Hurricane Season - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hurricane Season

The one that whacked Florida recently was said to be the worst ever to smack the parts of Florida it did. I fly there mid October to meet my mate and his family flying in from Scotland. I hope to fvck it's at least dry weather when I'm there. 

24 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Obviously every year has several severe storms that hit the Caribbean, but is this years not significantly worse than normal?

Scotlands pishy summer and dull winter doesnt look too bad in comparison.

I mentioned that this was only the start of the hurricane season at work last week as we heard someone was there on a cruise - I'm assuming it's not as expensive at this time of year

If this is just the start whats it going to be like at the peak !

Pretty unprecedented for so many intense storms to hit the Caribbean in quick succession.

I read that it's down to a higher than normal ocean surface temperature. Climate change in action?

Certainly if the islands had been battered like that regularly in the past you'd imagine they'd be much less inhabited...

In 2004 Mrs Donny got a job in the Bahamas. She went out in late August and I wasn't going to be able to join her for a few months. The week she landed they got hit by hurricane Frances (105mph on Grand Bahama) and hurricane Jeanne hit soon after with 120mph winds having killed over 3,000 in Haiti days before (in memory it felt like a few days after Frances, but looking it up was actually over two weeks later, though communication had been out for most of that time). I saw the results in October - pretty devastating, but folk just get on with it.

It's rare for the same islands to get successive direct hits, but it happens.

5 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I mentioned that this was only the start of the hurricane season at work last week as we heard someone was there on a cruise - I'm assuming it's not as expensive at this time of year

If this is just the start whats it going to be like at the peak !

This is the peak of the season. It runs from June to November, although the first storms were starting around April time this year. 

3 hours ago, Lion Rampant said:

This is the peak of the season. It runs from June to November, although the first storms were starting around April time this year. 

Must have been the interviewer on Radio 4 morning show giving me that false info 

Thankfully nobody i had the same conversation with was any the wiser and like me thought i had made a salient point ...

To have three of the most intense storms on record in the same season is unprecedented. 

The combination of no El Nino (not a climate change effect) and higher sea surface temperatures (at least in part a climate change effect) are the two main factors. 

Just now, jailender said:

I thought it was something to do with higher water temperatures in the Pacific off the coast of S America.

Yep. There's a variable multi year cycle for sea surface temperature in the southern Pacific, which has effects on global weather systems. What causes the variability and intensity is poorly understood, as are some of the effects on weather in places such as Europe. One thing that is well understood is that an El Niño increases the vertical shear in the atmosphere over the Atlantic, which makes it more difficult for tropical storms and hurricanes to form.