A9 Average Speed Cameras - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

A9 Average Speed Cameras

Aye - it's a grand drive when it's quiet - when it's busy though...

I actually dont mind it when its busy, as long as you scope out the drivers in front and know when you can overtake. I am not one of these folk to dart in and out of a tailback of 20 cars to finally get a chance to overtake a lorry. Those guys are bawbags

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still going to make my journey to aviemore on sunday night longer than it needs to be. Hate average cams

"AVERAGE speed cameras have been hailed for boosting safety on the A9 after the number of people killed on the notorious trunk road fell to zero for the first time in 40 years.

There were no fatal crashes anywhere on the route during the second half of 2015 and overall collisions were down in the first year since the cameras went live."

If it saves lives and other injuries then seems worth it surely ?

"AVERAGE speed cameras have been hailed for boosting safety on the A9 after the number of people killed on the notorious trunk road fell to zero for the first time in 40 years.

There were no fatal crashes anywhere on the route during the second half of 2015 and overall collisions were down in the first year since the cameras went live."

I'm not usually a fan, but this looks a decent case for them. Still not convinced there's any justification for them carrying on past Perth mind you....

Still not convinced there's any justification for them carrying on past Perth mind you....

Having driven to Inverness recently I'd disagree there, it seemed a much less stressful journey. I didn't have one instance of someone hugging my tail trying to overtake. Never noticed any crazy overtaking moves coming the other way either. There seemed to be more space between vehicles and personally I felt less inclined to boot it whenever a big gap appeared to the car in front.

Having driven to Inverness recently I'd disagree there, it seemed a much less stressful journey. I didn't have one instance of someone hugging my tail trying to overtake. Never noticed any crazy overtaking moves coming the other way either. There seemed to be more space between vehicles and personally I felt less inclined to boot it whenever a big gap appeared to the car in front.

And, I think average journey times have only been increased by about 10 minutes.

I reckon they made my last journey up the road half an hour longer at least.

No traffic on the road but having to sit at the speed limit, what's the point in that?!!

Now that the actual works to dual the road have started, it is more like an extra 1/2 hour to Perth from Inverness. That is with only 1 stretch of road underway, wait until there are 2/3 parts on the go at the same time in the next couple of years.

Desperately needed upgrading, but the next decade (at least) is going to be a nightmare for regular travellers on the Inverness / Perth stretch of the A9

I think he means south past Perth. The Perth to Dunblane stretch. As it is dual carriageway all of that bit it isn't really needed and not sure why they continued it that far south.

Edited by iainmac1

I think he means south past Perth. The Perth to Dunblane stretch. As it is dual carriageway all of that bit it isn't really needed and not sure why they continued it that far south.

I've said before that it's crazy that you can do 80 pretty much all the way from Aberdeen to Perth then I'm forced to stick to 70 on that stretch.

As soon as you're past Dunblane you can go back to 80 again.

I've said before that it's crazy that you can do 80 pretty much all the way from Aberdeen to Perth then I'm forced to stick to 70 on that stretch.

As soon as you're past Dunblane you can go back to 80 again.

Or you can set your cruise control to 78 the whole way.

All these fools doing 65 in the outside lane mean I'm doing it in record time.

I've only been north of Perth on that road a few times in the last year. One positive, that no one above has mentioned, is HGV's being allowed to go 50. It really does reduce frustration when you get stuck behind one.

I've only been north of Perth on that road a few times in the last year. One positive, that no one above has mentioned, is HGV's being allowed to go 50. It really does reduce frustration when you get stuck behind one.

Aye thats defenitely a positive move. We are a long way off that being the norm, for all A roads, but on that particular stretch, it's fair enough.

Now that the actual works to dual the road have started, it is more like an extra 1/2 hour to Perth from Inverness. That is with only 1 stretch of road underway, wait until there are 2/3 parts on the go at the same time in the next couple of years.

Desperately needed upgrading, but the next decade (at least) is going to be a nightmare for regular travellers on the Inverness / Perth stretch of the A9

Even worse when some twat goes through the entire length of the roadworks at less than 30 (40 mph limit isn't it?).

Yes but id rather folk didnt drive like twats and i could continue to drive at a decent speed and not hsve to sit at 60/70 when its not needed.

As mentioned way back in the thread the reason for the cameras on that stretch was to reduce the chances of accidents around at-grade junctions, and touch wood it seems to have worked.

They did a similar thing on the A77 between Kilmarnock and Prestwick, actually reduced the speed limit to 50mph as well, which made a hugh difference. The old junctions there have since been replaced with split level interchanges and I have heard that the speed cameras are subsequently going to be switched off. I was in fact googling for details on when they're going to switch them off when I came across the A9 story yesterday.

Noticed that too now you mention it. i think that's definitely made a difference.

Edited by Toepoke

As mentioned way back in the thread the reason for the cameras on that stretch was to reduce the chances of accidents around at-grade junctions, and touch wood it seems to have worked.

They did a similar thing on the A77 between Kilmarnock and Prestwick, actually reduced the speed limit to 50mph as well, which made a hugh difference. The old junctions there have since been replaced with split level interchanges and I have heard that the speed cameras are subsequently going to be switched off. I was in fact googling for details on when they're going to switch them off when I came across the A9 story yesterday.

Noticed that too now you mention it. i think that's definitely made a difference.

I got a lift home from Prestwick Airport last month and didn't notice the junctions had been replaced. It always feels like you're crawling along after you slow down when you hit the 50 stretch at Bogend(?).

The Indian restaurant (that was previously a Little Chef) has always intrigued me as it's pretty isolated (although now I come to think of it you can no longer directly access it from the 77) - the car park seems busy enough in the evening so assume it must have a good enough reputation to attract customers from a fairly wide area (unless people simply spot it and develop a sudden urge for a lamb bhuna).

Edited by Charlie Endell

Was wondering that myself, about the bit from Killie to Prestwick.

No need for the 50mph limit now the junctions have been upgraded.

I've lost track of my speed a couple of times on that stretch.

At least we don't have much of that smart motorway! (I think there's some going from Fife to Edinburgh, but not a trip I make often).

Was driving to Coventry the other week at 9pm on a Monday night, and they appeared to just stick up a 50mph speed limit at random. This wasn't just one stretch it happened on 3 occasions, with no obvious reason.

Was wondering that myself, about the bit from Killie to Prestwick.

No need for the 50mph limit now the junctions have been upgraded.

I've lost track of my speed a couple of times on that stretch.

At least we don't have much of that smart motorway! (I think there's some going from Fife to Edinburgh, but not a trip I make often).

Was driving to Coventry the other week at 9pm on a Monday night, and they appeared to just stick up a 50mph speed limit at random. This wasn't just one stretch it happened on 3 occasions, with no obvious reason.

The smart motorways do make a big difference when traffic is heavy but I think you are right, occasionally they seem to be on for no apparent reason. I think sometimes it's a mistake and other times they are not switched off when they should be. Sometimes on the M25 you will get two or three in a row and then back to the national speed limit with nothing to suggest any difference, doesn't sound that smart to me.