Question Time Tonight - Page 89 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Aye, if it wasn't him there was someone very like him on Newsnight just before the referendum. Was going on about Salmond and Sturgeon being unfit to run the country because they didn't have kids.  Emily Maitlis was looking on in disbelief.

I think you're right, it was an outside broadcast from the Scottish border. He was foaming at the mouth about SNP leaders talking about our children's future when they didn't have kids themselves. No one stopped the insensitive comments. Neil Oliver was on the panel and wasn't man enough to stop him and tell him it was out of order. 

1 hour ago, Och Aye said:

I think you're right, it was an outside broadcast from the Scottish border. He was foaming at the mouth about SNP leaders talking about our children's future when they didn't have kids themselves. No one stopped the insensitive comments. Neil Oliver was on the panel and wasn't man enough to stop him and tell him it was out of order. 

Was that the one that also had Tom Devine, Michelle Mone and a brilliantly bonkers Vivienne Westwood on it?

If you want to get a glimpse of how BBC bias manifests itself you just need to look at how the panellists were introduced last night.  

Cat Boyd was introduced as the co-founder of RIC, Merryn Somerset Webb was introduced as editor-in-chief of Moneyweek.

Both these statements are true but give sets the viewer's perception that Cat Boyd is biased towards Indy whereas Merryn Somerset Webb is totally impartial.

They could have easily introduced CB as "columnist for The National" which would also be true.

In a similar way they could have introduced MSW as a member of the advisory board of Scotland in Union, which is similarly true but gives a completely different view to her impartiality.

I thought that was a pretty poor QT.  My son, who is Yes and SNP, tells me that the TV version was edited to cut out a lot of shouts of "rubbish" and "nonsense" when the unionists spouted their discredited lies.  He says it was more lively than it appeared on TV.

The question I gave him to ask was along the lines of "After Trump, Brexit and the rise of the extreme right, are the USA, parts of Europe and the southern part of the UK sleepwalking into a form of modern-day fascism?".  I thought that would get a lively discussion going, but the BBC prefers anodyne bland generic questions.

Sorry to say he chickened out of wearing his Morton top for the programme...

Edited by Alibi

40 minutes ago, aaid said:

Was that the one that also had Tom Devine, Michelle Mone and a brilliantly bonkers Vivienne Westwood on it?

f it was the one by the bridge at Bewick, it was Tessa Hartmann and Pat Kane that were on. They did a live vote of the audience and Yes came out on top by a large margin.

1 hour ago, TartanTokyo said:

f it was the one by the bridge at Bewick, it was Tessa Hartmann and Pat Kane that were on. They did a live vote of the audience and Yes came out on top by a large margin.

Aye, and Kirsty Warks face that night was a shocker.........

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

He's the founder of the Livingston true blues flute band seemingly

CxihGSFXgAA-VWs.jpg

CxirqMJXAAANHy_.jpg

Ironic that he complains of mob rule.  The last time I can recall that happening was on 19/09/14 in George Square and it was the unionist stormtroppers who were responsible - I wonder if he was there.  How embarrassing would it be for the BBC if someone had a photo of him seig heiling and trying to start a fight?

Guest BlueGaz
3 hours ago, aaid said:

3 hours ago, aaid said:

If you want to get a glimpse of how BBC bias manifests itself you just need to look at how the panellists were introduced last night.  

Cat Boyd was introduced as the co-founder of RIC, Merryn Somerset Webb was introduced as editor-in-chief of Moneyweek.

Both these statements are true but give sets the viewer's perception that Cat Boyd is biased towards Indy whereas Merryn Somerset Webb is totally impartial.

Serious question,  are you a politician?

3 hours ago, Alibi said:

My son, who is Yes and SNP, tells me that the TV version was edited to cut out a lot of shouts of "rubbish" and "nonsense" when the unionists spouted their discredited lies.  He says it was more lively than it appeared on TV.

:lol: of course it was.

Edited by BlueGaz

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

Ironic that he complains of mob rule.  The last time I can recall that happening was on 19/09/14 in George Square and it was the unionist stormtroppers who were responsible - I wonder if he was there.  How embarrassing would it be for the BBC if someone had a photo of him seig heiling and trying to start a fight?

Not the slightest bit embarrassing.  How would anyone get to know about it?  Who would broadcast it?  What newspaper would publish it?  Sadly, that's what we're dealing with.  :(

10 minutes ago, 86glebestreet said:

Are you a detective, 

Nope - The Livingston True Blues gladly offered him up in celebration on Facebook

The rest is available on Twitter

One of your mates ?

Edited by Ally Bongo

20 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Nope - The Livingston True Blues gladly offered him up in celebration on Facebook

One of your mates ?

21 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

One of your mates ?

Not one of my mates 

4 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

He's the founder of the Livingston true blues flute band seemingly

CxihGSFXgAA-VWs.jpg

CxirqMJXAAANHy_.jpg

Billy Billy you are incorrect you didnae get elected for UKIP in the election tut tut imagine no mentioning that in yer mob rule tirade... 

Just watched it.  We all know its a setup, but its at the stage now that the BBC couldnt give a toss because no one can touch them at all. Dimblby is a condescending twat - he knows but is laughing at us while pocketing a million or so of our BBC fees.

What a fekking country we live in.

I watched it yesterday,  what a depressing view it was all round.  

That Scotland is divided is obvious but it seemed just totally entrenched from the audience.  Brexit is utterly huge in potential impact but from the view of some of the audience it is just used as to further reinforce their opinions. 

I make no secret of my desire for indy but it needs to be winning some of those hard core unionists over, otherwise it is a 50.01% gamble that Alex would have considered but Nicola will never take. 

We will never ever get the guy in the orange jacket but the sneering blonde woman at the front reminding the panel Brexit was a UK vote not Scottish is the one that dismayed me the most. How can we ever win round people like that. She seemed the be viewing the whole thing through a prism of the UK must survive at all costs.

Really hardly anyone who voted in eu ref really knew anything about the genuine issues or nuances of membership.  I'd wager people who hold most trenchant positions would not know the diff between the roles of the commission, the Parliament and the council of ministers. Never mind esoteric stuff on law or international trade. 

The nationalists didnt have a great night either. I reckon John Nicolson better suited to This week or Daily Politics. As said earlier on this thread this was Ivan Mckee territory. 

As for Cat Boyd, wtf did she not just say something like 'like the 62% of Scottish people who expressed a clear view (which would have got round of applause buying her time to think) then I believe we should remain committed partners blah blah'.  Instead she blushed and paused which gave the answer she was either No (after just decrying it,risk of career limiting hypocrisy) or abstain(and duly receive a barrage of criticism from an audience with guns loaded). Really had nowhere to go from there. It was tough viewing, glad the Labour mp came to her rescue. 

Whether Cat voted or not though is irrelevant.

People of people who did vote knew absolutely naff all about the issue. 

Must do better. Depressing.

Edited by jockodile