Expat Scots - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Taking this from the opposite viewpoint, I live in Scotland and the No vote has probably increased the likelihood that once my youngest Daughter has finished school, and always assuming that I can persuade Mrs Meister, then I shall probably move from Scotland.

I'm just glad that my Grandmother had the foresight to give birth to my Mother in Kingstown, St. Vincent.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not ashamed one little bit. I started to think I had made a mistake, but rest assured, after all the antics the last few days I am 100% happy in my decision.

Was it the sashbash on Friday that convinced you that you'd done the right thing?

I had that explained to me.

Basically wouldn't be able to look themselves in the mirror had they voted No, but on a selfish level, they're quite comfortable so happy enough the boat hasn't been rocked.

I agree. On reflection, think I might be that guy!

I returned to Scotland last year after 20 years or so abroad.

It's been fantastic being back and we don't plan to move again (at least as far as I can see). We are in Glasgow and the buzz from the Commonwealth games followed by the excitement in the run up to the referndum has made this summer truly memorable.

It's a shame the positive YES campaign only managed to get through to the majority of people in a few places (including of course Glasgow) - can't help but feel the trouble that broke out here on the Friday night was the bigoted manifestation of a lot of the negative aspects of the No campaign. The fact that people still have these views and these views pretty much rule their average day is pretty much the only thing I dislike about being back here.

It's rather ironic that quite a few "professional" expats I have met share these bigoted views or at least have them boiling beneath the surface yet these are the ones who say they will never live in Scotland again - one of the few places that still seemingly allows bigotry to manifest amongst like minded soles.

The Irish and Aussies I work with had to ask why we would vote no.

My inlaws (aussies) couldnt believe it either.

Then again, Aussies bottled their vote to become a republic (which had no risk at all) so they cant really criticise anyone.

Edited by big_matt

Every single one of European pals simply cannot believe it.

Then of course the jokes follow "Scotland the Brave - ho ho ho".

Yeah, had a few emails before the vote from pals in Scando, Balkans, Sweden and Eire.

I've got the cringe alright now, the complete opposite to what the Unionists had before the vote. I might even just say next time I'm from Britain to save the embarrasment of saying Scotland first and them asking about the ref.

Yeah, had a few emails before the vote from pals in Scando, Balkans, Sweden and Eire.

I've got the cringe alright now, the complete opposite to what the Unionists had before the vote. I might even just say next time I'm from Britain to save the embarrasment of saying Scotland first and them asking about the ref.

Aye, know what you mean. I've currently got a 'Teach yirsel an Irish Accent' book oot.

Ma brother saw this on the telly over in Germany the other night. It's the Scottish-ish pub he goes to in Berlin (been a couple of times myself, they do a decent Monday night quiz in English).

Anyway it looks like they were wanting a YES vote, although that was probably the case amongst the Scottish "hipster" demographic too...

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/beitrag/video/2242792/Nacht-der-Entscheidung#/beitrag/video/2242792/Nacht-der-Entscheidung

Ma brother saw this on the telly over in Germany the other night. It's the Scottish-ish pub he goes to in Berlin (been a couple of times myself, they do a decent Monday night quiz in English).

Anyway it looks like they were wanting a YES vote, although that was probably the case amongst the Scottish "hipster" demographic too...

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/beitrag/video/2242792/Nacht-der-Entscheidung#/beitrag/video/2242792/Nacht-der-Entscheidung

That was excellent. Reporter guy's a good laugh.

I won't be back except to visit. Nothing for me in my line of work in Scotland.

Massive opportunity lost when all the conditions were right for change.

I know a lot of Oil guys out here in Asia who were all No. Working class guys from the East/North East. Seems their hamefolk mirrored their sentiments.

Sad.

I was keeping Scotland on my list of 'next moves' but after that result, no chance. I really thought society there had turned a corner. It's not the empty headed bigots that I hate about Scotland. I grew up amongst those and I'm used to it. They don't realise that they're ridiculously misguided in their beliefs. In a way they're even victims. Election fodder for the labour party. No, the part of Scottish society I don't like is the comfortable middle classes. The rugger buggers. The private schoolers. That part of society is educated and savvy enough to know exactly what they were voting for. Even to see through the lies. But they still voted no to avoid rocking their comfortable little boats and knowingly shafted the poor. I don't want to be surrounded by people like that.

I won't be back except to visit. Nothing for me in my line of work in Scotland.

Massive opportunity lost when all the conditions were right for change.

I know a lot of Oil guys out here in Asia who were all No. Working class guys from the East/North East. Seems their hamefolk mirrored their sentiments.

Sad.

Quite a few of the Shell guys out here are all of the 'what's in it for me' variety, and were no voters.

I think it goes with oil industry....bigger picture disnae matter, and the thought of 'creating a better society' means absolutely no shit to them.

Apart from the oil people, ever other Scot I know out here is for independence.