Parking Etiquette - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Parking Etiquette

Dear TAMB,

So, I've relatively recently passed my driving test and got myself a car.  I live in a really narrow street where, if cars were parked on the road on each side, cars wouldn't be able to drive down.  I've observed the etiquette for a while and it seems to be that cars on the odd side (my side) bump up on the pavement and cars on the even side park on the road.  Last night I got home from work and the space directly in front of my house was taken so I pulled up on the road behind another car already parked on the opposite side.  Other than the car in "my space" there was nothing on the other side of the road so all was good.

I went out to a gig and when I got a taxi home he couldn't get down the street as another car had parked on the road directly opposite mine.  Forgot all about it this morning till I heard someone sounding their horn as they struggled to get by between both cars.  At this point the space in front of mine was free so I went to move mine however spotted a guy, and I think I know what house he's in, who seemed to be taking a photo of my car before he drove off.  I then found a note on my windscreen telling me to have some courtesy for other people and park on the kerb next time!

So, what do I do?  Do I go and chap on the door of the guy who I think left the note and explain that I was parked correctly and it was the second car that broke protocol?  Do I go to the door where I think the second car lives and have a word with them?  Do I just move the note from my car to the other one or do I just ignore the whole debacle?!

I'd ignore it. If the car on the opposite side arrived after you then he's in the wrong as he's the one who blocked the road. 

Folk are right weirdos about parking at their house. The folk that think they own the road in front of their property make me laugh. 

Just now, Parklife said:

I'd ignore it. If the car on the opposite side arrived after you then he's in the wrong as he's the one who blocked the road. 

Folk are right weirdos about parking at their house. The folk that think they own the road in front of their property make me laugh. 

Agreed.  I like to park in front of my house if I can, partly so that I'm not blocking anyone from parking in front of theirs, but if I can't it's no big deal.  There's also a guy in the street with a really scabby works van that looks like it's dragged through a crusher and had a McDonalds Packaging factory explode inside it so if I can stop that parking in front of my living room window it's an added bonus!!

Ignore it, someone clearly thinks they rule the street, these types of people are ridiculous. 

We have a car and my work van to park at nights, if any of them can't get outside the door, that's just tough. 

I have a neighbour that seems to think we are taking the piss when we park both at the front door and when we move one or the other in the evening, believe it or not, they will get out of their house and move their car, sometimes 10 feet, sometimes 100 feet or more, so they can be directly at their door :lol:

39 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Ignore it, someone clearly thinks they rule the street, these types of people are ridiculous. 

We have a car and my work van to park at nights, if any of them can't get outside the door, that's just tough. 

I have a neighbour that seems to think we are taking the piss when we park both at the front door and when we move one or the other in the evening, believe it or not, they will get out of their house and move their car, sometimes 10 feet, sometimes 100 feet or more, so they can be directly at their door :lol:

I don't think the guy (or girls) issue is with where I was parked rather than how I was parked (on the road as opposed to bumped up on the pavement).  What I find bizarre is that they've obviously came home to find 2 cars parked on the road causing an obstruction and managed to determine that one was more at fault than the other despite having no idea which one was there first!  If you're going to be arsey and leave a note then it has to be on both cars and not just one.

Can't think what they are going to do with the photo.  I think the note thing is weird as its not like you had been parking on the pavement for weeks.  

These people must walk about with a pen and post it looking for stuff to moan about.

My wife has twice had someone have a word with her about parking in child spaces without children.  When the kids were in the car !

As a new car driver you will soon notice the slightest things people get wound up about.

17 minutes ago, McFootSoldier said:

Can't think what they are going to do with the photo.  I think the note thing is weird as its not like you had been parking on the pavement for weeks.  

These people must walk about with a pen and post it looking for stuff to moan about.

My wife has twice had someone have a word with her about parking in child spaces without children.  When the kids were in the car !

As a new car driver you will soon notice the slightest things people get wound up about.

Parent and child spaces are my wind up thing. I've been told it's because they need more space to get pram or car seat out and if that's why then put them furthest away from shop in a car park not beside disabled spaces. Then there's the parents with kids all of school age using them. Make the lazy wee sheites walk. Or the dads who stay in the car with the kids while mum goes into the shop. Walk ya lazy parents. 

It's good to get things off your chest and not let them fester. 

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

So, what do I do?  Do I go and chap on the door of the guy who I think left the note and explain that I was parked correctly and it was the second car that broke protocol?  Do I go to the door where I think the second car lives and have a word with them?  Do I just move the note from my car to the other one or do I just ignore the whole debacle?!

Chap on their doors and offer them a tin of overpriced beer.

And, the note on your car was probably put there by the other person who double parked to divert attention away from themselves. You should always keep a pre-written note in your glove box for when you need it, in these situations. As you gain more experience you will learn all of these rules of the road.

We have this problem in my grans street. Van, 4x4 and trailer all "have" to be parked outside the home. So much so that they'll try and chase folk away with passive aggressive tactics. Like parking over folks driveways if they park in what they perceive is their space. Telling nurses coming to folk's house(gran's next door neighbour unfortunately has cancer and gets carer in 4-5 times a day) "they can't park there, my mum is disabled and needs the space" even though the mum was parked up and in house. I was coming out my grans house when it happened and had to pull the guy up about it. Pointing out his lies and warning him not to speak to anyone coming into my grans house about where they park.

I'd just bring it out in the open.

18 minutes ago, phart said:

We have this problem in my grans street. Van, 4x4 and trailer all "have" to be parked outside the home. So much so that they'll try and chase folk away with passive aggressive tactics. Like parking over folks driveways if they park in what they perceive is their space. Telling nurses coming to folk's house(gran's next door neighbour unfortunately has cancer and gets carer in 4-5 times a day) "they can't park there, my mum is disabled and needs the space" even though the mum was parked up and in house. I was coming out my grans house when it happened and had to pull the guy up about it. Pointing out his lies and warning him not to speak to anyone coming into my grans house about where they park.

I'd just bring it out in the open.

You should break open a can of your MMA whoopass on them.

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Jobby through the letter box. That's what is called for here.

It doesn't really matter if you get the wrong letterbox, as you are only doing it to make yourself fell better by taking some control over the situation.

Its far less messy for the perpetrator to simply place it on the doorstep wrapped in a newspaper, set it on fire and loudly chap the door several times

Please dont make me ask.....does he have a private number plate ??

Ignore it, someone left a note on my car when it was parked in a car park , the note said ' please park with courtesy and consideration for other drivers' .

I was parked within the 2 lines , albeit I was a little closer to the left than the right. Who the fook takes time out their day to write these notes. Who even has a pen and bit of  paper handy to write them?

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I was parked within the 2 lines , albeit I was a little closer to the left than the right. Who the fook takes time out their day to write these notes. Who even has a pen and bit of  paper handy to write them?

Must be about 25 years ago now but someone somewhere must have made a batch up or either got them from Tam Sheppards

It was a bit of paper with Mickey Mouse on it giving the finger and the words to the effect "Thanks for parking so close. Next time leave a fvcking can opener "

edit

found it

Image result for thanks for parking so close next time leave a can opener

Edited by Ally Bongo

Just now, phart said:

Aye then get exhausted after 3 punches and get my khunt kicked :D Sounds a great time.

For years I panicked about ever getting wide with you until now. :lol:

For the record, I’m past it also. But I had this image of you being a scrapping cvnt with that MMA shite. 

9 minutes ago, Ormond said:

For years I panicked about ever getting wide with you until now. :lol:

For the record, I’m past it also. But I had this image of you being a scrapping cvnt with that MMA shite. 

I watch loads of it, that doesn't really mean much in a real fight mind you :lol:

9 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Must be about 25 years ago now but someone somewhere must have made a batch up or either got them from Tam Sheppards

It was a bit of paper with Mickey Mouse on it giving the finger and the words to the effect "Thanks for parking so close. Next time leave a fvcking can opener "

edit

found it

Image result for thanks for parking so close next time leave a can opener

Now THAT  I would have applauded ?

On 20/09/2017 at 0:39 PM, G-Man said:

Parent and child spaces are my wind up thing. I've been told it's because they need more space to get pram or car seat out and if that's why then put them furthest away from shop in a car park not beside disabled spaces. Then there's the parents with kids all of school age using them. Make the lazy wee sheites walk. Or the dads who stay in the car with the kids while mum goes into the shop. Walk ya lazy parents. 

It's good to get things off your chest and not let them fester. 

Parent and child spaces are fair game for everyone, too many fat kids nowadays, make them walk. 

21 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Parent and child spaces are fair game for everyone, too many fat kids nowadays, make them walk. 

I think it's more to do with the extra space required to get them in and out of car seats etc.

The parking at Gyms/sports centre is generally some of the worst and inconsiderate you'll see, which I always find ironic. I'll do 10k on the treadmill, but I'll not be walking 50 feet from my car to the front door...

It's generally pretty heartwarming looking at disabled parking spaces, the cars let you see that disability isn't holding many of these people back.

:lol:

I presume Audi Q5s are the reliant robins of our time?

:P