Fracking - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Guest Extreme0

Scottish Goverment dosen't have the power to stop the fracking here. Scottish Gov have been asking to have it but naturally WM ain't sharing.

Though if any new sites are seen or planned then I can see people protesting there in numbers including Indepedence Supporters, Eco Friendly People, House owners that are going to get fracked, Maybe some goverment officals and all sorts. If the same amount of people that have appeared at the rallies on the 27th actually go to the fracking sites to protest and restrict them from doing so then they are going to be stuck for some time.

Basically. Occupy Fracking

Guest Extreme0

If Westminister says we do have the powers then I would of expected the SNP to actually stop it considering it's becoming a big issue amongst Indy and SNP voters.

I do however ask what was in the proposal.

I would have thought the Scottish parliament would have had jurisdiction over planning if not the licensing. A lot of equipment is required on one of these operations.

However as someone who has worked in the business for over 25 years I have no objection to fracking as such. I've worked in fracking areas of Poland, Germany, Holland, Australia and the US. I have not seen anything to suggest fracking causes problems anywhere. I have worked on land rigs on almost every continent and it's really no big deal. I have drilled wells in Holland and France where they pump down water to dissolve salt domes creating huge underground caverns and nobody will ever know they're there.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that there is less to worry about than a lot of people think. Obviously things have to be planned properly and a lot depends on how deep the shale or coal layer is below the surface, but done properly 99% of people would never know there was anything going on. If any problems arrive the operating company is held 100% responsible for any remedial action required.

There should also be side benefits such as jobs and money spent in areas where drilling gets the go ahead. Hidden benefits could include things such as using the hot produced water to heat local businesses. I did a job a few years ago in Holland where some farmers drilled for hot water to heat acres of greenhouses.

While I can understand people being nervous I would take anything written in the papers with a pinch of salt regarding fracking. There is propaganda on both sides and I can just talk from my personal experience.

PS Ian Wood is a twat. The "sir" is a bit of a giveaway.

Speaking to an English boy last night who is in the oil related business and seemed to know his stuff. Basically it's common sense, if done properly should not cause problems but if not it can. So if companies cut corners and don't use proper methods it can cause problems.

As has already been stated by Big Dod fracking is absolutely fine with proper regulation in place. Can't stand the very ill informed media and the green anti fracking brigade talking about ridiculous stuff like Earthquakes and so on.

Sure, but we all know what can happen (and proper regulation is not exactly adhered to by big companies, and its not like scotland needs the energy. Go renewable, we have it in abundance.

When you fracture rock in the ground you are undoubtedly going to generate some seismic energy but nothing that is going to do anyone any harm. We are not talking about the kind of energy generated when when you have oceanic lithosphere subducting under continental crust that generates masive earthquakes. We experience tremors of magnitude 3 or 4 quite often, even in the UK and most of the time people wouldn't even notice it.

Sure, but we all know what can happen (and proper regulation is not exactly adhered to by big companies, and its not like scotland needs the energy. Go renewable, we have it in abundance.

No problem. We can leave it in the ground. At least we could if WM wasn't trying to suck us dry to pay their debt/war/austerity fund. The oil & gas down there has been there for a few hundred million years I'm pretty sure it could wait another 20. Big comanies go where the oil/gas is.Norway has them by the nads, we should too. eexcept we can't now etc...,,

I imagine the daily mail are in favour of fracking. Personally i`m worried about the british government drilling underneath my house.

No offence mate but have you ever been on a frac job? Has anyone ever drilled under your house? Are they planning to? I can almost guarantee that the daily mail would be anti-fracking in the home counties but would expect all proud scots to bend over and take the pineapple. What is our argument to stop them?

No offence mate but have you ever been on a frac job? Has anyone ever drilled under your house? Are they planning to? I can almost guarantee that the daily mail would be anti-fracking in the home counties but would expect all proud scots to bend over and take the pineapple. What is our argument to stop them?

No offence taken Big Dod. I`ve never been on a frack job and i don't know if anyone has drilled under my house. My house is in the area that they can drill under. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-to-remove-barriers-to-onshore-oil-and-gas-and-deep-geothermal-exploration

40.000 or so objections about it. I simply don`t trust that it won`t cause any problems. Don`t see why we need to do it anyway, we could be just about self sufficient with renewables in Scotland. Using less energy is a much better solution :ok:

Axactly my thoughts, make no mistake this source of energy is the future and to rule it out completely is a mistake imo

As has already been stated by Big Dod fracking is absolutely fine with proper regulation in place. Can't stand the very ill informed media and the green anti fracking brigade talking about ridiculous stuff like Earthquakes and so on.

Disturbing loads of methane into an atmosphere we're told is reaching a critical level of methane doesn't really seem like the future.

If i trusted the companies and the legislators to put the safety process before profit i would be a lot more comfortable with it.