Takeaway tipping etiquette - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Takeaway tipping etiquette

I very rarely get takeaways but when I do I order online, pay online and get them delivered.  Back in the day when I would hand over cash to the bloke dropping the food off, I would add a little as a tip. Now I'm not handing over any cash, I don't - am I being tight? Nobody has made a fuss or stood there looking like they were expecting something but I was wondering what other folk do? Most companies add a delivery charge to the order anyway though I appreciate the person delivering it won't be able to pocket that.

28 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

£10 minimum.

:lol: Aye right - the whole takeaway cost me £17 for a pizza and a dessert. No way I'm adding £10 to the cost for a 3 minute drive from the takeaway.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

£17 for a pizza? :yikes3: You've obviously got money to burn. Give the guy a tip ya miser.

You have ordered:
1x Small 9.5" Ranch BBQ
   + Classic Crust
1x Lotta-chocca Pizza

Price: £17.98 (Including VAT)
For full ingredients, nutritional and allergen information see here.

Courtesy of Domino's - that'll be why I only order a takeaway once a year!

56 minutes ago, andymac said:

Is it not £19.99 for two from Dominos? Jen might have company.

See my post above...there isn't a man in the world that I would share a small pizza with! Even the dog only got a couple bits of meat off the pizza.

I'm exactly the same with Uber.  I always tip taxi drivers when I'm paying in cash, usually by rounding up to the next pound (£6.40 becomes £8 etc).  Now that I mostly get Ubers and don't hand over any cash it feels a bit patronising saying to the guy "There's £1.50/£2 etc for you" so I tend not to.  Thankfully Uber have now introduced a facility where you can tip through your account retrospectively so that's what I tend to do.

I got picked up by car from Berlin Airport last week (guy with a board and your name) and tipped him 50 Euro by mistake. I thought it was a 10. The boy said it was too much and my traveling companion pointed out the trip had already been paid for... Still thinking it was 10 i magnanimously said "it's no bother"  and strolled away. Turned out i dont know my 10 from 50 in Euros.

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I'm exactly the same with Uber.  I always tip taxi drivers when I'm paying in cash, usually by rounding up to the next pound (£6.40 becomes £8 etc).  Now that I mostly get Ubers and don't hand over any cash it feels a bit patronising saying to the guy "There's £1.50/£2 etc for you" so I tend not to.  Thankfully Uber have now introduced a facility where you can tip through your account retrospectively so that's what I tend to do.

I use Uber constantly. For a ten dollar trip I usually give them 2. Yes, you can tip online but then they get taxed on that. 

This is why I'll miss the Board. Real world life solutions.

Think it mostly depends on what the local culture is. A tip should be an added bonus for good service or going above and beyond, not expected as part of due course - thinking mainly in the US where they are used to top up wages so places can always pay their staff the bare minimum. 

With digital tipping though, where does the money actually go? At least cash can be an undeclared straight in the pocket effort.