Crutches Etiquette - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Crutches Etiquette

Good Afternoon fellow TAMBers

I have found myself on crutches due to an ongoing ankle problem. Last week while using public transport I was standing at the wheelchair access area(which was empty I must add, though I would have used a priority seat if needs be) as I was only going 4or5 stops and sitting down in the priority seats would have been more hassle than it's worth.

As I'm standing there a young lady had a suitcase in the hold area who was clearly struggling, me being the big easy-oazy help anyone type of person I helped her get it down, as thankful as she was I not only almost went over tit but also felt pain in my ankle just from my standing position trying to lift the case down

This morning I was off down to the doctors and again I stood in the empty wheelchair access area and an old woman was getting off and dropped a bag of messages which a few tins fell out and rolled over the place, as she bent down to pick them up she almost fell herself and a couple of other passengers jamp up and helped her retrieve her messages of which two tins fell right at my feet. I didn't even flinch, made no effort to help said lady nor did I stop her messages from rolling further with my feet

The said lady gave me the look of thunder. After this I felt as though everyone else on the bus was judging me and calling me all the bastards as I made no effort to help the situation. As I say I would always help anyone but after almost falling last week on the bus I thought why should I jeopardise my rehabilitation purely for a few tins of soup

Im looking to gauge opinion from here as to whether this was bad patter on my behalf or as it's clear to see I was incaple was I in the right 

Youre feedback is appreciated 

You should be ashamed of yourself, were you supplied crutches by the NHS? 

If so, they technically belong to us and I would then assume we are all paying for your recuperation, old people like this survived wars to make sure people like yourself have a life to live and a language to speak. 

Disgusted by this........

What kind of soup did she have? You could've pocketed one to heat up later whilst watching countdown :)