Train Ettiquette - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I am currently sitting on a train on my hour long journey from work. I bought a four pack of overpriced beer before I got onboard.

As I pulled one out the guy opposite me seemed to look enviously at it, so I offered him one.

I find it a bit rude that he took it and put it in his rucksack.

Am I over touchy?

14 minutes ago, andymac said:

I am currently sitting on a train on my hour long journey from work. I bought a four pack of overpriced beer before I got onboard.

As I pulled one out the guy opposite me seemed to look enviously at it, so I offered him one.

Am I over touchy?

Very weird and rude.

:lol:

That is weird, you clearly intended for him to drink it.

I did once take a can off a guy as we pulled out of glasgow central, by carstairs I was regretting it, by Carlisle I was thinking of getting off the train as he wanted to pump me. I'm not saying because he was gay he wanted to pump me, I mean because he told me.

:shocked:

4 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

That is weird, you clearly intended for him to drink it.

I did once take a can off a guy as we pulled out of glasgow central, by carstairs I was regretting it, by Carlisle I was thinking of getting off the train as he wanted to pump me. I'm not saying because he was gay he wanted to pump me, I mean because he told me.

:shocked:

Did you? You stayed on the train.

1 hour ago, andymac said:

Am I over touchy?

Fvck me, if I knew you would go onto the Internet and moan about it, I would've never taken the can. 

I'll replace it tomorrow ya miserable bassa. 

Seriously, that's as weird as it is hilarious, I admire his cheek :rollsmile:

Am I over touchy?

Defo wierd behaviour - even if I'd a car at the other end and couldn't drink it, I'd turn it down rather than pocket the can. Did he ignore you for the rest of the journey too?  That'll teach you to be generous...I'd have drunk all four in front of the ####er and thoroughly enjoy every bit of it.

Am I over touchy?

Next time open the can before you hand it over.

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

Fvck me, if I knew you would go onto the Internet and moan about it, I would've never taken the can. 

I'll replace it tomorrow ya miserable bassa. 

Seriously, that's as weird as it is hilarious, I admire his cheek :rollsmile:

You are an Aberdonian, You would have had all 4 cans and charged 5p for the carrier bad. The bit in bold proves my point.

1 hour ago, jenblueeyes said:

Defo wierd behaviour - even if I'd a car at the other end and couldn't drink it, I'd turn it down rather than pocket the can. Did he ignore you for the rest of the journey too?  That'll teach you to be generous...I'd have drunk all four in front of the ####er and thoroughly enjoy every bit of it.

Only had 45 minutes.

What if he was skint and saw this as a luxury that he could enjoy later and share with someone ?

What if he was a teetotaller but was going to visit someone in need that would really appreciate it ?

Even then thats pushing the boundaries of believable

Most likely is that he is just a miserable get that takes everything while never giving anything to others

I thought this was start of a joke. I'm more surprised you opened a can of beer on the train on way home. Thinking of it now I'm not sure why I'm surprised I just don't think I've ever seen anyone open alcohol on train commute,I very very rarely travel by train so this may be fairly common and just passed me by.

Or it could be that you're just a big jakie and the poor rucksack wearing schoolboy was just too scared to say no. 

7 hours ago, G-Man said:

I thought this was start of a joke. I'm more surprised you opened a can of beer on the train on way home. Thinking of it now I'm not sure why I'm surprised I just don't think I've ever seen anyone open alcohol on train commute,I very very rarely travel by train so this may be fairly common and just passed me by.

Or it could be that you're just a big jakie and the poor rucksack wearing schoolboy was just too scared to say no. 

The commute is anything between 55 minutes and 1.5 hours. I wouldn't be necking one on the 17.00 train but the 21.00 after 13 hours at work and a real chance of not making my local by closing time is a different matter.

6 hours ago, G-Man said:

I'll be honest Andy the beer is piling the weight onto you. 

Oi! I thought there was a rule about not posting personal pictures of other people.

7 hours ago, G-Man said:

I drink on  my evening commute at 2-3 nights per week. I would say it isn't prevalent 10-15 % people. Lots of riggers at Dyce usually. 

The worst train for drinking is the Friday  0930 arrival in Aberdeen.  hen, stag, golf outing a plenty 

I've never seen someone offered not take a beer and not join in. 

15 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

What if he was skint and saw this as a luxury that he could enjoy later and share with someone ?

What if he was a teetotaller but was going to visit someone in need that would really appreciate it ?

What wonderful "what if" scenarios. A charitable squirrel like person sharing the can with another versus a recovering alcoholic bowling a friend over with 1 can of beer. One whole can.