Question Time Tonight - Page 78 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

Ashdown is out of contact with reality,  trying to justify Obama's comments for the Uk to stay in Europe by bringing up the American loss of life in 2 world wars and their intervention in the cold war was unbelievable.

According to my history books the British lost a lot of lives in the 2 world wars, so I think it is fair to say we are allowed to have a say on our future in Europe.

Just to put some reality on the figures of military personal lost in world war one -

British - 900,000  -  Usa 55,000  - So Ashdowns figures of 1;5 million American lives is way off. 

52 minutes ago, wellyman said:

Ashdown is out of contact with reality,  trying to justify Obama's comments for the Uk to stay in Europe by bringing up the American loss of life in 2 world wars and their intervention in the cold war was unbelievable.

According to my history books the British lost a lot of lives in the 2 world wars, so I think it is fair to say we are allowed to have a say on our future in Europe.

Just to put some reality on the figures of military personal lost in world war one -

British - 900,000  -  Usa 55,000  - So Ashdowns figures of 1;5 million American lives is way off. 

Yes Ashdown's claim was untrue but it is worth noting too that a fair amount of those "British" dead were Irish or from Britain's African or Caribbean colonies. 

Speak for yourself but I'm not British.

38 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Yes Ashdown's claim was untrue but it is worth noting too that a fair amount of those "British" dead were Irish or from Britain's African or Caribbean colonies. 

Speak for yourself but I'm not British.

Nothing to do if you or I class ourselves as British,  the vote for in or out of Europe is cast as a British vote.

I should have stated that it was British & commonwealth  [empire]  troops not just British, at the time of WW1 Ireland was part of that empire.

Ireland lost 49,000 troops in WW1,  Scotland lost 140,000 thats more per head of population than any other commonwealth country.

These figures in the same way Ashdown talked of the American dead has nothing to do with a YES  or NO vote for Europe today. 

12 minutes ago, 86glebestreet said:

Are you European 

Why are you so upset at me saying I'm not British ?

It's name, flag, government, royal family, armed forces, institutions, "commonly held traditions & values" all mean absolutely nothing to me.

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It's name, flag, government, royal family, armed forces, institutions, "commonly held traditions & values" all mean absolutely nothing to me.

:ok::ok::ok:

In fact it is Foreign to me..

I do class myself as European. 

Edited by stocky

On 22/04/2016 at 7:38 AM, wellyman said:

10 million soviet military died in ww2 apparently. Should Russia have a say in UK's EU decision?

(+ 10 million civilian, mostly Ukrainian... should Ukraine have a say?)

http://warchronicle.com/numbers/WWII/deaths.htm

Only saw the last 15 minutes, but Salmond was outstanding, as was the Labour chap. Where do they get some of the Brexiters though? That Paul Marshall was an absolute rocket. Seemingly attacked immigrants early on and topped it off with an attack on Scots. Salmond took him apart a couple of times.

14 minutes ago, Stapes said:

Only saw the last 15 minutes, but Salmond was outstanding, as was the Labour chap. Where do they get some of the Brexiters though? That Paul Marshall was an absolute rocket. Seemingly attacked immigrants early on and topped it off with an attack on Scots. Salmond took him apart a couple of times.

I must admit, Andy Burnham did very well last night and fair play to him. 

Marshall and the annoying shouty woman from the right wing think tank were on a different planet.

Better audience than usual but it still had a couple of nasty "send the buggers back" types when immigration and the EU was brought up.

Said it a hundred times before and I'll say it again, Dimbleby has to go, he cannot control the debate, stops the interesting arguments, interrupts with snarky points too often. Should be forcibly retired. The format also needs to go back to being four panellists, five is too many to fit in.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

8 minutes ago, Flora MaDonald said:

Did I hear that correctly from that idiot Marshall - everyone in Africa would have mobile phones and phoning their pals to come to Europe? 

You did indeed.

An unbelievable statement worthy of a BNP or NF candidate. 

2 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

WTF?

Who is he and what was that said in regards to?

Hedge fund manager and runs a number of school academies in England, claims to be a Lib Dem but I thought he has from the extreme right wing of the Tory Party, father of some guy in Mumford and Sons. 

Basically after a previous question about anti semitism, where he was very touchy about any criticism of anything Isreal/Judiasm.

Them went on to make reference about loads of Africans in the UK using mobile phones to phone their pals in Africa to come over to the UK, those pesky Dark skinned types shouldn't be allowed mobile don't you know. 

Black guy in audience who came over from Africa totally owned him, as did Salmond when he said that he wanted Scotland out of the U.K and that Scotland are subsidy junkies. 

Toatal khunt of a man as you would expect. 

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

You did indeed.

An unbelievable statement worthy of a BNP or NF candidate. 

I think most BNP or NF candidates would've been too savvy to come out with something so overtly racist. Even these khunts have some standards.

It was one of those moments on TV when you really wondered whether or not to actually believe your ears. The silence in the studio when the comment sank in was palpable and the shock was almost tangible - even with some (albeit less than usual) clearly racist people in the audience.

A staggering thing to say on national TV and I hope his hedge funds suffer very badly as a result - it's the only language pricks like that understand.

Salmond and Burnham outstanding!!? Burnham walked straight into the trap laid by the Tories: let's call them anti-semite as we can't get them on policies. Listen: there IS no anti semitism in Labour, but attacking the Zionist Israeli government for their near Palestinian genocide is NOT anti semitic. No one is attacking the Jews per se so to call call Corbyn and his allies racist is just childish. It's a smear campaign by the Blairites to undermine Momentum and Corbyn.

11 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Is Mundell a remain? Or is it whoever that Webb person is?

Judging by yesterday's Scottish Questions, which in common with just about everything in the House of Commons at the moment was in reality EU Referendum Questions he's firmly in the remain camp.

TBF, I'm assuming Merryn Somerset Webb is a Leave.

I really like Jim but everytime he is on TV i have a severe dread that he is a ticking time bomb that might do great damage to the cause for Independence at some juncture

Hopefully Merryn Somerset Webb spouts the same kind of economic shit she did before the referendum and can attract Jim's ire more than anyone else