Question Time Tonight - Page 97 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

37 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

First time I've seen Tim Martin. I agreed with a lot of what he said. Although he didn't get a chance to say very much. Why do folk think he is a loop?

Try reading his editorial in the Daily Wetherspoons.

34 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

First time I've seen Tim Martin. I agreed with a lot of what he said. Although he didn't get a chance to say very much. Why do folk think he is a loop?

I thought he was pretty decent as well. Was expecting him to be a loonball but he came across pretty reasonable and made decent points. 

Thought the panel were fine overall, with the exception of Angela Eagle. 

Shambles at the first section on Indy where the majority of the panel and all of the audience hostile to Indy and JC was being hampered from answering each point due to Dimbleby having to spread the speaking time. That's just seriously flawed in such a one-sided, hostile environment. She did well to highlight the sneering ignorance from the fud on the currency question. 

36 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Shambles at the first section on Indy where the majority of the panel and all of the audience hostile to Indy and JC was being hampered from answering each point due to Dimbleby having to spread the speaking time. That's just seriously flawed in such a one-sided, hostile environment. She did well to highlight the sneering ignorance from the fud on the currency question. 

Difficult situation for Dimbleby, which I thought he handled about as well as he could to be fair, I doubt that Joanna Cherry or anyone from the SNP was originally planned to be on last night but given the events of this week they could hardly go ahead without someone.  He did give her a good run in the first part of the programme when they were talking about Scotland and I wouldn't be surprised in she didn't get close to the same amount of time as the rest of the panel - she certainly got a lot more than 20%.

There is a bit of a wider problem with how TV in general and the BBC specifically does "balance", I'm not talking about bias or anything more a bit of a mindset.

They seem fixated that balance means they give equal airtime to all the political parties - or at least those with either representation or some form of popular support, so I'd include UKIP in that.

When you have a single constitutional question which is at the forefront.  Within the wider UK they got that pretty much right with Brexit although they were probably helped by their being Remainers and Leavers in both the Tories and Labour so they could get a good mix.   Much more difficult in Scotland where all the main parties were pro-EU which is why David Coburn got so much airtime. 

They have a real problem, BBC Scotland, in particular when it comes to Indy and that's because while the country is essentially split 50/50 and while there is an Indy Majority in Holyrood, there are only two pro-Indy parties and three Unionist ones, which leads to a natural imbalance as they try to give all parties a say.

Since the Greens became the fourth party things have gotten a bit better but it's still not good enough.   The fifth party, the Lib Dems, seem to get a lot more coverage than the Greens.  I don't know whether that's because Willie Rennie is more amenable than Patrick Harvie or whether it's because they think the Lib Dems are somehow more "establishment" than the Greens, I don't know. 

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

But that might put up the price of the beer? I like his pubs. Not that i've been in them all.

I wouldn't have a problem with that.  There are a lot of things I like about Weatherspoons, particularly as someone who likes cask ale, they always have a very good selection and they also stock mainly local ales, so you get a completely different choice if you were in a Weatherspoons in St. Ives than you would do in Inverness.

That said, in the last couple of years I've found them - most if not all - to be pretty filthy places where it takes to long to get served.  Most of the problem is the amount of food that's sold, they never seem to have enough staff to run the bar, deliver the food and clear the tables.

18 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Do you get a free copy with your pint?

They're on every table in the pub, only ever read by people waiting for friends/food.

Its probably got a bigger circulation than the Daily Record.

4 minutes ago, deecie said:

They're on every table in the pub, only ever read by people waiting for friends/food.

Its probably got a bigger circulation than the Daily Record.

Never noticed them. But I hardly ever eat there and I always make sure my friends are there before me. I am part Aberdonian.

28 minutes ago, aaid said:

They seem fixated that balance means they give equal airtime to all the political parties - or at least those with either representation or some form of popular support, so I'd include UKIP in that.

When you have a single constitutional question which is at the forefront.  Within the wider UK they got that pretty much right with Brexit although they were probably helped by their being Remainers and Leavers in both the Tories and Labour so they could get a good mix.   Much more difficult in Scotland where all the main parties were pro-EU which is why David Coburn got so much airtime. 

They have a real problem, BBC Scotland, in particular when it comes to Indy and that's because while the country is essentially split 50/50 and while there is an Indy Majority in Holyrood, there are only two pro-Indy parties and three Unionist ones, which leads to a natural imbalance as they try to give all parties a say.

Since the Greens became the fourth party things have gotten a bit better but it's still not good enough.   The fifth party, the Lib Dems, seem to get a lot more coverage than the Greens.  I don't know whether that's because Willie Rennie is more amenable than Patrick Harvie or whether it's because they think the Lib Dems are somehow more "establishment" than the Greens, I don't know. 

Agreed, that's why I think it could be to the Unionist side's advantage not to have a blanket Better Together group this time. You're going to have Tories for No, Labour for No, Lib Dems for No, all getting their share of airtime...

29 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Agreed, that's why I think it could be to the Unionist side's advantage not to have a blanket Better Together group this time. You're going to have Tories for No, Labour for No, Lib Dems for No, all getting their share of airtime...

I really can't see it ending up like that, it would be so obviously indefensible if it were.

8 minutes ago, FuNsTeR said:

it will be the Muslims getting it on the neck tonight along with SNP and Independence for Scotland

is that not what it is everyweek,  

I gave up watching a long time ago.....

"From Bangor, north Wales. On the panel are Conservative policing minister Brandon Lewis, shadow defence secretary Nia Griffith, leader of Plaid Cymru Leanne Wood, Church of England priest and Guardian columnist Giles Fraser and the Times, Spectator and GQ columnist Hugo Rifkind."