Ched Evans - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Apparently Ched Evans is set to be released from prison this month, after being convicted of rape 2.5 years ago.

The PFA have came out and said they support his right to attempt to get back in to playing football.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29541498

Obviously it's a contentious issue, with the "footballers should be role-models" arguments likely to be trotted out.

I'd find it strange supporting and cheering for him. But at the same time i struggle to see why he shouldn't be allowed to do his job and why it is any different from someone coming out of jail and getting a job in, say, Tesco.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently Ched Evans is set to be released from prison this month, after being convicted of rape 2.5 years ago.

The PFA have came out and said they support his right to attempt to get back in to playing football.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29541498

Obviously it's a contentious issue, with the "footballers should be role-models" arguments likely to be trotted out.

I'd find it strange supporting and cheering for him. But at the same time i struggle to see why he shouldn't be allowed to do his job and why it is any different from someone coming out of jail and getting a job in, say, Tesco.

Yet again Gordon Taylor opens his mouth without engaging his brain (if he has one) first, but it is a question where, as you say, it's difficult to say what the "right" answer is.

I think there was a thread about his case a while back. I read a bit about it, admittedly written from his side, but it did seem a bit doubtful whether he raped her or not.

I suppose regardless he should be allowed to continue his career. I'm not sure what my opinion on the abuse he'll take from opposition fans is? but it is inevitable.

Hard to know what the right decision is. He was convicted so "is" a rapist. I wouldn't be able to accept him at my team and opposition fans will have a field day.

It would probably best for him to go abroad for a while or even lie low until the press get bored before he tries to restart his career.

I guess we need to let people get on with their lives again. very difficult but he has been punished by law and has served that punishment. if we dont want them to rehabilitate back into society we may as well lock them up for good. (i guess something that some people would advocate for certain crimes).

Whilst I'm all for people having "paid there debt to society" and being allowed to get on with their lives, rightly or wrongly, I think it depends on the job.

For example, I know for a fact that a previously convicted rapist (or any serious criminal) would not be entertained for one moment in the industry that I work in.

If it was me, I certainly wouldn't hold out any hope of resuming my career and indeed it would be as someone else mentioned, something along the lines of a job stacking shelves in Tesco that would be accepted (nae offence to shelf stackers).

Football player is a tricky one. Like others have said there's a massive role model responsibility there, not to mention the possibility of the player's performance being affected by the emotional abuse that would inevitably come their way. If I was a club chairman I don't think I'd touch him with a bargepole.

Like others have said there's a massive role model responsibility there,

I'd just like to clarify what i said:

I don't believe footballers have any sort of responsibility to be role-models. They have a responsibility to do their job to the best of their ability and behave in a way which their employer deems acceptable.

They have no responsibility, IMO, to be role-models to children.

I'd just like to clarify what i said:

I don't believe footballers have any sort of responsibility to be role-models. They have a responsibility to do their job to the best of their ability and behave in a way which their employer deems acceptable.

They have no responsibility, IMO, to be role-models to children.

Although there would be a correlation between the two.

Although there would be a correlation between the two.

Yeah, there most likely would be. The player's responsibility is to his club though, not to children or their parents to be a role-model.

People should be allowed to go back to whatever profession they had after they have been released from prison. That shouldn't be the question here, the question should be "2.5 years for rape????????". The kvnt should be banged up for at least another 7.5 years.

Pretty much (although there are obvious exceptions).