Expat Scots - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How has the referendum result made you feel?

More or less willing to go back?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/sep/19/devastated-or-pleased-scottish-expats-react-to-vote-against-independence

Melbourne crew got in the Australian guardian. I'm the first quote.

Decent article although nobody cheered when a no vote was announced, not sure how that was confused because we made our feelings well known.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How has the referendum result made you feel?

More or less willing to go back?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/sep/19/devastated-or-pleased-scottish-expats-react-to-vote-against-independence

Melbourne crew got in the Australian guardian. I'm the first quote.

Decent article although nobody cheered when a no vote was announced, not sure how that was confused because we made our feelings well known.

its not written well, but it meant the applause came from the TV screens

I know someone who voted Yes but was relieved to was No. Can't be arsed asking them to explain it to be honest!

I had that explained to me.

Basically wouldn't be able to look themselves in the mirror had they voted No, but on a selfish level, they're quite comfortable so happy enough the boat hasn't been rocked.

I'm ashamed that so many in Scotland were taken in by the lies and scare stories, and didn't have the courage to look beyond the 'oh, I might be 10p worse off' nonsense.

Every No voter should take time to live outside Scotland (or the UK) and get away from the propaganda. They should talk to people from smaller or equally small countries and find out how in God's name their countries manage to exist....they should open their minds and see the bigger picture. There's a world out there away from what the BBC, Westminster and the papers tell you.

Aside from that, I'm disgusted with the state propaganda broadcasted by the media. Britain is such a f*cked up country in so many ways...and will become more f*cked up as it pursues the Americam model of the rich getting richer and the poor being abandoned....and I'm glad I'm out of it.

I had that explained to me.

Basically wouldn't be able to look themselves in the mirror had they voted No, but on a selfish level, they're quite comfortable so happy enough the boat hasn't been rocked.

I know quite a few folk in that camp, possibly even myself. Seriouly gutted at the result and that we failed to take the opportunity, but the silver lining is possibly greater job security and less short term upheaval.

I'm ashamed that so many in Scotland were taken in by the lies and scare stories, and didn't have the courage to look beyond the 'oh, I might be 10p worse off' nonsense.

Every No voter should take time to live outside Scotland (or the UK) and get away from the propaganda. They should talk to people from smaller or equally small countries and find out how in God's name their countries manage to exist....they should open their minds and see the bigger picture. There's a world out there away from what the BBC, Westminster and the papers tell you.

You are so full of shit its unbelievable.

Thanks for your contribution.

Why don't you now go and f*ck off ?

You epitomise everything bad here, and best place for you is Holland.

Edited by BlueGaz

It's not my fault you feel a wee bit ashamed of yourself.

Not ashamed one little bit. I started to think I had made a mistake, but rest assured, after all the antics the last few days I am 100% happy in my decision.

Live in Sydney and would have definitely would have brought the family back for 1st Independence day. Would like to move back to Independent Scotland one day when the kids have flown the nest.

Rossy is right. Living away from UK opens your eye's up to the new coverage. Guys in my office couldn't beleive we'd voted no. It didn't compute to them. Not utopia here, but a confidant nation that long ago said goodbye to Westminster

The Irish and Aussies I work with had to ask why we would vote no. Although a few of them knew about the media bias etc.

I was pretty homesick a few months back, well I thought I was but work was just shite haha.

Sounds pretty wanky but I feel a bit guilty living out here at times, almost worse now it's a no vote. Felt really involved before I left and even out here debating online etc. Not sure what I'll do now. Glad so many are still wanting to keep going and I've joined the SNP and will register to an overseas vote as well.