Social Media More Influential Than Newspapers? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Social Media More Influential Than Newspapers?

The Record/Sunday Mail titles have just posted the biggest drop in circulation UK wide post referendum. Chickens coming home to roost. Personally apart from my 80+ yr old parents I don't know anyone who buys a paper anymore.

People that were hugely active on social media only accounted for a small percentage of the votes cast in the referendum.

The vast majority of people in Scotland still get their news from the papers and BBC/STV.

IMHO.

If anything it was my expriance ( based on comments on social media or in the pub!) that the constant bombardment of social media with yes and NO articles put people off or galvanised them in their vote.

Edited by andreimack

People that were hugely active on social media only accounted for a small percentage of the votes cast in the referendum.

Figures don't actually bear that out. Most printed titles are dropping circulation and year on year social media use is increasing as people find it more instant and reliable.

I agree with what you say about BBC/stv news but more and more people are being more discerning turning yo outlets like aljazeera and channel 4 for news.

The vast majority of people in Scotland still get their news from the papers and BBC/STV.

IMHO.

Even if you don't read the newspapers don't underestimate the impact that newspaper headliens have, not just physically where every headline in the shop is screaming doom and gloom but also when tv and radio deveote time to recycling newspaper headlines by commenting on those headlines. Newspaper influence is undoubtely waning but not dead yet particularly amongst the older generation.

I would say in general the younger you are the more influence you would get from social media anD the older you are the more it would be from the msm.

My experience is that the younger generation get their news through their Facebook, Twitter links etc. and don't actively seek their news from the web.

Yes the older generation do mainly get their news from the msm, but their is a lot of oldies out their who use social to read their news and that can only grow.

My experience is that the younger generation get their news through their Facebook, Twitter links etc. and don't actively seek their news from the web.

Yes the older generation do mainly get their news from the msm, but their is a lot of oldies out their who use social to read their news and that can only grow.

Ye my folks get a lot of there stuff from fb and also post pro-Indy stuff as well. They were some of the few over 65's that voted yes. Know from talking to my mares kids that if I asked them about watching the news they just say it's boring

Ye my folks get a lot of there stuff from fb and also post pro-Indy stuff as well. They were some of the few over 65's that voted yes. Know from talking to my mares kids that if I asked them about watching the news they just say it's boring

You've got a mare? Ha ha.

Auto predicter is murder. :-)

• 5 months later...

The baby boomers bought all the lies about not getting their pensions and sold their country and the youth down the river. Most selfish worthless generation that ever existed.

Not to mention privileged. Their fathers and grandfathers went through hell, and they by and large have generous pensions that the rest of us young uns can only dream of.

J