Question Time Tonight - Page 93 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

17 minutes ago, Topcat said:

first question to the panel in Glasgow should be:

Why do the SFA still use hot and cold balls in the draw for the Scottish Cup - the pretence of a 'fair' draw isn't fooling anyone & the odds on top 4 getting home ties against lesser ranked opposition was predicted well in advance.

In which case hopefully the panellists will reply that the odds of getting four home ties are exactly the same as getting four away ties or any other combination.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

In which case hopefully the panellists will reply that the odds of getting four home ties are exactly the same as getting four away ties or any other combination.

:lol:

Factually true but probably not what the guy meant.  This was a branch of maths I absolutely hated but I'm thinking the probability of the outcome that happened was:

4/8 x 4/7 x 3/6 x 3/5 x 2/4 x 2/3 x 1/2 = 0.0143, i.e. next to feck all and this is the exact one you're trying to predict.

Could be wrong here as I'm very rusty with stats and probability.

Edited by daviebee

6 hours ago, daviebee said:

:lol:

Factually true but probably not what the guy meant.  This was a branch of maths I absolutely hated but I'm thinking the probability of the outcome that happened was:

4/8 x 4/7 x 3/6 x 3/5 x 2/4 x 2/3 x 1/2 = 0.0143, i.e. next to feck all and this is the exact one you're trying to predict.

Could be wrong here as I'm very rusty with stats and probability.

Indeed if one permutation is more fortuitous tan others it skews it slightly, still the same chance for each permutation but a much lesser chance of a favourable one.

Or at least that's my understanding a 6am which might be very fuzzy.

2 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Pity its Swinney though, he doesnt usually come across very well on things like this.

Nope. He always comes across as a stuttering accountant that everyone loses interest in within 5 seconds.

Fortunately Mr Fluffy is on the panel. He should attract attention away from Swinney.

The IEA love Thatcher and also poured water on a currency union post Independence

I assume Dimbledore will give Littlewood plenty opportunity to predict economic turmoil to the roars of the 200 Tories that are bussed in

Not looking forward to it

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

I have to say that this is not going the way I thought it would.  

I think they have kept the Yoons to the end this time rather than at the start