Question Time Tonight - Page 81 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think he said anything that folk don't already know. He didn't say it quite like scotlad reported it. It was more along the lines of a lot of folk in the SNP are republicans but they just went along with the party line during the referendum campaign. Nothing new there.

Honestly, that is not what I heard. Would be interesting to hear a replay.

13 minutes ago, andymac said:

Well, I'm sure my version won't be word for word correct, but once you watch the replay I'm fairly sure my version is closer than scotlad's twitter pals version.

i'm just going from memory though, and we often hear and remember things differently to other folk. I would be quite happy for the SNP to  come out as a republican party. Hopefully this is the start of that.

I wasnt overimpressed with Humza. Kezia did come over well though. 

Anyone else thinkshe'd  look better with longer hair ? hardly politically relevant but just a side thought of mine. 

As for the monarchy,im certainly happy to see a republic in the future but equally im not too bothered about it. It was never an issue in the referendum. It should be pointed out though that the queen is a direct descendent of Robert the Bruce. ...and is of course  half Scottish (and given the german blood on the other side of her family, she is actually more Scottish than English ! )

The Unionist Hootsmon tried their best to make an issue of it

http://www.scotsman.com/news/humza-yousaf-most-people-in-snp-want-to-get-rid-of-monarchy-1-4127741

In my opinion there is absolutely nothing you can say derogatory against anyone who is a republican that you can back up morally.

You'll probably find that almost all monarchists are deists and they have a compelling desire to be servile

1 hour ago, buckielugger said:

Anyone else thinkshe'd  look better with longer hair ? hardly politically relevant but just a side thought of mine. 

As for the monarchy,im certainly happy to see a republic in the future but equally im not too bothered about it. It was never an issue in the referendum. It should be pointed out though that the queen is a direct descendent of Robert the Bruce. ...and is of course  half Scottish (and given the german blood on the other side of her family, she is actually more Scottish than English ! )

Monarchy is a ridiculous concept that should be done away with.

I don't see what is so special about the link to Robert the Bruce. There's tens of thousands of people alive on earth today who are also direct descendants of his. Perhaps even one or two of them are posters on the TAMB.

Even if we had a uniquely Scottish monarchy, I'd still want rid of them. 

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Monarchy is a ridiculous concept that should be done away with.

I don't see what is so special about the link to Robert the Bruce. There's tens of thousands of people alive on earth today who are also direct descendants of his. Perhaps even one or two of them are posters on the TAMB.

Even if we had a uniquely Scottish monarchy, I'd still want rid of them. 

Allegedly, I'm one of them. Nice to see you want rid of me. 

11 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Oooft some right bitter comments on there!

My opinion on what he said regarding accepting the monarchy for the purposes of the referendum was that it was on behalf of the large contingent of SNP republicans. Shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone.

13 hours ago, buckielugger said:

Bit of a myth that the Queen Mother was Scottish. Titles mean nothing to me.

She was born in England, both her parents were born in England and all four of her Grandparents were born in England.

Scottish?

15 hours ago, buckielugger said:

I agree.  The makeover she had after she became leader made her look a bit frumpy, IMO, and older than her years.  Not that it's particularly important or at all relevant to her suitability for her job, of course.

16 hours ago, andymac said:

Actual quote is 

"most people in the SNP - it will hardly be a surprise to you - would at some point like to see the head of state elected but for the purposes of independence we said we'd keep the queen as head of state"

41 minutes ago, aaid said:

Actual quote is 

"most people in the SNP - it will hardly be a surprise to you - would at some point like to see the head of state elected but for the purposes of independence we said we'd keep the queen as head of state"

I don't think anyone would disagree, or be shocked by that.

I find that survey a bit surprising. I've never been comfortable with the SNP's pro-monarchy policy, and have found that is a view shared by most of the people In the party I speak to. Maybe not representative though, don't really know.

48 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

I find that survey a bit surprising. I've never been comfortable with the SNP's pro-monarchy policy, and have found that is a view shared by most of the people In the party I speak to. Maybe not representative though, don't really know.

