when he did look brilliant)  . I suppose McFadden is an example of giving a young lad a chance on the back of hype with some evidence at club level and it working out, and mark burchill would be the opposite. I remember being convinced he was our next big thing, he wasn't! 

21 hours ago, Parklife said:

You're equating a 21 year old who was playing in the Portuguese top division and has gotten injured, to a guy who's made less than 30 senior appearances and seems like a waster? Seems sensible :rolleyes: 

Comparing him in the sense that both have failed to live up to the hype. Never mind, Robbie McCrorie has just been tipped to become one of the greatest centre halves in history by his manager.

19 hours ago, andyD said:

Good post. Agree with you about Gauld.

Thing is, Sporting have got top quality in all the positions where we struggle: right-back, centre-half, left-midfield, and striker.

If anyone was to get a game in one of those positions for a team as good as Sporting, I imagine they'd be called up to the next squad.

btw, it seems Gauld was playing at left-midfield for Aves before his injury.