Politics At Scotland Games - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Politics At Scotland Games

andyg83

Just been reading a few of the threads and thinking about upcoming games.

I will struggle with Flower of Scotland to be honest due to recent events but hopefully in time I will come round. I was previously all for a new anthem but I suspect it is here to stay.

I also am fairly certain that there will be loads of Yes flags and there will be some people who wish to make some kind of statement following the referendum.

This would be a real shame in my opinion.

I probably speak for a few people when I say that part of the reason I follow Scotland is because I follow a smaller provincial club and have no interest in the tit for tat bigotry and political angles that the old firm are known for.

I also hope that anti English sentiment does not become prevalent as surely the yes campaign was not about this at all. The whole stand up if you hate England was dying out recently which was good as it was all a bit immature IMO. I would hate this to return

What are everyone's thoughts? Are we destined to become no better than the Rangers and Celtic support by promoting politics and a 'cause' at the games? Can we not support our team on the pitch in the right way and leave our political baggage at the door?

As folk have said in other threads the political stuff at ibrox and park head have turned people away. I don't want the Scotland games to become a yes or 45 rally every time we play. I would possibly consider not going if it did.

Surely Scotland games are about everyone coming together regardless of club allegiance and political opinion?

PS before anyone jumps the gun. I am a Yes voter.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just been reading a few of the threads and thinking about upcoming games.

I will struggle with Flower of Scotland to be honest due to recent events but hopefully in time I will come round. I was previously all for a new anthem but I suspect it is here to stay.

I also am fairly certain that there will be loads of Yes flags and there will be some people who wish to make some kind of statement following the referendum.

This would be a real shame in my opinion.

I probably speak for a few people when I say that part of the reason I follow Scotland is because I follow a smaller provincial club and have no interest in the tit for tat bigotry and political angles that the old firm are known for.

I also hope that anti English sentiment does not become prevalent as surely the yes campaign was not about this at all. The whole stand up if you hate England was dying out recently which was good as it was all a bit immature IMO. I would hate this to return

What are everyone's thoughts? Are we destined to become no better than the Rangers and Celtic support by promoting politics and a 'cause' at the games? Can we not support our team on the pitch in the right way and leave our political baggage at the door?

As folk have said in other threads the political stuff at ibrox and park head have turned people away. I don't want the Scotland games to become a yes or 45 rally every time we play. I would possibly consider not going if it did.

Surely Scotland games are about everyone coming together regardless of club allegiance and political opinion?

PS before anyone jumps the gun. I am a Yes voter.

Good post mate and it pretty much sums up my feelings on it all too.

Also from a yes voter

If Scotland is to be independent we need to accept that people have different opinions and backgrounds.

We often slag off the unionist rallies that are passed of as armed forces days at ibrox.

We will be no better if we make Scotland games yes only festivals.

People need to accept that we won't be independent for a while yet and do their campaigning at the relevant rallies.

not Scotland games IMO.

But the first national game following the referendum is at Ibrox? How can most of the Scotland fans not have anything but disdain for the place and the lying, cheating and bullying people that normally use that venue? I can only see anger being expressed by the TA at the game at Ibrox, maybe to some extent at the ROI home game at Celtic Park and the England fans taking the piss out of Scotland big style a few days later again at Celtic Park A crazy set of fixtures / venues to have at this time.

But the first national game following the referendum is at Ibrox? How can most of the Scotland fans not have anything but disdain for the place and the lying, cheating and bullying people that normally use that venue? I can only see anger being expressed by the TA at the game at Ibrox, maybe to some extent at the ROI home game at Celtic Park and the England fans taking the piss out of Scotland big style a few days later again at Celtic Park A crazy set of fixtures / venues to have at this time.

If eufa had to take into account all the in fighting within every country involved in the tournaments it would be impossible to organise a draw of any kind!!!!! I'm sure scottish independence was not really foremost in their minds when this draw was set out!!

The England game yes I agree the timing of that one leaves a little to be desired!!!

It's going to be tough for the first few games.
It will be worse at the rugby due to the higher amount of unionists, but then the atmosphere at Murrayfield is funereal at the best of times anyway.

The snobbery at the rugby is enough to make you sick. I have been to plenty of Scotland rugby matches in the past and recently toyed with the idea of getting myself a few tickets for the rugby world cup (in England 2015). However, the truly crazy greedy prices for the tickets coupled with the fact that several of these so called Scotland supporting rugger supporters would rather wave a union jack and make potentially libellious lying statements in the press on behalf of their companies against an independent Scotland if they had the chance meant I decided to give these prats an almighty body swerve. Going to spend the cash on going to the darts at Lakeside instead!

It's going to be tough for the first few games.

This.

Expecting people just to act as nothing has happened is unrealistic. People are still hurting and it's gonna take time for that to pass.

A few yes flags or not singing the anthem won't hurt anyone. Once the whistle goes everyone will be behind the team.

if the fans are flat the players will be also, these are two very important home games coming up for us that we need to win , we need to get behind the team( which we always do ) we need to be more vocal than in previous years, if we could replicate paris all over again, well we all seen what happened there the team will do their part its up to us to do ours.

if the fans are flat the players will be also, these are two very important home games coming up for us that we need to win , we need to get behind the team( which we always do ) we need to be more vocal than in previous years, if we could replicate paris all over again, well we all seen what happened there the team will do their part its up to us to do ours.

The fans will do what they have to do. people are still watching them after the dross they've endured the past 6 years.

If some fans choose not to sing the anthem it's hardly a big deal, like I said once the whistle goes the team will be supported as ever.

I really am struggling to see how I could sing FoS - and not sure how you can get away from politics when we are speaking about international football and we have voted not to be a prper country.

FoS is political and it appears we can't rise now cos we are too feart.

Sorry still angry and can't understand why people could move on so quickly.

haters are always gonna hate

Many people don’t consider themselves a unionist or nationalist just Scottish !

At Scotland games we are all Scotland fans , that is the only collective that should matter

Judging by some of the posts on this board some want to ram their own agenda and prejudice down the throats of all fans

So there will most likely be an attempt to polarise the support by splitting the Yes No fans probably by signing , if/when this happens I for one will be sad at what we have become

On another point this board has become more political than football, perhaps the mods (who have be noticeable by their absence recently) should separate into two sections , most clubs forums have no patience for this sort of thing

haters are always gonna hate

Many people don’t consider themselves a unionist or nationalist just Scottish !

At Scotland games we are all Scotland fans , that is the only collective that should matter

Judging by some of the posts on this board some want to ram their own agenda and prejudice down the throats of all fans

So there will most likely be an attempt to polarise the support by splitting the Yes No fans probably by signing , if/when this happens I for one will be sad at what we have become

On another point this board has become more political than football, perhaps the mods (who have be noticeable by their absence recently) should separate into two sections , most clubs forums have no patience for this sort of thing

Can you define politics please?

What political party were we all voting for in the referendum I must of missed it? I just saw the question 'Should Scotland be an independent country?' - whats political about that?

I thought we were voting for/against Alex Salmond :blink: