Question Time Tonight - Page 101 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

13 hours ago, aaid said:

I wonder if David Dimbleby will introduce Merryn Somerset Webb as a board member of Scotland in Union tonight which he seems to "forget" to do every other time she's been on.

You can just imagine the introductions "David Hayman, well known actor and independence supporter and Merryn Somerset Webb, editor of MoneyWeek"

So I got that wrong. He introduced Merryn Somerset Webb before David Hayman.  

4 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Not a good start - seems awfy Labour v Tories agenda

A Labour v Tory agenda - especially with no Scottish unionists around - is the least anti-SNP combination!

Did i hear right, Merryn Somerset Webb bemoaning the nasty divisive nature of constitutional politics, when she is (according to above) an active participant in the constitutional issue?

And did i hear right, David Dimbleby try to claim SNP lost seats, but when challenged, backed off, admitting it was a controversial issue, which he must have known when he chanced it trying to 'correct' David Hayman?

Edited by exile

Thought Joanna Cherry did ok last night although even I am starting to get sick of the same old verbatims getting regurgitated. We desperately need some new patter. 

Hayman good too. Speaking of Hayman does anyone know Fast Eddie that drinks in the Gellions in Inverness? Have you ever seen him in the same room as Hayman? Separated at birth?

Guest BlueGaz
3 minutes ago, Marky said:

Thought Joanna Cherry did ok last night although even I am starting to get sick of the same old verbatims getting regurgitated. We desperately need some new patter. 

Hayman good too. Speaking of Hayman does anyone know Fast Eddie that drinks in the Gellions in Inverness? Have you ever seen him in the same room as Hayman? Separated at birth?

Was all a bit cringe for me, turned it off after a while.  The only person on the panel I was interested in listening to was Merryn.  I agree with you and thought about it last night, same old same old, day in day out.  Across the board.

What you have though is every Unionist under the sun going on about a 2nd Independence referendum

Tories - all day, every day

Labour - all day, every day

Lib Dems - all day, every day

It is clear that the strategy is to sicken people off about the second referendum while they are saying people are sick hearing about a second referendum.

The second referendum was agreed by the Scottish Parliament and that once the terms of Brexit, or near as dammit, are known we can have a choice considering over 60% of us wanted to stay in the EU.

Not tomorrow, not next month and not next year - but when it's known what Brexit is going to entail

That should be it - nothing else to say

But Davidson, Dugdale & Rennie along with every political commentator want to mention it day in day out to tire people out and it is clear that it is working

They are utter cvnts of the highest order

6 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

What you have though is every Unionist under the sun going on about a 2nd Independence referendum

It is clear that the strategy is to sicken people off about the second referendum while they are saying people are sick hearing about a second referendum.

The second referendum was agreed by the Scottish Parliament and that once the terms of Brexit, or near as dammit, are known we can have a choice considering over 60% of us wanted to stay in the EU.

Not tomorrow, not next month and not next year - but when it's known what Brexit is going to entail

But Davidson, Dugdale & Rennie along with every political commentator want to mention it day in day out to tire people out and it is clear that it is working

Agree 100%

4 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

Was all a bit cringe for me, turned it off after a while.  The only person on the panel I was interested in listening to was Merryn.  I agree with you and thought about it last night, same old same old, day in day out.  Across the board.

I feel a bit similar about these type of programmes. Maybe not so much for the election, but for a future referendum Id like to see more non-politicians on debate panels - academics for example.

Politicians just rattle out too many soundbites IMO............"Dragged out fo EU against our will", "Sturgeon should get back to the day job", etc etc

Guest BlueGaz
4 minutes ago, virus-with-shoes said:

I feel a bit similar about these type of programmes. Maybe not so much for the election, but for a future referendum Id like to see more non-politicians on debate panels - academics for example.

Politicians just rattle out too many soundbites IMO............"Dragged out fo EU against our will", "Sturgeon should get back to the day job", etc etc

Good point.  Often politicians are just a voice for the team. Lets hear arguments from the horses mouth.  Try and get some top finance experts on, get some of the top medical experts, the top education experts on.  Give the programme some credence and the truth.  We have 3 parties giving us totally different figures on same issues.  Two of them are wrong, when discussing the same subject.  Lets break all political rules and give the people the truth, and we can vote off the back of that.

57 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

That's all well and good but someone should be making a loud statement saying it is bollocks. This kid gloves shite is getting nowhere.

21 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Good point.  Often politicians are just a voice for the team. Lets hear arguments from the horses mouth.  Try and get some top finance experts on, get some of the top medical experts, the top education experts on.  Give the programme some credence and the truth.  We have 3 parties giving us totally different figures on same issues.  Two of them are wrong, when discussing the same subject.  Lets break all political rules and give the people the truth, and we can vote off the back of that.

However, these experts will also have a political bias. Presenting folk with an unknown bias as "impartial experts" is a very dodgy game to be playing. 

Guest BlueGaz
7 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

That's all well and good but someone should be making a loud statement saying it is bollocks. This kid gloves shite is getting nowhere.

Ally is right, but has missed out 1 x party who are also bad at it.  I would love to see one party ignore (not totally ignore, still have to take on board what others say) a lot of what other parties say, and just get on with showing us what they are doing, and what they intend to do.  Not from party 1, party 2 or party 3s point of view, from their own point of view.

Use the SNP as an example, as they are the largest here.  Everyone knows they want indy, everyone that is interested is now aware that if we have a 2nd one, we know roughly when it is going to be.  So put it to one side.  Tell us the truth about where we are, back it up with independent thumbs up, be honest.  Last night they mentioned that the SNP manifesto coming up will not be geared towards indy, but i bet we here about it from the SNP on a daily basis from now till then.  I feel the same about all the others too, just using the SNP as an example.

I am in an unfortunate position that i would love politicians to be truthful, but also know i will never get that.  

Guest BlueGaz
Just now, Parklife said:

However, these experts will also have a political bias. Presenting folk with an unknown bias as "impartial experts" is a very dodgy game to be playing. 

That will always be an issue, but I am sure there must be experts that would rather tell the truth than spin the truth to their political bias.  So suppose it is what it is and we just have to make the most educated guess we can, with the various info we are given.

5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Like, for example, FT Columnist and editor of MoneyWeek.

29 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Ally is right, but has missed out 1 x party who are also bad at it.  I would love to see one party ignore (not totally ignore, still have to take on board what others say) a lot of what other parties say, and just get on with showing us what they are doing, and what they intend to do.  Not from party 1, party 2 or party 3s point of view, from their own point of view.

Use the SNP as an example, as they are the largest here.  Everyone knows they want indy, everyone that is interested is now aware that if we have a 2nd one, we know roughly when it is going to be.  So put it to one side.  Tell us the truth about where we are, back it up with independent thumbs up, be honest.  Last night they mentioned that the SNP manifesto coming up will not be geared towards indy, but i bet we here about it from the SNP on a daily basis from now till then.  I feel the same about all the others too, just using the SNP as an example.

I am in an unfortunate position that i would love politicians to be truthful, but also know i will never get that.  

But thats the thing Bluegaz - the statement that all the SNP do is mention Independence or even Indyref 2 is rubbish but it is what all 3 Unionist parties want you to believe.

When Sturgeon made her statement on Brexit in March she acknowledged that Scotland had voted No to Independence in 2014.

She also acknowledged that over 60% of Scots had voted to stay in the EU.

After discussions with EU experts they drew up a long list of compromises but said if they were thrown out then she would let the people decide after the terms of brexit are known.

There have been no speeches on Independence by the SNP and how great it would be

There has been no campaigning on Indyref 2

The position has been made clear - you even acknowledge that in your post

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

But thats the thing Bluegaz - the statement that all the SNP do is mention Independence or even Indyref 2 is rubbish but it is what all 3 Unionist parties want you to believe.

When Sturgeon made her statement on Brexit in March she acknowledged that Scotland had voted No to Independence in 2014.

After discussions with EU experts they drew up a long list of compromises but said if they were thrown out then she would let the people decide after the terms of brexit are known.

There have been no speeches on Independence by the SNP and how great it would be

I don't think it is rubbish mate, I see it all the time, week in, week out.  I would caveat that with the probable fact I don't watch/read as much about it as you.  I do however, think others are worse.  

6 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Pretty much. 

Listening to FMQ's each week, every time Willie Rennie stands up he talks about "the FM's obsession with Independence", regardless of what has been happening in the past 7 days. 

It's definitely a deliberate tactic. 

At least Labour UK seem to have clear manifesto ideas.

The rest are all just talking about Brexit and Independence.

Pity it's a wasted vote up here.  

I can't believe people are thinking of voting for Tories to govern them on all issues rather than simply voting No in a referendum about a specific issue.

48 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

I don't think it is rubbish mate, I see it all the time, week in, week out.  I would caveat that with the probable fact I don't watch/read as much about it as you.  I do however, think others are worse.  

What happens is the Tories, Labour and Lib Dems mention Indyref 2 every time they are interviewed or make speeches in Parliament

The media then ask someone from the SNP to answer the remarks 

The press then publish the mentions of Indyref 2 by the Unionist parties the next day

"Sturgeon slapped down over Indyref 2"

"Sturgeon focusing on Independence rather than getting on with the day job says Davidson"

It's also not Indyref 2 - It's Scotref btw

Guest BlueGaz
4 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I can't believe people are thinking of voting for Tories to govern them on all issues rather than simply voting No in a referendum about a specific issue.

For some though I doubt it is as simple as that.  The more support the SNP get, the longer the vote will be talked about discussed.  You are right, it is a specific issue, but it has dwarfed all others, rightly or wrongly.