I think the reality is that as long as the current queen is alive, no sensible politician would go anywhere near the subject.  Pretty sure that I saw a quote from Corbyn around the time he was getting slaughtered for not singing GSTQ to the effect of "I'm a republican but it's not a battle I'm going to fight"

It'd be a bit like suggesting that heroine should be legalised and regulated, a perfectly sensible and logical viewpoint but one for which you would get absolutely slaughtered.  It would be political suicide.

In the grand scheme of things it's pretty low down the list. 

did anyone realise how humza side stepped the fishing question,,, the three fishermen i seen present in the crowd were once all big snp guys now they cant stand them...For the life of me i dont undertand why the fishing industry is not looked apon as a huge industry with massive growth potential,,while the farmers get everything haded to them the fishermen have eveything taken away,,and he was right when he said that the spanish were being subsidised to build super trawlers to fish our waters while our boats were being forced to deccomission

2 hours ago, aaid said:

I think the reality is that as long as the current queen is alive, no sensible politician would go anywhere near the subject.  Pretty sure that I saw a quote from Corbyn around the time he was getting slaughtered for not singing GSTQ to the effect of "I'm a republican but it's not a battle I'm going to fight"

It'd be a bit like suggesting that heroine should be legalised and regulated, a perfectly sensible and logical viewpoint but one for which you would get absolutely slaughtered.  It would be political suicide.

In the grand scheme of things it's pretty low down the list. 

Whether our head of state is a monarchy or elected is low down the list for you? OK.

20 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

Whether our head of state is a monarchy or elected is low down the list for you? OK.

Pretty much, I don't think that replacing what is pretty much a ceremonial head of state with one that was elected would really make a huge difference in reality - that said if it was on offer I'd vote for a republic.

I'd say getting rid of the House of Lords who actually make legislation would make a much more substantial difference in terms of democracy.

I just don't think its a fight worth having if it would have a negative effect on support for independence, which it would.

It boils down to is would you rather have an independent Scotland with a monarch as head of state or be part of the Republic of Great Britain?

I know what I'd prefer. Given that the monarchy is of no real interest to me, I'm sure I could live with it.

The Lords are irrelevant in the context of an independent Scotland, but I take your point.  Getting there requires compromise, and principles have to be sacrificed in favour of a greater goal. I've been told that often enough. It is a strategy that has worked well for the SNP I can't deny that. Whether it will be as successful in the future, with Sturgeon and Swinney having to administer Scotland in a UK with a Tory government for the foreseeable future, we'll see.  Pretend we'll keep the monarchy until we get independence, doesn't seem the most honest way to be going about things to me. But then maybe the SNP leadership really does want to keep the monarchy. Whenever I was asked about it when canvassing or leafletting I've always said I was for doing away with the monarchy and having a republic, but that SNP policy was to keep the monarchy. 

59 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

But then maybe the SNP leadership really does want to keep the monarchy. Whenever I was asked about it when canvassing or leafletting I've always said I was for doing away with the monarchy and having a republic, but that SNP policy was to keep the monarchy.

That survey showed the Yes / No to monarchy as being very much a split decision, similar to independence. Although there will be elements of crossover with Yes monarchists and No republicans...

35 minutes ago, stocky said:

I think a lot will change when Betty dies.......   

35 minutes ago, stocky said:

I think a lot will change when Betty dies.......   

Unless she dies in the same Paris car crash as Chas.

On 13 May 2016 at 9:14 AM, aaid said:

I thought Dugdale made a very good point regarding Named Person, the Government haven't made a particularly good job of explaining what the legislation exactly does.  Albeit that it's difficult to do that when there's a lot of misinformation and hyperbole flying around, but still they are the government and they are supposed to be able to do difficult things.   I'm not sure I necessarily agree with a need to pause it though.

i see that Ruth is looking to use this as a test of her new super-opposition. I can't see them winning a vote on this.

i don't think they'll get this opposition MSP on board although he is a Lib Dem so who knows - actually a pretty good explanation here.

i wish the SG would just give up on this matter, altought the intensions are good it is not well thought out and the unionist are jumping all over it,, i see there is now a FB page set up called no2np, it will only be used as an SNP bad page...Just like the Why stop at Ellon(campaign to dual aberdeen to peterhead set up by a tory councilor) that is just a tory hate fest...when will this law come into practice?