Question Time Tonight - Page 88 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

Merryn Somerset Webb is only there to repeat ad nauseum that Scotland cant afford to be Independent unless there are massive cuts, tax rises and everyone made skint ..

It's important to remember and to reiterate that Scotland does not have any debt.

The Scottish Government must, by law, work within the handout given to us by Westminster. Indeed, when the Labour Party were in power in Holyrood, they were returning unspent money to Westminster.

Any so-called "Scottish-debt" has been accrued by, and allocated to Scotland, by people outwith Scotland.

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Merryn Somerset Webb is only there to repeat ad nauseum that Scotland cant afford to be Independent unless there are massive cuts, tax rises and everyone made skint ..

It's okay, she talks so quickly that no-one can understand a word she says anyway. 

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Another Unionists mantra just now is that the RUK is Scotland's biggest trading partner suggesting that if we remain in the EU we will not have a trade deal with RUK - unlike Ireland ...

Both of these have to be nailed down - i would have preferred Ivan McKee was on

Funny that, you'd think if that really was the case then all those Unionist MPS in rUK would be desperate to get rid off such an economic drain. 

Some do, but not many of the brighter ones. Oil prices are not flash at present but they have been in the past.

Besides any financial considerations Scotland is a very convenient place to park submarines, fly RAF jets and ultimately maintain a delusion, however costly, of being a major player by that Security council seat in New York.

54 minutes ago, fishcumnock said:

Who are the unionists on tonight show ?

Everyone apart from John Nicholson and Cat Boyd, including David Dimbleby and the audience*.

*maybe not Alibi's son. 

Edited by aaid

Guy in the orange jacket (subtle) was an inspired selection from the BBC audience picker

Managed to get a chip in about the IRA as well

A No voting, Brexiteer, Trumpist

Edited by Ally Bongo

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Guy in the orange jacket (subtle) was an inspired selection from the BBC audience picker

Managed to get a chip in about the IRA as well

A No voting, Brexiteer, Trumpist

I'm sure I've seen him before. Possibly QT or might have been Newsnight pre Indy Ref. Whatever it was, he was giving it the same big man, chest beating, no surrender routine.

10 minutes ago, TartanTokyo said:

I'm sure I've seen him before. Possibly QT or might have been Newsnight pre Indy Ref. Whatever it was, he was giving it the same big man, chest beating, no surrender routine.

Aye, if it wasn't him there was someone very like him on Newsnight just before the referendum. Was going on about Salmond and Sturgeon being unfit to run the country because they didn't have kids.  Emily Maitlis was looking on in disbelief.

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Aye, if it wasn't him there was someone very like him on Newsnight just before the referendum. Was going on about Salmond and Sturgeon being unfit to run the country because they didn't have kids.  Emily Maitlis was looking on in disbelief.

Yeah, that's the one. Was an outdoor broadcast (well in a marquee anyway) if I remember rightly. I'd put money on it being the same guy.

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's the best stitch up job by the BBC for some time

But I don't think mr triumphally bitter orange is going to convert or convince anyone? or ms 'brexit is minor' patronising panelist?

1 hour ago, TartanTokyo said:

Yeah, that's the one. Was an outdoor broadcast (well in a marquee anyway) if I remember rightly. I'd put money on it being the same guy.

IIRC it was outside the People's Palace.

Certainly was a passionate episode tonight. Don't mind that though, politics is too sanitised these days. Thought John Nicholson was the most assured panel member by a distance. 

5 hours ago, Toepoke said:

IIRC it was outside the People's Palace.

Certainly was a passionate episode tonight. Don't mind that though, politics is too sanitised these days. Thought John Nicholson was the most assured panel member by a distance. 

It was passionate but it was not a good 'debate' in the sense of not much advancing arguments and clarifying points of view or crystallising 'what the really issue is' 

People on all sides mostly restating entrenched opinions, and statements long worn thin or discredited given equal weight to things that could be the crux of the matter.

There seemed to be too many times when someone says X then someone else just says Y and then the next person says Z. So there's a discussion about Trump, and someone in the audience mentions something else, then someone else shouts rubbish - Dimbleby picks him up, it turns into a rant about something else. This of course will encourage people to interrupt more or make attention-seeking rants. And too many non sequiturs - simply repeating 'Brexit /Trump voters are not stupid' is not getting anywhere as no one is saying they are - at least no member of the panel or audience was making that case.

The potentially interesting issue of whether there is something significant about No/Brexit/Trump as a combination was simply lost. It became just a statement of 'who won' which we all know. Not the more interesting issue of whether it was the Yes side or No side that was to do with populism/nationalism etc - an issue of recent debate on social media but that they simply didn't pick up on. 

And the issue of post-truth was also a lost opportunity. Cat Boyd made forceful points about lying but this was not picked up on - maybe a sign we do live in times when no one cares.